Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Weight falls after cheat days?

So, a question for anyone who may have experience or advice about this...I'm stuck at my last 10 lbs and would really like to still lose some belly fat. The scale shows 150 almost every day (I'm eating at 1500 cals + exercise calories, I workout 5-6 times a week) but the scale drops whenever I have a cheat day. It also dropped a bit after Thanksgiving weekend when I didn't log at all. But as soon as I get back on track, my weight goes back up to 150. For example, I had a pizza dinner date last night and I am down a pound this morning (this has become my standard result for the 3-4 days a month I eat out or drink) where the rest of month I stayed really good and my weight didn't budge.

Can anyone explain why this might be and how I should use this info to go forward in hitting my goal weight?

Replies

• also stuck on the same # on the scale. Very interested in what people have to say about this.
  • Uh... eat more?
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    It's not fat loss, it's water.

It's because after a cheat day, your body taps into your glycogen stores for energy the next time you have a calorie deficit. For every ounce of glycogen, it takes 3 ounces of water to store it. But after a few days, your body puts the glycogen (and the water) back.

ETA this is also why people often lose 4-10 pound their first week on a diet. When you first go into a calorie deficit, the body thinks it's temporary so it uses our glycogen stores. After a while, the body figures out it's not temporary and starts burning fat instead. At that point, the glycogen gets put back (along with the water) and that's why many people don't lose the second week (or don't lose as much)>
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,312 Member
    It's not fat loss, it's water.

It's because after a cheat day, your body taps into your glycogen stores for energy the next time you have a calorie deficit. For every ounce of glycogen, it takes 3 ounces of water to store it. But after a few days, your body puts the glycogen (and the water) back.

That makes no sense. I understand the process, but this is the reverse. If what you said is the case weight should go up right after the cheat day when those glycogen stores are replenished, then slowly drop as those stores are used up and the water is no longer needed to store the glycogen. I think you have this backward.

To the original poster, what is your calorie deficit set at for the week? Maybe you need to reduce it to something smaller.
  • gawd I hate when weight drops after a cheat day. Then everytime I want to cheat again I think "well what about that one time my weight DROPPED after eating this stuff?" It makes it feel okay...
  • truelypinkthing
    truelypinkthing Posts: 164 Member
    I think you should try zigzagging for a week or two. Keep your weekly average on target but over eat some days and under-eat others, it fools your body into thinking your not starving yourself. I cant explain how it works but it did for me. And make sure you are eating the calories you burn, and vary what you eat. My husband, who is stuck at 4lb off his target has a tendency to repeat his meals with boring regularity and is now trying to mix it up a bit, again so his body doesn't plateau .
  • Ashalena
    Ashalena Posts: 162
    I'm not claiming to be an expert here but this sounds like zigzagging. Long explanation short, zigzagging is eating the same amount of calories 6 days a week, then one day, you spike your calories. It's apparently because you are "shocking" your metabolism. Google "zigzagging" It's a really popular diet technique. When my weight stops, I zigzag for a few weeks, and it usually drops.
  • Ashalena
    Ashalena Posts: 162
    I'm not claiming to be an expert here but this sounds like zigzagging. Long explanation short, zigzagging is eating the same amount of calories 6 days a week, then one day, you spike your calories. It's apparently because you are "shocking" your metabolism. Google "zigzagging" It's a really popular diet technique. When my weight stops, I zigzag for a few weeks, and it usually drops.

here's a helpful website that will calculate your "zig-zag" calorie schedule
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Go to bodyrecomposition.com and read Lyle's series on Leptin for a better understanding of this. Last time I tried to quote it I butchered it badly, but in short, Leptin is a hormone in the fat cells and it plays a role in fat loss. When you eat at a deficit for long periods, Leptin can decrease and this can slow fat loss. Doing a refeed (carbohydrate spike) can bump Leptin levels back up which then has the potential to start fat loss going again. Cheat days can accomplish this.
  • nellie_88
    nellie_88 Posts: 256 Member
    bump
  • I love this post ! I was wondering the same thing!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member
    Go to bodyrecomposition.com and read Lyle's series on Leptin for a better understanding of this. Last time I tried to quote it I butchered it badly, but in short, Leptin is a hormone in the fat cells and it plays a role in fat loss. When you eat at a deficit for long periods, Leptin can decrease and this can slow fat loss. Doing a refeed (carbohydrate spike) can bump Leptin levels back up which then has the potential to start fat loss going again. Cheat days can accomplish this.

I'm not an expert, but I think this is probably closest to right.

I don't worry about zigzagging. I just don't stress myself about hitting a certainly calorie mark. Generally, that means that I only eat back my exercise calories when I want to. That doesn't really equate to a cheat day. It's more like I don't eat my exercise calories so I can cave into the occassional temptation. Of course, this is where the practice in moderation comes in. Basically, I just keep my cals somewhere within a certain range everyday, and monitor my sodium like a hawk. I honestly believe that this method has kept me from hitting a plateau for the last 7 1/2 months. I have experienced fluctuation, but never a plateau.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member

This is why I lost weight by not eating my exercise calories and sticking to 1200 calories (gasp!). I had/have binge days a few times a month....and when I say binge, I mean BINGE.....like too much to log. It keeps me from getting burnt out on being perfect all the time. :bigsmile:
  • guntherma
    guntherma Posts: 115 Member
    Sometimes you have just gotta trust your gut, literally. I have had that, where there are days that I don't get to log everything I eat or see how many calories I have burned - but apparently I only ate when I was hungry and managed to lose a couple pounds. Sometimes I think that thinking about it all of the time makes us want to eat more than we really need to. Although, that usually is only good for me for about a week and then I better start tracking again because I fall into my old habits of eating when I really shouldn't.
  • bump
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    When you cheat, your often get a whoosh - which is water weight being shed from fat cells.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html
  • cbear017
    cbear017 Posts: 345 Member
    I've noticed the same thing, that's why I have now instituted a once-weekly cheat day. For example, I average 1400 calories on my non-cheat days (6x a week) and eat back exercise calories then every Saturday it's party time...hello McDonald's! It's fun, it keeps my body guessing and it keeps me good and saintly for the rest of the week.

I'm not sure about the exact science behind it though I do remember reading that article of Lyle McDonald's Sidesteal was referring to earlier.
  • carrie_eggo
    When you cheat, your often get a whoosh - which is water weight being shed from fat cells.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html

From ^this:
    Finally, many have reported whooshes following an evening which included alcohol. A mild diuretic, this would also tend to implicate water balance issues in the whoosh phenomenon.

OP, I looked at your diary and you did have alcohol last night. If you usually drink on your cheat days, this could be why.

:smile: :drinker: :smile:
  • carrie_eggo
    Damn, can't get the quote thing right....:blushing:
  • steffiejoe
    steffiejoe Posts: 313 Member
    Interesting, I am trying cheat (carb load) days for 30 days to see how it goes. After my first 2 cheat days my weight went up 3 pounds. I did not freak out cause I figured it was just water weight. On the 4th day my weight was back down and I had lost a pound and a half.

I spent weeks researching carb cycling before I attempted this method. So far I am pleased with the results from my first go at it. I am very close to my goal weigh (5 more pounds) . But my new goal is to get my BF% down. I plan to keep having my cheat days.