calling all parents, new parent needs help

Options

Replies

• sweetheart_wi
    sweetheart_wi Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My Daughter had the same thing, if the Apple Juice doesn't work, we found that Pear Juice worked for her...
    or we added Karo Syrup (in the baking aisle at the grocery store) and added that to her liquids (just a little bit)

That all helped for awhile but make sure her Peditrician knows they also can prescribe medicine to help.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    A Fig Newton cookie! Believe it or not helps.
  • brimir
    brimir Posts: 72
    Options
    1 teaspoon of pancake syrup ( like Karo)in 2 oz of water. My pediatircian gave me this tip when my kids were little and it worked like a charm.

surup, corn syrup or brown sugar all work the same. give it to him in his bottles for a few days, should help the little guy out!
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I have dealt with this same problem with my 3 year old. She eventually outgrew it,but we did prune juice, apple juice, and before outgrowing it, the doctor prescribed enemas once every 9 days for her. There are baby fiber drops you can give, they really did seem to help. We also ended up having to limit her milk, cheese, and bananas. It was either one or the other, she could never have all three, or even two of them in one day. Lots of water, more fiber, and patience. It does go away. If it doesn't, a trip to the doctor may be in order. We had a friend go through the same thing, and they found that her son had pyloric stenosis. It can be helped with a minor surgery. Talk to the doctor if you are too concerned.
  • mplasky
    Options
    my daughter has the same issues and she is 6 but they started when she was 2. Doctor told us peaches help get things going and also you might want to switch from whole milk to either 1% or 2% whole milk can cause constipation or so i was told. Also if its really bad there is a baby enema at ur local drug store its a blue box with a penguin on it.
  • merrick7871
    Options
    Dark Karo in his milk will work wonders!
  • peacek
    peacek Posts: 211
    Options
    I swear by prune juice or prune baby food jar.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    If he doesn't poo, you don't have to clean it up. I don't see the problem.
  • StartingAnewDay
    StartingAnewDay Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I never had my kids on whole Milk.. It's just too much IMO.. Think about it!! Most of us switch to 2% or lower because it's better for us.. well.. same applies for the kids.. I did 2% milk and if there some instances, normally a tsp of Karo in one bottle did the trick. I hope this helps a little.. Also.. talk to your doctor about if it's necessary for the whole milk. May just be a change in diet is in order. :smile: Hang in there!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    That means he needs fiber.
    Ask your DR about this and how to give a baby fiber.
  • Shawn_Marie
    Options
    Prune juice or puree.

Don't get too crazy with home remedies.

Totally agree!
    Prunes or prune juice. Karo syrup is not good for babies. Stay with natural which is always best.
  • CRSE1214
    CRSE1214 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    apple, prune or pear juices (under 6 months old half it 2 oz water to 2 oz juice). Peas, beans, apricots, prunes, peaches or pears (baby food or pureed). Applesauce, cheese, rice cereal and bananas can make it WORSE so try and avoid these.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    prune juice baby!
  • KWake1
    KWake1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Less "biniding" foods like bananas, oatmeal, some breads. And more fruit especially ones that start with a "P". Think "P" for poop! Pears, prunes, peaches, plums...
  • Bridget28152723
    Bridget28152723 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    He is on whole milk? Or formula? How old is he?

Adding a small amoung of DARK karo syrup to his bottle is safe and effective. So is apple juice and prune juice.

he is a year old,

thanks for the tips
    I agree with this, its probably the whole milk...a lot of people in the past have used Karo syrup, Im sure what everybody has told you will help him, If not, take him to his doc. All 3 of my kids has had a bad bout with constipation once or twice, it is normal but its so hard to see our child in pain I know. I hope the little guy gets relief !

Some babies' tummies can't tolerate whole milk for a while. It's really an individual basis thing. The milk could be contributing.
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    my kid is always constipated, so he isn't allowed to have white bread, rice, or pasta, has 3-4 servings of vegetables a day, 2-3 servings of fruit, and he eats about 30 grams of fiber a day already at age 3 (but has been eating like this since age 1).

when he is constipated, the only thing that helps is a 2nd stage jar of pureed squash (like beech nut). usually after he eats that he has a large bowel movement within 1-4 hours. I suggest giving this to your child with the meal that is furthest from the next time he goes to bed (poopy in the crib is just not fun).
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    He is on whole milk? Or formula? How old is he?

Adding a small amoung of DARK karo syrup to his bottle is safe and effective. So is apple juice and prune juice.

this works. My 6 year old occasionally still gets issues because she's a picky eater, but as a baby we used a little prune juice. Now I add coconut oil/butter to some foods to help her or if i'm desperate, some Miralax, but I go natural first.
  • melbhall
    melbhall Posts: 519
    Options
    I give my two year old Gerber puréed prunes! They usually work that day and taste decent. Trust the masses, prunes rock!
  • crystal_loga
    crystal_loga Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    glycerine suppositories. get the pediatric size and then split that in half. you have to hold it in or the muscles will just force it right back out. but they really do work. my middle daughter was always constipated, for some reason.

This is the only thing that worked for us.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    glycerine suppositories. get the pediatric size and then split that in half. you have to hold it in or the muscles will just force it right back out. but they really do work. my middle daughter was always constipated, for some reason.

This is the only thing that worked for us.

This, but only if apple juice doesn't work first.