Quinoa Recipes?

Options

Replies

• healthyliving_girl
    healthyliving_girl Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I love making quinoa with spinach and mushrooms. Sometimes I add cheese and/or egg, too.

I just use whatever ingredients I seem to have around and it seems to taste great each time. :)
  • Malissas
    Malissas Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Try quinoa tabouleh-- use your favorite tabouleh recipe, but substitute quoinoa for the bulgar wheat.

I also use it in place of couscous in recipes and side dishes. Love it!

^ This is so good.
    Also with cucumber and tomato and thyme and lemon juice and teaspoon olive oil - awesome!
  • Schmoopy11
    Options
    I love it cooked, cooled then mixed with roasted veggies, feta cheese, parsley, slivered almonds and some italian dressing. I make my own with olive oil, balsamic, fresh garlic, etc....

Mmmmm.... gonnna have to make it soon. I just don't know the calorie count.

I forgot to add chopped cucumbers
  • jessjayla
    Options
    bump
  • jlr_12
    jlr_12 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I kind of made up a "quinoa risotto" recipe that I make all the time. It's soooo good! As someone said above, I swap out the water for chicken stock, and cook the quinoa until it's pretty much done. In another pan I saute onions, zucchini and portobello mushrooms and add a little stock to that...then I mix it all together in the pan and cook a bit more, adding parmesean cheese, salt and pepper to taste. I've also done this using asparagus when I didn't have zucchini.
  • abcwhite10
    abcwhite10 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is AWESOME! You can cook/season it the same way you'd cook rice or cous-cous; it takes on the flavor of whatever you cook it with, basically. One of my favorite base-recipes to cook it with is to use half a vegetable bouillon per cup of water (I don't eat meat). It gives it a really good base flavor and you can season it any way you like while cooking it. A few nights ago I threw in half a cup of sauteed onions (sauteed in just enough olive oil to lightly coat them), a tablespoon of minced garlic and probably 5 or 6 dried cherries from the bulk section of a rather crappy (as opposed to gourmet or specialty) grocery store. It came out GREAT!

Another successful dinner I made was by using 1/2 cup of almond milk, 1/2 cup of water and 1/2 cup of quinoa, along with some green curry paste (about a teaspoon) and maybe 1/2 a tsp of cinnamon. And probably some minced garlic (I don't remember, but I use it with everything, so probably.) If I had raisins, I'd have added those in, too. Just throw everything in with the quinoa and cook it all together. If you like curry, you'll love this! (I hope!) I used the almond milk because I didn't have any coconut milk, but I think it would've turned out even better with coconut milk (albeit more calories).

Lastly, I've also been experimenting with cooking quinoa as a breakfast oatmeal type of deal. So far I've been subbing almond milk for water entirely and it's turned out pretty well. Yesterday I used 1/3 cup of quinoa, 1 cup of almond milk (so it stays kind of "soupy" to be closer to an oatmeal consistency), 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1 tsp agave syrup, and cinnamon and allspice to taste. Cook for 15 minutes. After it was done cooking, I added 2 tbsp maple syrup and 1 tsp unpacked brown sugar. Came out pretty well! Here's the breakdown I came up with:
    Calories Carbs Fat Protein
    Silk - Pure Almond Milk- Original, 8 ounces 60 8 3 1
    Quinoa - Cooked, 0.3 cup cooked (185g) 67 12 1 2
    Log Cabin - Maple Syrup Regular, 2 Tbsp / 1 fl oz 100 27 0 0
    Sugars - Brown, 1 tsp unpacked unpacked 11 3 0 0
    238 50 4 3

I love quinoa - I will be trying the curry version you have!
  • dorth316
    dorth316 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've never used it myself, and in fact just heard of it for the first time while watching Chopped on Food Network the other day. Now this is twice in one week.... must be a sign lol. You can go to their website and find recipes. Let us know!

Chopped was the first place I heard of it, too. All these recipe suggestions sound really good. I'll have to give it a try.
  • Wilmingtonbelle
    Wilmingtonbelle Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Another successful dinner I made was by using 1/2 cup of almond milk, 1/2 cup of water and 1/2 cup of quinoa, along with some green curry paste (about a teaspoon) and maybe 1/2 a tsp of cinnamon. And probably some minced garlic (I don't remember, but I use it with everything, so probably.) If I had raisins, I'd have added those in, too. Just throw everything in with the quinoa and cook it all together. If you like curry, you'll love this! (I hope!) I used the almond milk because I didn't have any coconut milk, but I think it would've turned out even better with coconut milk (albeit more calories).

Lastly, I've also been experimenting with cooking quinoa as a breakfast oatmeal type of deal. So far I've been subbing almond milk for water entirely and it's turned out pretty well. Yesterday I used 1/3 cup of quinoa, 1 cup of almond milk (so it stays kind of "soupy" to be closer to an oatmeal consistency), 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1 tsp agave syrup, and cinnamon and allspice to taste. Cook for 15 minutes. After it was done cooking, I added 2 tbsp maple syrup and 1 tsp unpacked brown sugar. Came out pretty well!

I'm drooling! Thanks for sharing, I can't wait to try both of these!!! :flowerforyou:

Slainte!
  • petgen
    petgen Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Check out this Wegman's recipe -
    http://themeanestmomma.com/2011/08/18/quinoa-avocado-salad/

I used it like a salsa with baked nacho chips - - SO good!
  • epona_mus
    epona_mus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I eat this soup this about once a week... It's delicious!!

Quinoa Vegetable Soup
    8 servings
    189 cal / 2 cups

3/4 cup quinoa
    1 tbsp olive oil
    2 onions, finely chopped
    3 carrots, peeled & finely diced
    3 celery stalks, finely diced
    1 small zucchini, diced
    1 small yellow squash, diced
    1/2 cup yellow corn kernels, frozen (or use 1 ear of fresh corn if in season)
    1 red pepper, finely diced
    1 tbsp garlic, minced
    2 tsp sea salt
    4 cups (1 quart) low-sodium, fat free vegetable broth
    6 cups water
    1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes (I use Muir Glen)
    1 tbsp ground cumin
    2 tsp ground coriander
    Black pepper

Rinse the quinoa well in cold water then drain. Heat a large, heavy skillet over medium high heat. Add the quinoa and stir constantly for 10 minutes or until all the moisture evaporates and the quinoa crackles and becomes golden. You’ll be able to smell them toasting. Transfer quinoa to a bowl and set aside.

Heat the oil in a large heavy stockpot over medium high heat.
    Add onions, carrots and celery. Saute for 12 minutes or until onions are translucent.

Add zucchini, yellow squash, bell pepper, garlic and salt. Saute for 3 minutes longer or until vegetables begin to release their juices.

Add stock and water, cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in the toasted quinoa and simmer over medium low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the quinoa is tender.

Add canned tomatoes (with juices) to the soup and add the corn, peas, and beans, then stir in the cumin and coriander.
    Simmer uncovered over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally or until the quinoa is tender. Season to taste with pepper and more salt if needed
  • Atleast40
    Atleast40 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    good recipe ideas, thanks all
  • heykatieben
    heykatieben Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Ooh, I think it's tasty - actually (to me) more flavorful than other grains. It has a really nutty taste, a stronger taste. Rice and white grains go with almost any taste - savory or sweet - flavoring quinoa might take a little extra care. :)
  • chanson104
    Options
    I love salsa so I cook quinoa according to the directions and add salsa. Yummy!
  • gentsevetzak
    gentsevetzak Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    6447597213_0d43621737.jpg
    Quinoa salad with black beans, mango and spring onions. Just mix the ingredients and season to taste.
  • jdelisle
    jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    6447597213_0d43621737.jpg
    Quinoa salad with black beans, mango and spring onions. Just mix the ingredients and season to taste.

That looks awesome!
  • jdelisle
    jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recipes everyone! I can't wait to try some of them.
  • kiahpyr
    kiahpyr Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I just bought some too and waiting for the perfect recipe to make it with.
  • pearlymae
    pearlymae Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rochey1098
    Options
    Whack it in place of rice or couscous
  • Calipalm
    Calipalm Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Here are links to one of my favorite cooking blogs. Although I haven't tried these recipes yet, i know they look delicious and are worth a try! I have use some other recipes from this site and they have been awesome!

http://www.ourbestbites.com/2011/05/how-to-cook-quinoa/
    http://www.ourbestbites.com/2011/06/quinoa-edamame-salad/
    http://www.ourbestbites.com/2011/05/mango-quinoa-salad/