Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Weight falls after cheat days?

Replies

• ahmpierce1
    ahmpierce1 Posts: 221 Member
    bump :)
  • outtanms
    outtanms Posts: 237 Member
    bump
  • Bump to read later
  • AriannaTiyen42
    AriannaTiyen42 Posts: 86 Member
    bump :smile:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,887 Member
    Go to bodyrecomposition.com and read Lyle's series on Leptin for a better understanding of this. Last time I tried to quote it I butchered it badly, but in short, Leptin is a hormone in the fat cells and it plays a role in fat loss. When you eat at a deficit for long periods, Leptin can decrease and this can slow fat loss. Doing a refeed (carbohydrate spike) can bump Leptin levels back up which then has the potential to start fat loss going again. Cheat days can accomplish this.
    THIS. This is why I have myself and clients do carb cycling.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • tbrewst
    tbrewst Posts: 93 Member
    bump
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Go to bodyrecomposition.com and read Lyle's series on Leptin for a better understanding of this. Last time I tried to quote it I butchered it badly, but in short, Leptin is a hormone in the fat cells and it plays a role in fat loss. When you eat at a deficit for long periods, Leptin can decrease and this can slow fat loss. Doing a refeed (carbohydrate spike) can bump Leptin levels back up which then has the potential to start fat loss going again. Cheat days can accomplish this.
    THIS. This is why I have myself and clients do carb cycling.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

OK, Going to do this ^^ Tonight, carbs>pasta
  • Love the sharing and support you all give one another!
    I have a question... Carrie posted that she "read OP's diary."
    I did not know that was possible. We can read each others diaries?
    How does that work? I assume it is by permission only. Like between buddies or something?
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Love the sharing and support you all give one another!
    I have a question... Carrie posted that she "read OP's diary."
    I did not know that was possible. We can read each others diaries?
    How does that work? I assume it is by permission only. Like between buddies or something?

If the person's diary is open to the public anyone can read it. It can also be private, open to friends only, or open with a password.

EDIT: It varies from person to person depending on how they have it set up.
  • NaturalinCO
    NaturalinCO Posts: 164 Member
    I think you should try zigzagging for a week or two. Keep your weekly average on target but over eat some days and under-eat others, it fools your body into thinking your not starving yourself. I cant explain how it works but it did for me. And make sure you are eating the calories you burn, and vary what you eat. My husband, who is stuck at 4lb off his target has a tendency to repeat his meals with boring regularity and is now trying to mix it up a bit, again so his body doesn't plateau .

I recently read about this very thing and have considered zig-zagging my calories from day to day because the VERY same thing happens to ME!! I don't quite understand it, but it's like my body is SO happy to get some extra to work with the scale is down the next morning!! Crazy.
  • Suzanne106
    Suzanne106 Posts: 149 Member
    The same thing happens to me as well. I think it's because you are not working your muscles and afterall muscle does weigh more than fat. Don't worry about it and don't put too much stock into it, just be happy with it :bigsmile:
  • sparklyball
    sparklyball Posts: 93 Member
    bump
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    This phenomena is something that my doctor has actually requested that I do. She calls it metabolism spiking. Eating the same calorie content day in and day out seems to make me stay the same day in and day out, yeah I lose some but the drastic loss has been when I really EFF with my metabolism. I never go over but I do what I can do go between 1000 and my max allotted with weight loss. So one day I ll do 1000 the next day I ll do like 1900 the next day 1600 and really try to focus on accurate counts.

Seems to work for me. It works in vice versa with me I will stick at say 1800 every day, then I go to 1200 and viola loss of weight. Usually it is the opposite though I am at 1400 every day for a week then I spike to 1900 or 2000 and I drop like 4 lbs in one day.

It works for me, Im not saying it works for every one. I am not a doctor, I just play one in bed.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Sometimes a good feeding shocks your metabolism, and you can reset your internal thermostat that's often fooled into thinking our diets are a famine. Once that happens metabolism shuts down, so do as I do, and once each week, I eat like a horse. ENJOY!
  • LethaSue
    LethaSue Posts: 285 Member
    What ever it is, it cant be fat. It can be water or solids that have not made it out of your body yet. But actual fat cannot form in a few hours. It cannot disolve in a few hours either.
  • eddyca
    eddyca Posts: 153 Member
    It's not fat loss, it's water.

It's because after a cheat day, your body taps into your glycogen stores for energy the next time you have a calorie deficit. For every ounce of glycogen, it takes 3 ounces of water to store it. But after a few days, your body puts the glycogen (and the water) back.

That makes no sense. I understand the process, but this is the reverse. If what you said is the case weight should go up right after the cheat day when those glycogen stores are replenished, then slowly drop as those stores are used up and the water is no longer needed to store the glycogen. I think you have this backward.

To the original poster, what is your calorie deficit set at for the week? Maybe you need to reduce it to something smaller.
    ^^^ best advise EVER
  • Ruchell
    Ruchell Posts: 236 Member

It's because after a cheat day, your body taps into your glycogen stores for energy the next time you have a calorie deficit. For every ounce of glycogen, it takes 3 ounces of water to store it. But after a few days, your body puts the glycogen (and the water) back.

ETA this is also why people often lose 4-10 pound their first week on a diet. When you first go into a calorie deficit, the body thinks it's temporary so it uses our glycogen stores. After a while, the body figures out it's not temporary and starts burning fat instead. At that point, the glycogen gets put back (along with the water) and that's why many people don't lose the second week (or don't lose as much)>

I've never heard of this before, I I guess i will get to googling. Thanks!
  • Ruchell

That makes no sense. I understand the process, but this is the reverse. If what you said is the case weight should go up right after the cheat day when those glycogen stores are replenished, then slowly drop as those stores are used up and the water is no longer needed to store the glycogen. I think you have this backward.

To the original poster, what is your calorie deficit set at for the week? Maybe you need to reduce it to something smaller.

I have my deficit set at 1 pound loss a week. About halfway through my weight loss I bumped it down from 2 lbs a week because of a plateau, so maybe I need to move it down to .5 a week now that I'm closer to my goal. Thanks for the idea!
  • Ruchell
    gawd I hate when weight drops after a cheat day. Then everytime I want to cheat again I think "well what about that one time my weight DROPPED after eating this stuff?" It makes it feel okay...

I know! Its not the kind of encouragement that I need!
  • Ruchell
    I think you should try zigzagging for a week or two. Keep your weekly average on target but over eat some days and under-eat others, it fools your body into thinking your not starving yourself. I cant explain how it works but it did for me. And make sure you are eating the calories you burn, and vary what you eat. My husband, who is stuck at 4lb off his target has a tendency to repeat his meals with boring regularity and is now trying to mix it up a bit, again so his body doesn't plateau .

Thank you. Maybe my body is just getting too accustomed to what I've been doing and needs a change.