Dad lost 40 lbs giving up diet drinks

Options
1235»

Replies

• SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options

"Researchers found that the diet soda drinkers had waist circumference increases of 70 percent greater than those who non-diet soda drinkers. And people who drank diet soda the most frequently -- at least two diet sodas a day -- had waist circumference increases that were 500 percent greater than people who didn't drink any diet soda, the study said.

I'd just like to point out that this has "chicken or the egg syndrome" all over it. Is their waist larger BECAUSE they drink diet soda OR are they drinking diet soda BECAUSE they have a bigger waist. As another poster pointed out "Correlation =/= Causation".

I drink diet soda every day. I have a very small waist. When I drank regular soda I had a larger waist. I am a firm believer in "calorie in vs calories out" and "everything in moderation".
    No, I don't think diet is "healthier" than regular. I think it has lower calories, and that's why I choose it.
  • demurefemme
    Options
    Ajinomoto (who manufacture aspartame) have harassed and intimidated researchers who investigate the effects of NNS and have directly funded a great deal of pro-aspartame research. I don't trust any industry that tries to stop research regarding their products.

There is a great deal of ongoing research, though, so expect a lot of answers within five to ten years - I believe at least one human study is currently awaiting IRB approval, though I may be mistaken. Correlation is relatively undisputed at this point (at least within the epidemiological community), but until human trials take place, it will be impossible to separate correlation from causation.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Ajinomoto (who manufacture aspartame) have harassed and intimidated researchers who investigate the effects of NNS and have directly funded a great deal of pro-aspartame research. I don't trust any industry that tries to stop research regarding their products.

:/

Good heavens... I work side-by-side with a whole floor of kick-*kitten* scientists who would never, ever suppress evidence that a substance is harmful just because some manufacturer is worried about money. And that's just my floor.

Occasionally, you'll get a scientist who's in it for the money, the prestige, or something else. But a whole bunch of us are in it because we actually care about humanity. And the frauds get outed eventually. That's why we have the whole peer-review process. It keeps us all honest.

They system works. It's not perfect, it takes a long time, but it works.

And aspartame has been on the market so long, I doubt Ajinomoto even cares.

And there HAVE been human trials. Go read that review article I linked. And look up the articles the author references. There's evidence to support anyone's bias.