Yummy spinach shake recipe...and I hate spinach

Options
kikkipoo
kikkipoo Posts: 292 Member
I've been following Drew Manning's journey from Fit Personal trainer who intentionally let himself go for 6 months to experience what it was like to go from fat and fit on www.fit2fat2fit.com and he has been eating this spinach shake for breakfast every morning since he started his journey back to fit. I thought it was worth a shot and I am so glad I did. It is now my staple in my home for both hubby and me. At first I was leery. I hate spinach. But you can not taste it at all. And I was scared of the calories because it clocked in at 400 if you drink the whole thing, which I assure you, you will......but WOW. I'm full for the longest time and on a side note spinach is a natural diuretic and mild laxative....read that as great DETOX....and you'll be expeling more, umm, stuff....to make you even remotely worry about the calorie content.

Ingredients

Makes 1 1/2 servings

3 cups spinach-I use Taylor Farms Baby Spinach 3 oz
2 cups ice
1/2 banana
2 tbsp of natural peanut butter-I make my own at WINCO, their store has a bulk selection like coffee beans you grind your own
1 scoop vanilla protein powder-I use GNC Pro Performance 100% Whey Protein Powder (mmm mmmm mmmmmm)
3/4 cup of unsweetened almond milk-I use Blue Diamond Original unsweetened (milk works too, but I think Drew is lactose intolerant)

Directions
Add all ingredients to blender and blend on high speed, until completely mixed. *Note* Unless you have a phenomenal industrial blender you'll want to do this an ingredient or two at a time or you will have trouble getting it to all blend together well at one whack.

Pour shake into glass and enjoy!

Replies

• DrG3n3
    DrG3n3 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    This sounds delicious. I am going to give it a try maybe this weekend :) Thanks.
  • sugartwist
    sugartwist Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Sounds tasty!
  • kikkipoo
    Options
    You won't be dissapointed. Enjoy!
  • juliep1974
    juliep1974 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    bump
  • aregensb
    aregensb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    also bumping... thanks for the recipe :smile:
  • kikkipoo
    Options
    This recipe as is gives you about 23 grams of protein. I have also considered adding an additional scoop of Unjury unflavored protein powder to it as well. Won't alter the taste but will crank it up a notch to a heck of a post-strength training session recovery drink with 43 grams of protein.
  • MelissaRaeTerry
    MelissaRaeTerry Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    bump
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I LOVE green smoothies. I always keep some spinach in the freezer for it (I buy bags when they're on sale) and I'm trying to start drinking one every day again. I always change up what's in them...usually basics of spinach, banana, orange juice/milk then some other fruit or yogurt. I also like adding coconut oil, coconut milk, ground flaxseed, peanut butter, etc. Num num num. :)
  • kikkipoo
    Options
    Bumping for my buddy! :)
  • regmcc
    regmcc Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    bump :happy:
  • RAQUELINATOVAR
    RAQUELINATOVAR Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    thanks.
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    bump
  • theresagal329
    Options
    So I actually tired this today bc I seen that guy on Dr Oz... It was ok... I could not drink it all it was way to much for me, but not bc I didnt like it. Not sure if I will continue but we shall see how I feel after about a week of this... i was also freaked by the amount of calories in it but it does have tons of protein so...
  • TigersFanIndy34
    Options
    bump
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,155 Member
    Options
    Interesting.
  • Switty_Kitty
    Switty_Kitty Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Sounds so good! I love spinach (eat one or two spinach salads a day lol) so I am definately going to try this! Thank you for sharing!
  • sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Tonekupone
    Tonekupone Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I do one similar but use kale. BTW, what does "bump" mean
  • Iluvchopsticks
    Iluvchopsticks Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried that specific recipe but I have been adding spinach into my protein shakes for a while. I find it doesn't take away from the taste and is a great way to get in some added nutrition.
  • AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious. I just need a bag of spinach.