Brown rice that doesn't taste awful?

Options
13»

Replies

• wannalosew82
    wannalosew82 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Rice is our staple food. I have been eating white rice all my life. A few years ago my husband started eating brown rice. I tried and hated it. We used to eat Mahatma brand brown long grain rice (from Walmart) which I hated. He continued to eat it. later I found the Brown Basmati rice from an Indian store which was better. We also tried Quinoa. Both Brown basmati rice and Quinoa caused IBS with 2 or 3 trips a day to the loo. Ditched Quinoa because cooking it in a rice cooker made a mess on the countertops when the water/quinoa granules overflowed. I was at Costco recently and found an organic brand Brown long grain rice. Tastes better, easy on the stomach with fewer bathroom trips. My husband felt the brown basmati smelt of pesticides and was the cause of IBS. You can cook any rice in a rice cooker. Depending upon the age of the rice which you find out by trial and error, aged rice need more water and vice versa. Usually one cup rice needs two cups of water. Same for quinoa but watch out for spills.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    definitely eat BROWN RICE over white rice! not only does white rice have a higher glycemic index and all its essential nutrients removed when PROCESSED for it to cook easier.. but brown rice is CLEAN eating. awesome awesome source of magnesium, manganese, vitamins B1, B2 etc.. if you don't believe me, do a simple google search on its benefits vs. the white rice. its hands-down much more beneficial to our health.

Lundbergs Organic Brown Rice is fantastic. i use it with my rice cooker and it comes out to perfection!

GI is mostly irrelevant to the avg person

and guess what brown rice may contain things that actually lower the absorption of various minerals int he body making it worse then white rice

Comparison of the nutritional value between brown rice and white rice

Callegaro Mda D, Tirapegui J. Arq Gastroenterol. 1996 Oct-Dec;33(4):225-31.

Cereals are considered an important source of nutrients both in human and animal nourishment. In this paper nutritional value of brown rice is compared to that of white rice in relation to nutrients. Results show that despite higher nutrients contents of brown rice compared to white rice, experimental data does not provide evidence that the brown rice diet is better than the diet based on white rice. Possible antinutritional factors present in brown rice have adverse effects on bioavailability of this cereal nutrients.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9302338

Effects of brown rice on apparent digestibility and balance of nutrients in young men on low protein diets

J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 1987 Jun;33(3):207-18. .Miyoshi H, Okuda T, Okuda K, Koishi H.

The effect of brown rice with low protein intake was studied in five healthy young men. Feces were weighed, the digestibility of nutrients was determined, and blood tests were made. Each subject followed a diet consisting mainly of polished rice for 14 days and one consisting mainly of brown rice for 8 days. Both diets contained 0.5 g protein per kg of body weight. The brown rice diet had 3 times as much dietary fiber as the polished rice diet. On the brown rice diet, fecal weight increased, and apparent digestibility of energy, protein, and fat decreased, as did the absorption rates of Na, K, and P. The nitrogen balance was negative on both diets, but more negative on the brown rice diet. The phosphorus balance on the brown rice diet was significantly negative, but other minerals were not affected by the diet. The levels of cholesterol and minerals in the plasma were not significantly different on the polished rice diet and the brown rice diet. Comparing these results with data on standard protein intake (Miyoshi, H. et al (1986) J. Nutr. Sci. Vitaminol., 32, 581-589.), we concluded that brown rice reduced protein digestibility and nitrogen balance.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2822877

Thank you for posting this. I just can't seem to develop a taste for brown rice. I prefer to eat a little less white rice than to try to choke down brown rice. I always kind of felt bad about that and just avoided rice when I could. This was interesting to read...I guess I won't avoid it as much as I have before!