Cardio doesn't help you lose weight...

Options

Replies

• Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    No. Especially as I was just asking a question and not arguing. It just seems that no matter what anyone else posts, especially when its fact that refutes what you are saying, that you seem to argue back. So I was simply just wondering where you were coming from... thats all.

Why can't I refute what people have said, without people thinking I'm the bad guy? We all have a right to speak on the forums.

I think the problem lies in the fact that you are refuting scientific facts with your own personal opinons on the matter. Which is fine, if you want to believe that, more power to you. What is not fine, is passing off your own personal thoughts/views as being scientifically based and correct. It doesn;t help those who may be looking at forums for sound exercise advice.

What I do for a work out might not work for you- I may suggest it, but I will not state it as a fact. See what I am getting at?
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Or doesnt understand what the term "after burn" means in this context.

What does it means?
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    the "after-burn" for cario does not last that long (usually 1-4 hours, longer with HIIT), the "after-burn" for strength training is the 24-48 hours as your body repairs the damaged caused from lifting.
    I don't agree with this. I can do a Tae Bo workout on a Monday and not workout for a few days afterwards and still feel the workout.
    They were referring to the higher metabolic burn, not muscle soreness. FFS...
  • AddA2UDE
    AddA2UDE Posts: 382
    Options
    When I say something, people think I'm arguing.

I'm sure it has absolutely nothing to do with the absurd statements that always seem to be in sharp contrast to logic and the general consensus of those who have realized great success.
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Fat is gained by eating in excess of calories burned throughout the day. Fat is lost by burning more than you eat. Simple. If you change you diet, you will lose weight slowly. If you add in any physical activity, you will lose the fat more quickly. That is the basics. As people get closer to goal weight or are just more genetically challenged, of course more specific routines, diets and research should be applied. Cardio does burn fat. But only while you do it. Lifting weights burns calories, but not as much as cardio during the actual exercises themselves. But lifting weights causes the body to heal itself, which in itself burns calories, and every pound of muscle on you burns 50 calories just by being maintained.

So this is how to lose fat
    Eat right =fat loss
    Eat right + carido OR eat right + weight train + eat right = more fat loss
    Eat right + cardio + weight trainig = most fat loss
  • AZackery
    Options
    I think the problem lies in the fact that you are refuting scientific facts with your own personal opinons on the matter. Which is fine, if you want to believe that, more power to you. What is not fine, is passing off your own personal thoughts/views as being scientifically based and correct. It doesn;t help those who may be looking at forums for sound exercise advice.

What I do for a work out might not work for you- I may suggest it, but I will not state it as a fact. See what I am getting at?

I stand on everything that I have said. See what I'm getting at?
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options

Those poor tutus.......:wink:
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    Yes, lifting weights by itself does burn fat. You're completley wrong on that point and I don't know why you keep repeating it as if it's a fact.

It doesn't.

You forgot to add, "In my opinion".
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options

Other than hostile and combative when I was merely trying to be nice and offer a helpful alternative? No, not at all.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    When I say something, people think I'm arguing, but when other people say something, they think the person is giving knowledge. I don't have time to fight with people. If a person believes I'm wrong, then fine. Use the ignore button.

I could never do this. You complete me.:love::flowerforyou:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Please everyone, lets all refrain from feeding the troll.
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    When I say something, people think I'm arguing, but when other people say something, they think the person is giving knowledge. I don't have time to fight with people. If a person believes I'm wrong, then fine. Use the ignore button.

I could never do this. You complete me.:love::flowerforyou:

:laugh:
  • Steven
    Steven Posts: 593 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hello Posters,

I've received many requests this morning to moderate this thread. I am happy to oblige on the counts of personal attack, insults, etc.

Unfortunately, I and the other moderators are not medical authorities, so I can't step in, as requested, and delete posts based on their factual content. I can ask that the debate remain civil, and that the name-calling and pouring-of-fuel on the drama fire cease.

This is actually a rather nuanced topic, and most members would benefit from having the concepts in this thread clarified. Please avoid sweeping generalizations, and make every attempt to distinguish personal opinion from scientific fact.

Please be aware that from this post forward, any personal attacks, insults, or drama-mongering will result in folks being blocked from the topic. Please keep it civil.

Thanks,
    Steven
    MyFitnessPal Staff
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Or doesnt understand what the term "after burn" means in this context.

What does it means?

Oh geez. I don't see how it's hard to understand.

Muscles burn more calories than fat. So by LIFTING WEIGHTS, you're helping your muscles to burn more fat at rest and while working out, even doing cardio. So doing cardio by itself is fine, but if you add in strength training too, the muscles will be MORE EFFECTIVE at burning fat around the clock. Basically, your body will become more efficient at burning calories.
  • AZackery
    Options
    Just because you prefer Cardio does not mean that weight lifting doesnt burn fat. AZackery Please do research before you give such strong, bold statements. Or say in your opinion.

If I only lift weights, how long will it take me to lose fat?
  • what923
    what923 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    People say it's all diet, and while it does seem to be mostly diet for me, I swear I AM losing more weight on the days I do cardio (even when eating the exercise calories back). There has to be some individual variation if everyone has such strong opinions one way or another.

Keep in mind that exercise also increases your metabolism for 1-2 days after the exercise session. So if you burn 500 calories running, and then eat 500 calories back, you'll still be burning additional calories as your body rebuilds your muscles and strengthens them.

AMEN! I find ahamm002's explanation to match most closely to what I was thinking.
    Plus- where is the love? Can't we all just get along. Honestly when people ask me what I'm doing to lose so much weight I answer (not to be cocky but truthful) "I'm working my a** off!" Overall fitness is a full-time tricky job. Not that my trainer is perfect but most of what he's told me put together with hello...COMMON SENSE!... and what I've read makes for a comprehensive plan. It is super tricky to do everything- create a calorie deficit to lose weight (could be fat or muscle), eat properly so your body has enough energy to burn the max amount of calories when you do work out no matter what you are doing (your body metabilism will slow down if it thinks it's starving), AND maintain/increase muscle to stay 'fit'. Sometimes the advice seems counterintuitive- like when muscle training you may need to eat more calories (especially protein) so your body can build the muscles and you may put on a little weight (muscle= heavier than fat) before you start to lose...but we all know (or should if you don't) that you can easily maintain weight and lose lots of inches (you are transferring the larger fat for the leaner & heavier muscle- to be clear it's not always easy to do this but usually at the beginning if you have a moderate amount to lose).
    This is not as easy as it appears- it's practically rocket science! ha
  • AZackery
    Options
    because you are spreading false truths.

Believe what you want.
  • SteveO1966
    SteveO1966 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Exercise is a must but in my experience diet is at least 75% of the equation. Over eating or eating high calorie can take hours of work to overcome.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Just because you prefer Cardio does not mean that weight lifting doesnt burn fat. AZackery Please do research before you give such strong, bold statements. Or say in your opinion.

If I only lift weights, how long will it take me to lose fat?
    IMO 5 seconds.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    because you are spreading false truths.

Believe what you want.

Shakeweights don't count.
This discussion has been closed.