Need easy protein ideas!!!

Options

Replies

• 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    My list of must-haves:

Eggs
    Tuna (canned, chunk light, in water not oil)
    Canned chicken
    Boneless skinless chicken breast
    Ground beef - even 80/20 is good if you rinse it well after browning.
    Cottage cheese

Take a look at inexpensive bodybuilding articles, google helps here. They have some good ideas for getting enough protein cheaply, since they're looking at hundreds of grams a day of protein.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    The oven broiler pan is your friend. Load it up with marinated (gallon freezer bags are handy) chicken, pork loin chops, round steak cutlets, turkey breast tenderloin, etc. Broil it one weekend afternoon.

You now have convenient protein to eat on during the week.
    I usually broil or grill 5 to 8 lbs of meat a weekend. Makes lunch and dinner during a busy week much easier.
  • Herownself
    Herownself Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I know you said no cooking but this is so easy and yummy. You can make extra for later in the week because it reheats well. I rewrote the recipe from George Stella for my diabetic no cooking friend.

EASY CHEESY CHILI CHICKEN
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 tablespoons cilantro (I used two cubes of Trader Joes frozen chopped)
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1 tablespoon cumin
    2 teaspoons salt
    1 clove garlic, chopped or out of jar
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne
    4-5 boneless skinless chicken breasts
    1 onion, sliced
    4 ounces, shredded cheese
    Throw the first 8 ingredients into a large zip loc bag. Mush together. Add chicken breasts and rub the seasoning mixture all over the meat until coated evenly. Marinate for a bit while you chop onion and make a salad. Place the chicken on a foil-lined baking sheet. Arrange the onions over the chicken. Bake at 400º for 20 minutes or until the chicken is just done. Do not overcook. Top with the cheese and return to oven until melted, about 5 minutes.
  • bbbbb33333
    bbbbb33333 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Cook up a buch of hard boiled eggs. Almonds.... always almonds
  • dorisholaway
    dorisholaway Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I love the Snickers Marathon protein bars, and also I buy the protein powder from walmart and make my own protein shake.
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    Greek yogurt, eggs, beans.
  • Partyofpugs
    Options
    Kashi cereal has a lot of protein for a cereal - up to 9 grams per cup!
  • JennyAnnLanders
    JennyAnnLanders Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Eggs. I usually put 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites in a bowl, add 1 teaspoon of milk, cook in the microwave a minute, take out and stir in 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese. Great source of protein. If you're lacto-ovo veg then this won't help. But if you aren't and you need a low cal, decent protein amount, here ya go.
  • Indy_Mario
    Options
    I'm easy! :wink:
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Am i the only one that doesn't consider nuts/nut butters high in protein?

Nope. It's just about as qualified as me suggesting baby batter. Or bukkake facial cleansers.

HA! (and no, I don't consider nut/nut butters high in protein BUT they are a good source of healthy fats!)
  • eddyca
    eddyca Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Fat-free cottage cheese and greek yogurt! Just mix with an apple or granola and you'll be set
    Also, chicken and wild caught Alaskan Salmon (check out this easy recipe: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/393201-315-calories-sweet-and-sour-sockeye-salmon-w-brown-rice?hl=sweet+and+sour+salmon#posts-5388934)
    I noticed when I started eating salmon my weight loss sped up... I think it's the omega-3's and selenium
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Am i the only one that doesn't consider nuts/nut butters high in protein?

No, I like nuts and nut butters but the calories per protein gram are ATROCIOUS. And they aren't that high in protein per serving, period. 2 servings of reduced fat triscuits are 6 grams of protein, 6 grams of fiber, and 240 calories. An ounce of almonds is 7 grams of protein, 4 grams of fiber, and 180 calories, but no one ever talks about how triscuits are a great source of protein. Fat profile is better of course, and if you are eating low carb, etc etc.

OP - depends how hard of a time you are having hitting your macro. The easiest way to pack in a bunch of protein for not a lot of calories is a scoop of protein powder - NOT those premixed protein shakes. Generally you're looking at 130-150 calories for 30 grams of protein power, most of the quality ones taste fine or even quite good shaken with water, skim milk, or almond milk. I actually like almond milk over skim milk but skim milk adds more protein. You can put a scoop in a shaker and take it around with you and then just add liquid when you are ready to have it.

Did anyone even mention skim milk? Lots of protein and easy to find anywhere (lots of sugar too though).
  • xXKatrinaXx
    Options
    thanks for all the good ideas.

one question...i LOVE greek yoghurts but my husband says they are unhealthy because they have too much sodium???
  • eddyca
    eddyca Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    ^ No way! Fage Total 0% has a measly 65mg of sodium in a single serving cup
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Eat anything that used to have a face.

Plus low fat dairy.

My recipes are here.
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VErSXFGCZ7Legqi0bt5S-x2WR68sfKvqrcASf6hC7CI/edit?hl=en_US

Heaps of high protein ones there.
  • kybrandyb
    kybrandyb Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt has 14 grams i personally like chobani brand
    beef jerky
    peanut butter
    nuts
    eggs
    meats
    these are my favs
    i forgot beans

13253140.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • skb32881
    skb32881 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I use non fat plain greek yogurt for all kinds of things and it bumps the protein up. I eat it with tuna instead of mayo almost every day and it's a great source of protein. You can make chicken salad with it too or use it as a base in smoothies or make dressing out of it by adding some of that powdered ranch. It's not good just by itself but mixed with stuff it's pretty awesome. And I'm pretty sure it's not high in sodium although I've never really checked.....

I also love string cheese and balance bars (200 cals) for easy protein snacks. I have an open diary and I don't do much cooking so feel free to check it out :). I usually meet or go over my protein goals.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Just a commnent -- all greek yogurt is NOT created equal.

REad the label...if there is more sugar than protein - it's not worth buying
    Look for the stuff that is more like 100cals a cup, 17-20g protein and 0-7g sugar -- NOT the stuff with 22g sugar and 5g protein.

Chobani makes a lot of sugar filled ones -- but they also make a 0% that is good.
    Same with Fage -- watch out for fruity/honey ones and flavor things yourself.
  • BarbiNay
    BarbiNay Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Protein powder and bars. I use Atkins bars and Jillian Michaels powder
  • RachelJE
    RachelJE Posts: 172
    Options
    I do 2 protein shakes a day plus 4 snacks/small meals. There are endless recipes out there - everything from fruity to savory to coffee style drinks. Hubby grills for me each Sunday, and I chop up the meat into chunks and put it in pre-measured servings (chicken, pork, steak plus chunks of cheese) in the fridge so they are easy to grab and I know just how much (3 oz per baggie) I am getting. Get a neutral protein powder and add to spaghetti sauce, soups, yogurt, etc. Greek yogurt is great. Tuna is high - I do a tuna melt (tuna with cheese) that has 50 grams or something crazy. Also protein bars are great for in-between meal snacking.