Options
    bump
  • Dammitviv
    Dammitviv Posts: 117
    Options
    bump
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Just made my first ever quinoa recipe: taco soup. Its really tasty, if I do say so myself. :wink:

The recipe is here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/edit/4978295

If you add meat you will have to add in those calories.
  • suzim949
    Options
    Yes, quinoa for breakfast is fantastic......
    I just used the almond milk instead of the water. Mixed some strawberries, blueberries, walnuts and drizzled with raw agave nectar!!
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I got a recipe for garlic salsa quinoa stew from trader joes.
    2 jars of garlic salsa
    1 box of organic chicken broth
    1/2 cup of quinoa
    1 can black beans
    1 cup frozen corn(they used their fire roasted corn)
    1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
    avocado
    sour cream
    Boil the chicken broth. Add in quinoa and put to medium high heat. Cook uncovered 15 minutes. Add beans, corn, salsa and cilantro. Garnish with avocado and sour cream
  • mybabybird1
    Options
    I love quinoa! I've been using this recipe and variations of it for years! http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sandra-lee/quinoa-salad-recipe/index.html
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Just use it as you would use rice.......if cooked right it snaps in your mouth......very delicious....Mmmmm
  • Perseverance10910
    Perseverance10910 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I just tried this for the first time a few weeks ago and FELL IN LOVE! I made mine like the box said and just put some creole seasoning and broccolli in it. It was good. Kinda sounds like you could mix it with anything though :)
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I would just cook it in chicken broth, with maybe a bit of red/cheyenne pepper.
  • irondaph
    Options
    I like to mix some raw quinoa with agave and then toast it in the oven for 10-12 minutes (or until golden) with some unsweetened coconut. Its then delicious to put on yogurt and fruit for some crunch and extra protein!
    It keeps in an airtight container for about a week which is a bonus..
  • kelley_m
    kelley_m Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    bump
  • susancox57
    susancox57 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My husband and I cook our Quinoa in the rice cooker using the same ratios as when cooking rice. We add it to stir fry and we made a tomato sauce and added the quinoa to it. Tasty! :smile:
  • MissB0949
    MissB0949 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    :love:
  • kimhurt
    kimhurt Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • partonsara
    partonsara Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    these recipes look great! I cooked it and added kalamata olives and lemon zest - delicious!
  • Junepal
    Junepal Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    One of my favs is a Grilled Vegetable Quinoa Salad with Chipolte Dressing

http://www.canadianliving.com/food/quick_and_easy/grilled_vegetable_quinoa_salad.php
  • Kirstenonline
    Options
    I do almost the same thing. I lightly rub my halved squash with oil (flax seed is the best) and then sprinkle it heavily with cinnamon which DOES make it taste like a dessert. AND, cinnamon has such great health benefits: lowers your blood pressure, has anti cancer properties and anti inflammatory properties as well. YUMMO
  • gmdutton
    Options
    Does anyone have any tips on easy ways to rinse the quinoa? I bought a strainer that I thought would have small enough holes but it still falls through. Cheesecloth just makes a big mess when I try to use it. Any other suggestions? Maybe a place where I can buy pre-rinsed quinoa?
  • amandalfn
    Options
    This is my favourite :)
    Makes 6 servings

Ingredients
    2 cups cooked red quinoa (at room temperature or cold)
    1 diced mango
    1 handful chopped cilantro
    1 15-ounce can black beans
    1 red bell pepper, chopped
    6 green onions, thinly sliced
    4 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
    3 Tablespoons olive oil
    1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice

Instructions
    In a small bowl, combine vinegar, oil and lime juice. Combine everything else in a big bowl. Drizzle liquid mixture over the salad, and toss until well combined. Chill for about an hour.

Nutritional information (per serving)
    Calories 240
    Total Fat 8 grams
    Saturated fat 1 gram
    Cholesterol 0 milligrams
    Sodium 10 milligrams
    Total carbohydrates 34 grams
    Fiber 7 grams
    Sugars 9 grams
    Protein 7 grams