Race Costs

Options
2»

Replies

• inatay7
    inatay7 Posts: 141
    Options
    Agreed!!!!!! It kills me BUT I've loved the challenge of finding the really cheap ones. In Sydney I've found a 27km bridge walk for $10 and there's a couple of others for around that price. I'm gonna save my $$$ for cool ones like mud runs and sand dune runs
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I got a steal for the New Orleans Rock and Roll Half Marathon.. registered for 35$ ..... and then dropped 400$ on a hotel for three nights during Mardi Gras... but it will so be worth it.

All my 5K's are charity so I dont mind.. and not all of them are that much.. some are 15-20.
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel. I joined a local running club and for annual membership fee of $35.00 I can run the club races for free and they have at least 20 a year.

Just started running this year, besides running in the military. I have seriously been thinking about this.
  • polar135
    polar135 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    No problem if its for a good cause.

If it is a good cause... I am glad to pay it! I ran the Tunnel to Towers run in NYC last year... money goes to building houses for wounded Iraq/Afghanistan vets... take my money for that any day!

Agreed, I see it as a win-win. The money goes to a good cause and I get the challenge and motivation of a race.
  • polar135
    polar135 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I would pay extra to do a mud run or a fun outside race. I rather they just offer a tshirt free option. (I'll still pay don't get me wrong lol)
  • calderst
    calderst Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I rarely do 5Ks anymore for this reason. They're cheaper than the long runs but $20 here and $20 there quickly adds up and I don't particularly like the distance. I'd rather save up and do one or two big races instead.
  • Seraph1120
    Seraph1120 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel. I joined a local running club and for annual membership fee of $35.00 I can run the club races for free and they have at least 20 a year.

I need to find something like this that's close to home!
  • nixon76k
    Options
    Agreed..but a lot of the races i'm in, most of the $$ goes to a charity so it makes me feel better :)

I agree, but I try to run races that donate proceeds to charity. Most do.
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    After organizing my own race last year, I learned the costs really are considerable. The price they are charged just to use the chip timing is quite a bit! Then to have a website domain to register online or print a ton of paper forms, then all the post race food/beverage, then the race bibs, then the extra security, then the port-a-potties, then the medals, then the t-shirts, then if you want them to be professionally organized (which of course mine wasn't), you consider that the people who know what they are doing are those who do that for a living. Even a white t-shirt costs almost $5.00 out of your $20.00 registration. Then the late fee because a second round of t-shirts costs more than the first round.

So yes, it does cost a lot to register and you could run for free, but it's not like they are making a killing off of most of them.