counting cals doesnt work

Options
Apparently it doesn't work. I have been stuck at this plateau for months. 144-145.
I work out, I've changed my work outs. I've tried eating less cals, I've tried eating my exercise cals. No change. Wtf am I doing wrong? I even eat way healthier food. I lost weight faster back when I ate crap and just busted my *kitten* on the elliptical 45-60mins a day. But then I try and lose weight the "right" way it doesn't work.

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Apparently it doesn't work. I have been stuck at this plateau for months. 144-145.
    I work out, I've changed my work outs. I've tried eating less cals, I've tried eating my exercise cals. No change. Wtf am I doing wrong? I even eat way healthier food. I lost weight faster back when I ate crap and just busted my *kitten* on the elliptical 45-60mins a day. But then I try and lose weight the "right" way it doesn't work.

I understand your frustration but the counting of calories isn't to blame here.

I have a legitimate question and I'm not saying this to irritate you:
    If you lost weight faster by eating crap and busting *kitten* on the elliptical, why did you change that and why aren't you going back to that?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,531 Member
    Options
    What is your exercise program?

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • KCarpenter83
    KCarpenter83 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It SHOULD work, and if you really are doing it correctly and logging every single thing you put in your mouth without fail, etc, and its not working you need to consult someone. Go see a nutritionist for a personalized plan, and go see your doctor and explain this situation. You could have something medical going on, like low thyroid for example, that could be keeping you from losing the weight. How long have you been trying?
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

I understand your frustration but the counting of calories isn't to blame here.

I have a legitimate question and I'm not saying this to irritate you:
    If you lost weight faster by eating crap and busting *kitten* on the elliptical, why did you change that and why aren't you going back to that?

I genuinely don't like eating the crap I did before and had elevated bp from it so I don't want to eat crap for health reasons. I will try going back to the elliptical like before though
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I would answer Ninerbuff's questions and see what he has to say.

My first thoughts on this however, are one of the following possibilities:

1) Your hormone levels are interfering with fat loss.
    2) You are eating too many calories.

That's just my opinion.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose ANYthing for 7 weeks and then out of nowhere without changing my routine the weight started coming off. My best advice stick to a healthy lifestyle and focus less on the weight. Incorporate more strength training. And lastly realize that if this is a lifestyle change you have a long long long time to enjoy your body, don't rush your goals or expect to see immediate results.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    What is your exercise program?

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I mostly do videos. I was doing turbofire. That didn't work so I went back to doing my jillian ones and added weight and do the more advanced versions of her exercises. I was doing the killer buns and thighs 3 days a week and ripped in 30 four days a week and piloxing 2 days a week. So some days I did more than one video. I can workout at the student gym which is pretty crappy but it has some weights and cardio equipment so I guess I will try that. When I do go there I do interval cardio.
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Are you on the pill?
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    I also use a hrm to get more accurate cl counts on my.workouts.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Are you on the pill?

Multiple studies show that the pill does NOT affect weight loss. The only form of birth control that is proven to cause weight gain is the depo provera shot. so, are you on depo? Do you have thyroid problems? Are there any other medical factors that could be causing this?
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    I take loestrin24 Fe which is the lowest dose pill I think. The only other thing I take is allegra d. I also had a decrease in appetite with this pill, with others I had an increase.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    If you opened you're diary to the public it might help people help you. If we don't know how many calories you are eating we can't tell why it might not be working.
  • amyllu
    amyllu Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I counted calories and from April 2010 till the xmas time that year I lost 30lb thereabouts. I then had a bit of a relaxing time and got back to it in the January this year and on the same amount of calories as before ..1200, only to find that my weight wouldnt budge. I then dropped it to 1000 and later on to 800 for a few weeks but even that wouldn't shift any more pounds. I do have an under active thyroid which I take meds for and am disabled so exercising is out for me, but I can well understand that with all your exercising and not loosing any more can be most annoying to say the least.
    Do get your thyroid checked out as suggested and perhaps your doc will prescribe some tabs to help you.
    Unfortunatley my doc won't agree to that for me altho' I would do ANYTHING to get my weight shifting again!!
    Wish you all success and hope you get your problem sorted soon...:smile:
  • PBJunky
    Options
    Are you on the pill?

Multiple studies show that the pill does NOT affect weight loss. The only form of birth control that is proven to cause weight gain is the depo provera shot. so, are you on depo? Do you have thyroid problems? Are there any other medical factors that could be causing this?

Is this your multiple studies that you are referring to?
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16389209
  • beyg
    beyg Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    i can related to your problem; consider this the next time you see your gp ask for a tsh fsh hormone panel hormones will affect weight on females. Good luck and the most important part is not to gain back.
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options

I mostly do videos. I was doing turbofire. That didn't work so I went back to doing my jillian ones and added weight and do the more advanced versions of her exercises. I was doing the killer buns and thighs 3 days a week and ripped in 30 four days a week and piloxing 2 days a week. So some days I did more than one video. I can workout at the student gym which is pretty crappy but it has some weights and cardio equipment so I guess I will try that. When I do go there I do interval cardio.

When you say Turbo Fire didn't work, what do you mean?

How long did you do it for? What was your expectations?

I've been doing Turbo Fire since March and since then I have lost 28 pounds and arond 20 inches all over. Was it all from Turbo Fire? Maybe... but I have no way of knowing that it definitely was. I'm just happy to have achieved that loss.
  • adhillman01
    Options
    Are you on the pill?

Not sure if you were supporting her or saying that birth control hinders weight loss. That study supports what she said, that Depo Provera (DMPA) is shown to cause weight gain. The girls on oral contraceptives (OC) actually gained less weight then the control group. Also, that study has nothing to do with people actively trying to lose weight. It was a study that just observed the amount of weight gain over time on different methods of birth control. There was no mention of if the study participants were trying to lose weight or not.
  • PBJunky
    Options
    Are you on the pill?

Not sure if you were supporting her or saying that birth control hinders weight loss. That study supports what she said, that Depo Provera (DMPA) is shown to cause weight gain. The girls on oral contraceptives (OC) actually gained less weight then the control group. Also, that study has nothing to do with people actively trying to lose weight. It was a study that just observed the amount of weight gain over time on different methods of birth control. There was no mention of if the study participants were trying to lose weight or not.

I know that is why I asked her whether this is the study that she was referring to...

lol you kinda spoiled a good argument for me =)
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

You must be doing something wrong then. Losing weight is a function of burning more calories than you consume.

PERIOD. Either you're counting wrong, (likely), overestimating your needs, or simply not being patient enough to see results. A moderate deficit is easily masked by water fluctuations.
  • Edithrenee
    Edithrenee Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    ha ha me too!!! i have been at 144 and it goes up to 146 then back down. before I got on this site i was watching what I ate i lost 6 pounds it took a while but not this long. Then i get on here and log in my food and exericse and nothing... been doing it since end of july.

I have tried to eat exercise calories and I tried to not eat them wow. Still no change. I went to doctor and my thyroid is fine. My conclusion is i have to eat less, I mean before, i was guessing what i ate, and how much, and i was losing now i see what im eating and i think well i have caloires i have to eat so i eat, even if im not hungry. So I dont know maybe im eating more now.