Saggy skin, stretch marks, and all the things no one talks a

Options
13»

Replies

• Murlin54
    Murlin54 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    GNC sells a product/supplement that is suppose to boost collagen. A friend of mine bought some because she has problems with collagen production apparently. I haven't asked her if she could tell any difference with it but I was considering getting some myself. I think I will try to research it a bit. I wonder if it could help with the sagging skin.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I have lost around 60lbs so far, which is a significant amount for someone my height (5' 1.5"). I have about 12 more pounds to go.

I think my stretch marks are disappearing. I used to have a lot of them on my upper arms near the armpits. I looked just now, and I don't have any on my right arm. My left arm still has some, but not as much as before, it seems like.

On a possibly relevant note, I had a scar on my face from a dog bite from 2003 or so. For the past few years, the scar looked exactly the same (like an elongated bump, the size of a single orzo grain). This morning, I noticed it was completely GONE. I didn't know it was possible for old scars to vanish without surgery. This may have been caused by eating healthy and exercising.

The only place where I got saggy skin is between my butt and my thighs, and it's not that bad.
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Usually, saggy skin only happens in extremely obese people and stretch marks only occur in people who lose alot of weight VERY quickly (the unhealthy way).

I had stretch marks at age 12. I went from a very short kid to average hight for my age and ended up with stretch marks as a result. And my DH has some & he's never been obese.

Now I am obese and have a very saggy belly. I very much doubt that it will 'bounce back' at my age, but I'd much rather be fit with a bit of loose skin than the way I am now.
    If it gets me down too much I could always resort to surgery.
  • uk_ja
    uk_ja Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    No one is the same and the results will different. I went from 320lb to 180lb over the course of 18 months and I have spent 9 months at 180lb so far. The skin is slowly reducing but I would rather be 180lb with lots of hanging skin that 320lb

When I first hit around 180lb from 320lb
    http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq337/xanthath/Weight photos/Picture001.jpg

Last month and this week
    http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq337/xanthath/Weight photos/P90XDay1-Day30.jpg
  • davendeejones
    Options
    Top weight 350ish hard to find a scale that accurate back then...Now 261....already see the saggy skin in my face, arms, thighs .I have made mention to my friends to stay back cause those arm flaps can cause serious damage if i pick up speed...lol...I do the gym at least 3 times a week and have a weight workout to go along with the 45min of cardio ...i read that muscle pulls the skin toward it...???...we shall see...I don't lift anything under 100lbs...squat/calves machine -175 lower back machine- 160 anything lower body 150 and up...upper body not that strong yet...i do the show me your muscle pose in the mirror....I see the definition in my upper body (neck, shoulders, biceps) and then i see massive flap of skin hanging down off of it. when i was fat (fatter) my skin was tight and i could wear sleeveless shirts, as i live in Florida, but now there is no way i can wear them. i have mixed feelings about all of this stuff... as a fatter person I was never unhealthy (laugh, but even my doctor commented on it saying she couldn't believe my numbers) good sugar, good cholesterol, good BP, I attribute it to not yo yoing and dieting, i gained my weight with both kids (100lbs each) lost a little between but when the second came around and the weight came again i gave up...husband never said anything about it so i didn't do anything about it...anyway, I know no one wants to be fat or unhealthy and neither do i ... and everyone here says they would rather have the saggy skin... i, personally, don't like getting slapped by my own arm every time i brush my teeth! Don't get me wrong, I plan on continuing this journey and saving my pennies to have it all removed at some point....just wondered if anyone else had mixed feelings?
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I didn't have any kids, thought my stomach was safe. It wasn't. I carried my weight all over, but always had a smaller waist and bigger hips and thighs. I lost 70 pounds slowly, and that didn't save me. NO stretch marks on my arms either, but they are very saggy. My doctor said gaining up to 205 later in life is what did me in. I had that weight for maybe 5 years. The skin didn't really start to sag on my arms until I got closer to my goal weight (135) Maybe around 140ish. I'd still rather be smaller than risking my health. I did work out with light weights and all during my weight loss and have built up some muscles, but not big enough, plus I'll be 55 this month. If you have stretch marks, your skin is already ruined and the marks will fade, but the skin is already broken there. As for places without stretch marks like my arms and stomach, the are like deflated balloons. I'll keep working towards exercise which is good for you regardless of how your skin responds. I'm still very proud of the 70 pounds I've lost!
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    On the contrary, on MFP people talk about these constantly, including giving you useless advice on how to get rid of it.

First, you'd have the stretch marks whether you lose weight or not, so they're not really a weight loss issue.

I got a bad biological/genetic hand. I've done all the stuff people say helps with extra skin (e.g. exercise, weights, "give it a couple of years," etc.) and I still look nasty. I dislike it, and it makes doing some things I love to do more difficult (i.e. pole dancing, where you need to use your skin to grip the pole). BUT...and this is a very important but, even my nasty, irritating, pisses me off, extra skin is better than being morbidly obese. No one gets diabetes, heart disease, etc. from extra skin (at least not that I know of). My extra skin doesn't give me back spasms the way being really heavy used to. When I've got clothes on, no one can see it, while no amount of clothing hides being morbidly obese. Basically, I wish I could be one of those women who lost a lot of weight and can now rock a bikini, but I'm not, and, without major surgery I never will be. Life goes on. I'd still rather have the extra skin than the 90 or so pounds of fat I lost.
  • btnyegurl
    btnyegurl Posts: 27
    Options
    Stretch marks and other scars will always be the bane of my existence but you just have to try and move past it. You are working hard for the body that you deserve, so what if it shows how difficult the journey was?
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost 50 (lost a few before joining MFP)...I don't have any sagging skin, probably because I lost the weight slowly, giving my body the ability to reshape. When someone has quite a bit of weight to lose, some sagging skin may be inevitable, but taking it slow is the way to go. When people lose too rapidly I think they have more of a chance of having the sagging skin.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I have some saggy skin on my lower belly (you can only really see it if I bend over). It has been nearly 2 years since I lost the weight and while my belly is smaller, the skin isn't changing at all. I have come to accept that there's only so much you can do to your body and expect it to bounce back. I had 2 kids in 2.5 years AND I went from 120 (or possibly less) pounds to 203lbs in that same period of time. Now, I'm down around 145-150lbs and I accept that my skin just isn't going to go back to "normal". I'm older (36 years old) and it just doesn't have the elasticity anymore. Everyone else looks firm and tone, but my belly. I'm okay with it. I don't need a perfectly flat belly nor do I need to look perfect. :)

I do have stretch marks, but they have faded over time and the same color as my skin now. I do moisturize my skin everyday after I shower - not because I think it is some miracle cure, I do it because it makes my skin feel better.
  • hedwighigh
    hedwighigh Posts: 299
    Options
    I don't have many stretch marks but I do have loose skin around my naval. My belly button looks like it's frowning and my breasts sag because I went from a DD to a high B/low C.

I feel like moisturizer is helping my breasts and I've been doing Jillian Michaels' DVDs (so far 30 Day Shred and Ripped in 30) and the skin on my stomach has been improving and that might be helping my chest too. I don't think it'll ever be completely flat but there is improvement.
  • PoleBoy
    PoleBoy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    My saggy belly and moobs are *slowly* improving, but I doubt I'm ever going to be modelling underwear
  • Dogwalker1989
    Options
    I lost 98lbs originally and had lose skin on my stomach, top of my thighs, arms and back.

I've given up on ever having a flat stomach, but to be honest that doesn't bother me too much - it's more the arms that do.

2 years have gone since then and it hasimproved a little, but that might be partly because I'm 27lbs heavier (10lbs of which was intentional).

Some people are lucky and there skin shrinks back. But I didn't really expect mine to as I've been overweight/obese since I was 4 till I was 22 and above 200lbs from aged 12 onwards. So my skin wasn't just stretched for a few years then stretched back, it probably developed this way.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I've lost 55lbs slowly and still got saggy arms... I hate them. Guess there's not much I can do as I cannot afford surgery. I've got another 70+ to loose and worry about what they'll look like then x
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I've lost 85 pounds, and the only extra skin I have is on my stomach (it's basically just like having a little pooch). My arms also aren't as tight as I'd like them to be, but when I do a lot of push ups, they usually get better. My stretch marks are invisible, which is probably mostly due to the fact that I lost the weight in my early twenties. I guess my inner thighs are a little stretchy, too, but I look a hell of a lot better than a lot of people I know who haven't lost 85 pounds, haha. I sound like a jerk, but hey, I earned it
  • LisaMariaCallow
    Options
    I lost 30 lbs last year; I did it slowly (2 lbs/wk over 6 months) & I work out 5-6 days a week (cardio and weight training) I'm also a freak about moisturizing my skin (I'm a cosmetic manager/makeup artist so it's my job!!) I don't have any saggy skin and the only stretch marks are on my lower abdomen from pregnancies. I'm maintaining my weight loss and am working on continuing to tighten everything up.
  • Christina_3192
    Christina_3192 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have had stretch marks since I was 13, have them on my breasts, and hips. Which weren't from being over weight as I was maybe 110 pounds lol.
    So stretch marks happen regardless of weight, just depends on how elastic your skin is.

My skin doesn't stretch well, I always get them whenever I grow, and unfortunately from gaining 40 pounds some grew longer on my hips and gave me them on my inner thighs -.-".
    Losing weight has kept em from getting any worse, and cocoa butter really is helping fade them into silver faster.

I don't mind them too much when they are silver/white. I just hate them when they are purple/look like angry worms.

I feel lucky that I haven't noticed any loose skin. Two years ago when I lost a lot of weight I didn't get any so I'm hoping that I can avoid it now, even though I am trying to lose about double from last time.
    I am trying to do a lot of strength as I shrink to avoid it.
    If it happens though, whatever, I'll take health over my vanity any day.