HCG Drops

Options

Replies

• CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Good lord. Do we need to add Dr. Drew to the list of dough-headed "professionals" pushing this crap, along with Dr. Phil, Dr. Oz and The Doctors?

Read the facts on HCG and Very Low Calorie Diet: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/390151-should-i-do-the-hcg-diet
    Sounds like it.. smh
    ....I like the doctors lol.sometimes they have good info :smile:
    Always do your homework. If they recommend something that sounds too good to be true, or is a quick fix for weight loss -- Google it, adding "myth". :smile:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    ....I like the doctors lol.sometimes they have good info :smile:

I have an old Victorian mantle clock that's really cool, but doesn't work. It's still right twice a day. :wink:
  • merie08
    merie08 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    lol, just when they talk about healthy alternatives to fast food and things like that, i dont watch it too much tho
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    i will just keep up with what ive been doing. the good thing is that since i plateaued i raised my calories by 450 a couple days ago and already lost 1 lb. Trust me, im not too heart broken that HCG isnt all its cracked up to be.I was just curious if anyone did try it and had good results.

Hi there, friend. :-). I just wanted to let you know one of the huge downsides to the HCG 'program' (aside from starving yourself LOL) - losing weight that fast on a super low cal diet apparently makes you lose a higher percentage of muscle than if you do it the MFP way with a moderate deficit and hopefully exercise. Yes we want to lose 'weight' and yes it's common for some of the weight to be muscle, but it seems the HCG 500 cal thing makes people lose MORE muscle than they might have if they'd lost more slowly. Losing more muscle than necessary is not good b/c 1- if you don't have decent muscles your thinner body won't look as good when you get to your goal and 2- muscle loss can slow metabolism which can mess you up when you start eating regularly again. Yes there are some people that are happy with their results but there are also lots that have experienced undesirable side effects and unsustainable weight loss. All in all it's basically an anorexic diet along with a hormones that you are not supposed to have in your body right now (or a placebo if you're not getting it from a drs prescription).

It's frustrating and slow sometimes in this weightloss journey, but doing it the MFP way really is the safest and most sustainable way. Keep up your MFP efforts and try really hard to be patient. It totally works. :-)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    I have heard soo many good things about these and watched Dr.Drew today and it was going on and on about how natural and good they are for weight loss.has anybody tried them or knew anyone that did with good results?It says they are all natural and Ive done my research, just curious if anyone has actually tried them.
    It's natural for pregnant women to have the hormone in their body. Anybody "adding" it is unnatural. And when you here advocates say "it stops hunger", then why are pregnant women always eating? Read REAL research and not sites that advocate it. Read a peer reviewed (study by a University or reputed Medical Journal) study and you'll find out the truth.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • gymshoe42
    gymshoe42 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    it may be a quick fix, but it isn't a permanent fix. 500 calories a day isn't even enough calories to sustain bodily functions. Your body will likely revolt as soon as you go off them since you're effectively starving it ...and when that happens, it will try to counter and prevent it from happening again by.... storing more fat.

There is no magic quick fix or miracle diet that works on a permanent basis except just limiting your caloric intake and exercising. Glad you asked about it first though!
  • hellotina
    hellotina Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    i work for a doctor's office & the doctor i work for def does not recommend anyone to try that diet, its not healthy. like everyone else said just follow MFP & do it the healthy way & you will get them best long term results =)
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    The HCG diet is a dangerous scam. The ONLY reason people lose weight on it is the extremely low calorie food plan. HCG in ANY form has been repeatedly proven to do NOTHING to help with your weight loss or make it safe to eat only 500 calories a day.

I know some people that put their faith in the HCG diet, and became very ill from malnutrition as a result. It is NOT safe!

Here are a some good links about the HCG diet that you might want to read before you get any farther into this:

http://www.myhealthnewsdaily.com/hcg-diet-dangerous-1428

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hcg-diet/AN02091

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/truth-about-hcg-for-weight-loss

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/weight-loss-cure-dont-want-you-to-know

http://www.dietscam.org/reports/hcg.shtml

http://www.tucsonmedical.com/pages/hcg.php
  • SarahAbear
    Options
    I know it's unhealthy but I understand why people fall for these types of weight loss scams. "Lose 18 pounds in 4 minutes!" Losing a noticeable amount of weight takes a good amount of time. If it were easy I guess we all wouldn't be here. I try to encourage people to pace themselves. My before and after picture is pretty cool to look at but there are 5 years in between those pictures. Five long years full of small everyday choices to better myself and I haven't put a single pound back on. To anyone considering one of these fads I beg you to stick with your regular modest diet and exercise plan. You won't get there as fast but you will get there the right way and you won't gain it all back just as fast as you took it off.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    HCG does work very well. Yes the calorie restriction is causing the weight loss, but the hcg drops help with hunger control. In addition it also acts as a cleanser as it helps flush the fat toxins out of your body. I did the diet 7 days and lost 10 pounds. I feel absolutely great on the hcg diet. I hate to see people diss the diet before they try it. Its more then just the drops at work. Really its you at work: fighting urges, restricting your food in take, and eating healthier. Even if you do this a short period it is a great start to eating healthier. i have tried lots of diets and this is the only one that has brought me success in such a short period of time. The success is physical and mental. Check out my blog where I am keeping track of my weight loss www.mindbodybenefits.wordpress.com. Please subscribe and if you ever have any questions about this diet feel free to ask me. My contact information is on the blog. Happy Loosing!!

Did you take measurements before and after, b/c it has been shown repeatedly in people that had measurements or accurate BF%'s that the HCG diet makes people lose a lot more muscle than they would if they followed a more moderate plan. Losing lots of muscle as a big part of your 'weightloss' is not desireable.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    We are all loosing and our pants are getting really loose!!

2cc09adf-4dfa-4952-b46c-f28e9ac956e4.gif
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    Also I would like to mention that 5 of my friends are doing HCG and we all keep up to date with each other. We are all loosing and our pants are getting really loose!! check out my blog and keep up to date with me by subscribing www.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.wordpress.com
    From that website: "Are you interested in purchasing HCG Drops? You do not want to buy the drops from just anywhere. Many websites sell HCG Drops, but not all are quality. There is so much to learn about the HCG Diet. Please contact me if you have any questions, or if you are interested in buying a bottle. I am a distributor of the HCG product in Grand Rapids, Michigan."

This is a violation of MFP guidelines.

Also, it invalidates what you've said. How convenient, your first two posts here, and they are to promote your website, where you sell the crap.
  • HMonsterX
    Options
    Also I would like to mention that 5 of my friends are doing HCG and we all keep up to date with each other. We are all loosing and our pants are getting really loose!! check out my blog and keep up to date with me by subscribing www.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.wordpress.com
    From that website: "Are you interested in purchasing HCG Drops? You do not want to buy the drops from just anywhere. Many websites sell HCG Drops, but not all are quality. There is so much to learn about the HCG Diet. Please contact me if you have any questions, or if you are interested in buying a bottle. I am a distributor of the HCG product in Grand Rapids, Michigan."

Also, it invalidates what you've said. How convenient, your first two posts here, and they are to promote your website, where you sell the crap.

Could not have said it better myself Gordo. :)
  • CaptainGordo
    Options

Could not have said it better myself Gordo. :)
    Well, the "We are all loosing and our pants are getting really loose!!", as you pointed out, should have been enough to make most people realize that the source of the info was... questionable. :laugh:
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    There are also people who have done this "diet" and have lost hair, been sick, light-headed, etc. We all know anorexics do serious damage to their internal organs (Karen Carpenter died of heart failure due to her anorexia). HCG requires you to eat at the level of an anorexic. What I don't get is that people would say an anorexic is unhealthy eating at that level, but it's okay to do it if you take HCG? Does that not strike people as odd (I know most MFPers will find it as odd as I do--I'm talking about the people that fall for this stuff)?

The fact that Kevin Trudeau is associated with this should give people serious pause. The man is NOT a medical doctor or even a scientist and has been investigated and fined by the Federal Trade Commission numerous times for promoting this type of crap. I guess because he promotes it as some "secret the government doesn't want you to know about", people fall for it. An elderly lady gave my mom a copy of Trudeau's book (the one that promotes HCG, among other junk science) at church. When my mom showed it to me, I told her to just go home and google Trudeau's name. I guaranteed her she wouldn't even want to waste her time reading the book once she saw his record, and I was right. She politely returned it to the lady a week later. My mom's a nurse and knows enough to recognize crap science when she sees it!
  • gigiangelique
    gigiangelique Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    the drops are not ever real hgc and the only reason why you would loose weight is because they put you on the 500 cal diet. Save your $ work out 10 min more a day and cut out any "treats" and you will drop pounds XX
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    isnt a poster openly selling this dangerous stuff a violation?
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    This is what I read...

HCG does work very well. Happy Loosing!!

Loose the weight and you will notice that your pants are loser. YAY!
  • HMonsterX
    Options
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    isnt a poster openly selling this dangerous stuff a violation?

Yup. I reported them. The two people advertising the diet on this post both had new profiles with nothing filled out and have only commented on this post.