counting cals doesnt work

Options

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    This was my comment. And it is fact. It is science. It has been proven. Whether you FEEL differently or not that is fact. Fact does not mean open to interpretation. There have been studies-with real people-who gain no profit-and it has been proven and those were the results. Please research.

If you did or anyone did gain weight because of emotional eating because of a hormonal change that's fine. The drug does not control people or their will to ingest more calories than their body needs.

The FACT is even if on the pill, with calorie restriction and actively trying to lose weight it does not hinder your weight loss. Period.

I made one comment based off of a scientific study and started a ridiculous all out war on here. This poor woman just wanted advice on why she isn't losing weight... -_-

Honestly arguing on the Internet is a waste of time. :( Please unless you have something of value to say to OP stop posting.
    Are you on the pill?

Multiple studies show that the pill does NOT affect weight loss. The only form of birth control that is proven to cause weight gain is the depo provera shot. so, are you on depo? Do you have thyroid problems? Are there any other medical factors that could be causing this?

the studies are WRONG! You do gain weight not always very much, I NEVER gain weight with out overeating and when I went on YAZZ I gained 10 pounds and I barely was eating anything. I have gotten rid of some of it switching to another pill ,but honey you gain and I did not over eat or get lazy your welcome to look at my profile , it changes your body because the hormones make your body think it's pregnant and need to feed a baby.

When I started the pill I was NOT eating a calorie deficit, exercising or eating fewer calories then before the pill and I did NOT gain weight. Since you are 100% positive that you can't take the pill without gaining weight, was it all a dream or maybe I was just hallucinating?

It's possible you may do drugs for all I know or care..but really everybody is different and those studies are WRONG for the vast majority . I am not alone nor have I randomly gained weight without doing something wrong in my diet or stopped working out UNTIL I got on Yazz and I AM NOT A MINORITY HERE ..a larger percentage DO gain weight . The doctors don't want you to be scared off it because your vain. They have nothing to gain from telling you the truth .
    I have been on other forms of BC and not gained weight but the ones that are higher in estrogen will cause weight gain and there is another hormone in lo-estrogen versions that causes water retention. Next time don't be so broad in your assumptions not everybody is text book perfect like yourself.

See that's exactly the problem, I *know* everyone is different and was proving there are exceptions out there. You were the one who claimed that everyone on diet pills gains weight when you responded to the statement "Multiple studies show that the pill does NOT affect weight loss." with the comment "the studies are WRONG! You do gain weight " That's what I was trying to bring to your attention. You were using a broad generalization with those words. Be careful the way you phrase things. You did not say "majority" or "minority" or use any deliminators before this latest response. I was not the one being broad in my assumptions, I never said "because *I* didn't no one does, but the words you used equated to because *you* did everyone does. There are very gullible people here on this site for some reason who already very misinformed. Accidental or not be careful what "facts" you pass on to them with your words.

I am sorry for my emotional outburst, very un-classy of me
    I apologize but this is a touchy subject for me because I read all the studies and assumed it would be OK and the 1st it was. The secound time BOOM 10 pounds ..which is a lot to a former ED sufferer
    I just hate the cover up from the drug companies for most drugs but they can't really say that with this . even my doctor says BC and weight gain is never proven sufficiently .
    I just would hate for someone to take your original comment "Multiple studies show that the pill does NOT affect weight loss" to heart ether .depo is not the only culprit .
  • rosalee87
    rosalee87 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'm on Ortho Tri Cyclen and I did gain some weight in the beginning but I believe it was my hormones trying to adjust to the new drug I only managed to lose weight when I actually tried and it was not hard for me at all - I lost 40 pds within 4-5 months. Now I've noticed that the weight loss has slowed and sometimes I won't lose but I doubt it's my BC - I'm more than likely doing something wrong.
  • What_a_Great_Idea
    Options
    Some helpful information on the metabolism slow-down in weight loss plateaus.
    The starvation response, etc.

Says to take a break for a week or so &
    gives some reasons for plateaus
    and
    how to break them.

http://www.burnthefat.com/break_weight_plateaus.html
  • Crawflowr
    Crawflowr Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Just a small suggestion that's probably irrelevant, but if you used to be losing weight and aren't anymore it may be that you haven't recalibrated your HRM to your new weight. I suddenly realised that I had made this mistake myself the other day. I set my HRM with my weight when I got it and never went back to the settings page to change it once the weight dropped, so for the last few months my HRM has been telling me how many calories I would have been losing if I was 20lbs heavier, which was obviously a lot higher than it should have been and since I eat my exercise calories I was probably eating too much. Thankfully my weight has been dropping steadily all this time so no harm done. Just a heads up for everyone really.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Counting calories works. You may just need to eat fewer calories than MFP thinks, or be more accurate in your logging.
  • Reiral
    Reiral Posts: 20
    Options
    Try measuring yourself on the Tanita machine(can check with a doctor/dietician) It is able to measure your bone mass and muscle mass, weight and calculate your BMI, body metabolic age,visceral fats and percentage fat mass. Even if your weight is the same, it is possible that you are gainly more muscles and losing fats especially with your vigorous workout.

There may be something wrong with your calorie counting. It may be the dressing or sauce or certain ingredients you are adding that are not accounted for and thus no weight loss. Although fruits may be healthy, but if you were to consume too much, it may be also one of the reasons you are not losing weight.

Good luck with everything! =)
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Are you on the pill?

Multiple studies show that the pill does NOT affect weight loss. The only form of birth control that is proven to cause weight gain is the depo provera shot. so, are you on depo? Do you have thyroid problems? Are there any other medical factors that could be causing this?

the studies are WRONG! You do gain weight not always very much, I NEVER gain weight with out overeating and when I went on YAZZ I gained 10 pounds and I barely was eating anything. I have gotten rid of some of it switching to another pill ,but honey you gain and I did not over eat or get lazy your welcome to look at my profile , it changes your body because the hormones make your body think it's pregnant and need to feed a baby.

When I started the pill I was NOT eating a calorie deficit, exercising or eating fewer calories then before the pill and I did NOT gain weight. Since you are 100% positive that you can't take the pill without gaining weight, was it all a dream or maybe I was just hallucinating?

It's possible you may do drugs for all I know or care..but really everybody is different and those studies are WRONG for the vast majority . I am not alone nor have I randomly gained weight without doing something wrong in my diet or stopped working out UNTIL I got on Yazz and I AM NOT A MINORITY HERE ..a larger percentage DO gain weight . The doctors don't want you to be scared off it because your vain. They have nothing to gain from telling you the truth .
    I have been on other forms of BC and not gained weight but the ones that are higher in estrogen will cause weight gain and there is another hormone in lo-estrogen versions that causes water retention. Next time don't be so broad in your assumptions not everybody is text book perfect like yourself.

See that's exactly the problem, I *know* everyone is different and was proving there are exceptions out there. You were the one who claimed that everyone on diet pills gains weight when you responded to the statement "Multiple studies show that the pill does NOT affect weight loss." with the comment "the studies are WRONG! You do gain weight " That's what I was trying to bring to your attention. You were using a broad generalization with those words. Be careful the way you phrase things. You did not say "majority" or "minority" or use any deliminators before this latest response. I was not the one being broad in my assumptions, I never said "because *I* didn't no one does, but the words you used equated to because *you* did everyone does. There are very gullible people here on this site for some reason who already very misinformed. Accidental or not be careful what "facts" you pass on to them with your words.

I apologize but this is a touchy subject for me because I read all the studies and assumed it would be OK and the 1st it was. The secound time BOOM 10 pounds ..which is a lot to a former ED sufferer
    I just hate the cover up from the drug companies for most drugs but they can't really say that with this . even my doctor says BC and weight gain is never proven sufficiently .
    I just would hate for someone to take your original comment "Multiple studies show that the pill does NOT affect weight loss" to heart ether .depo is not the only culprit .

I can understand being emotional in a situation like that. Though you might want to note *I* was not the one who made that original comment. I was the third commenter not the OP. Looks like part of that outburst you gave to me was intended for the OP then.
  • Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    This was my comment. And it is fact. It is science. It has been proven. Whether you FEEL differently or not that is fact. Fact does not mean open to interpretation. There have been studies-with real people-who gain no profit-and it has been proven and those were the results. Please research.

If you did or anyone did gain weight because of emotional eating because of a hormonal change that's fine. The drug does not control people or their will to ingest more calories than their body needs.

The FACT is even if on the pill, with calorie restriction and actively trying to lose weight it does not hinder your weight loss. Period.

I made one comment based off of a scientific study and started a ridiculous all out war on here. This poor woman just wanted advice on why she isn't losing weight... -_-

Honestly arguing on the Internet is a waste of time. :( Please unless you have something of value to say to OP stop posting.
    Are you on the pill?

PLEASE STOP POSTING?? I wanted to chime in and you know I have a right too . Your saying your going to turn me in for telling her I did gain weight , I did NOT eat more then normal. I love science but I am proof that it happens . And I was trying to help. Who do you think you are anyways?

Forget these forums ..You believe whatever you want but to the original poster it could be a factor, Hang in there and keep doing what your doing it will happen.

to the rest of you..GOOD DAY!!
  • Wynterbourne
    Options
    PLEASE STOP POSTING?? I wanted to chime in and you know I have a right too . Your saying your going to turn me in for telling her I did gain weight , I did NOT eat more then normal. I love science but I am proof that it happens . And I was trying to help. Who do you think you are anyways?

Forget these forums ..You believe whatever you want but to the original poster it could be a factor, Hang in there and keep doing what your doing it will happen.

Umm.. yes you do have a right to chime in. I don't know what you are talking about. My last post was acknowledging your situation and just pointing out that it looked like you yelled at me for someone else's comment. And where does it say I'm going to "turn you in"??? I haven't sent a message to anyone or said anything in these posts. Maybe you are getting me confused with someone else again. Sorry you feel this way, but I don't know why you think this. That's all I have to say.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options

Umm.. yes you do have a right to chime in. I don't know what you are talking about. My last post was acknowledging your situation and just pointing out that it looked like you yelled at me for someone else's comment. And where does it say I'm going to "turn you in"??? I haven't sent a message to anyone or said anything in these posts. Maybe you are getting me confused with someone else again. Sorry you feel this way, but I don't know why you think this. That's all I have to say.

Sorry to interrupt this love fest that is going on in here, but Sara was responding to rainbow, who told her to stop commenting (shown above).

Sara, you speak your mind anytime you have anything to say, everyone else does, regardless of being right or wrong.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Are you on the pill?

What those studies tend to show is over a population, statistically there isn't weight gain. I have gained 20 lbs in 3 weeks before, only change? BCP. Not everyone is so sensitive to the hormones, but people can, in fact, gain weight or hold on to extra water when on the pill.
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options

Really? You can tell people to post or not to post cause they don't agree with you? I don't think so. Your here arguing on the internet as well, so your wasting your own time right?
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary but here's what I can tell you. I've lost 31 pounds with very little exercise (which isn't the best, I know, but it is what it is). The loss has soley been due to counting calories. I've plateaued twice, and both times it was because I was eating too few calories. MFP set me at 1200 once I lost the first 20 pounds, and I discovered that I need to eat in the 1300 - 1350 range in order to lose. So, my advice to you is to start eating a little more or a little less for about a week and see what happens.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    It works for me in conjunction with exercise.
  • Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Options

Again sorry sweetie:flowerforyou: I was not talking to you.:blushing: .I highlighted the whole comment thread it was intended for the girl who basically told me to shut up.
    I do know a thing or two about the endocrine system and hormones ..thank you very much :wink:
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Are you on the pill?

What mulitple studies? Where are these articles? Who wrote them? Are they qualified to write these?
  • austindorotea
    Options
    your a loser bud
  • Gaubelau
    Options
    I suppose it depends what you eat and how you exercise...
    Personnally if I go heavy on the carbs, the weight does not go... If I do yoga (Ashtanga), the weight does not go, I look better though...
    So may be, try changing exercise to do more sweating :-) and eat less carbs and fats... You have to find what is right for you :-)
    I am stuck at the same weight for ever now and even eating less calories does not seem to help, I am stocking the little I eat... So I am increasing the sweating and hoping for good results...
    Let me know how you get on...
  • Wynterbourne
    Options
    Sorry to interrupt this love fest that is going on in here, but Sara was responding to rainbow, who told her to stop commenting (shown above).

Sara, you speak your mind anytime you have anything to say, everyone else does, regardless of being right or wrong.

Ah. Missed that post. My mistake.
  • Wynterbourne
    Options
    Again sorry sweetie:flowerforyou: I was not talking to you.:blushing: .I highlighted the whole comment thread it was intended for the girl who basically told me to shut up.
    I do know a thing or two about the endocrine system and hormones ..thank you very much :wink:

See that now. My mistake.