anyone find green tea help with weight loss?

Options

Replies

• kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I have tried drinking green tea but whenever I do it makes me throw up. About 15 minutes after drinking, I get bad nausea and then have to puke. Has anyone else had this problem?

FYI I don't have this issue with other kinds of tea. I can drink white tea, black tea, fruit teas, decaf/regular, etc. and I'm fine.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    iv started drinking between 4-6 cups a day and im starting to lose weight again anyone else notice a difference??

the anti-oxidants in green tea block iron absorption, so I would avoid this if you have any history of anemia
  • katyejean
    katyejean Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I am actually about to try to first go-around with green tea! I've have the bottled green teas, but they have some sugar and stuff. I'm making just brewed green tea, icing it, and seeing how it goes for me! :)
  • missymugs
    Options
    its to help lose weight yes.
  • kikiboniki
    kikiboniki Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    i was taking green tea supliments and drinkinking green tea before i started mfp. seemed to help, but when i started mfp i noticed the sugar content in green tea bottle and stopped drinking, because i"m trying to lower sugar and cholesterol. its supposed to help lower both. any comments on this?

try genmaicha green tea. I love it, and it is best dranken straight.. you wouldn't want to sweeten it. Its a sencha green tea (slightly grassy), mixed with roasted rice. I believe coffee bean sells it in tea bags. you could also search online. Its my go to green tea. zero calories and delicious. More of a savory tea.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I heard it (especially combined with lemon) is really helpful so I started drinking it at the beginning of trying to lose weight. I don't have a time I wasn't drinking it to compare to but it's good with lemon, and it makes me feel like I'm doing everything I can. I'm drinking it right now!
  • ladyphoto
    ladyphoto Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I drink it too- I heard it helps weight loss- not sure why- but I drink tea anyway- in the evening I drink decaf peppermint tea to relax and unwind.

I look at any kind of tea this way: It's liquid which helps fulfill water requirments, it's zero calories, and sipping hot tea throughout the day or evening keeps you from munching!
  • melonsss
    melonsss Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    hi yes green tea is useful as part of a healthy eating plan, and does increase metabolism. try Twinings green tea. good luck
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    the anti-oxidants in green tea block iron absorption, so I would avoid this if you have any history of anemia

Thank you for this! Sometimes I come across the best information on this site.
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I drink a blend of green and white tea...i like it a lot...maybe it would help you?
  • twins4me99
    Options
    Green Tea with Mint made by Bigelow is really tasty!
  • bulletprooff
    Options
    This is awesome to learn! Even if it doesn't actually help, it is a great way to encourage you to drink more water if you like iced (diet) green tea.
  • Beckgiles
    Options
    Yeah I notice a big difference when I drink a lot of tea. My job is very physical and when I am watching calories it gives me the extra energy to get through the day. Plus I have noticed that when I drink tea it helps me detox faster and get past the cravings when I stop eating junk food for a while. I generally drink a big hiking water bottle full of tea daily.
  • Gosser
    Gosser Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I drink green tea all day at work. It didn't help me lose any weight, but if you are changing from normal drinks like tea or coffee it is lower calorie and so close to drinking water it would help you lose weight.

If you don't like the taste just drink water, it would probably have the same effect
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    It does have caffeine which helps suppress appetite, but you don't want to overdo your caffeine intake though.

I like the flavor of green tea so I'll have a cup of two in the later evening to wake me up and curb food cravings when I need to and I do find it helps.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I can't stand taste of it, and managed to lose weight without it.
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I bet the people who find the taste "foul" are overheating it. Trick is, use water that is just off a boil, no longer rolling or bubbling with heat. Steep it covered for 6 minutes. Remove the bag wringing it out to get the last bits of goodness out of the tea leaves into your cup. Enjoy.

If you put it in really hot water it will taste nasty and bitter.
  • LadyFaile
    Options
    I bet the people who find the taste "foul" are overheating it. Trick is, use water that is just off a boil, no longer rolling or bubbling with heat. Steep it covered for 6 minutes. Remove the bag wringing it out to get the last bits of goodness out of the tea leaves into your cup. Enjoy.

If you put it in really hot water it will taste nasty and bitter.

If you don't want to wait to let the water cool down before brewing, another trick is to put in an ice cube (more if you're making a potful) and pour the water over the ice cube. This keeps the tea from getting scorched (producing a foul flavor) and bring the water down to the correct brewing temperature.
  • eawilkrsn
    Options
    i love green tea. i make mine with orange slices and lemon slices. very citrusy and refreshing. . . great to jumpstart weight loss.
  • Although there is no solid factual evidence that proves green tea is good for weight loss, there are numerous studies that draw strong correlations between the two. Whether it helps with weight loss or not, green tea is still GREAT for your health and is loaded with antioxidants that rid the body of free radicals that cause cancer, heart disease, and other fatal diseases.