home sick - remedies?

Options
paxetamore
paxetamore Posts: 399 Member
(posting this again with complete topic header)

Home sick today :( Been fending off a work bug for about a week now. This morning, throat so sore can barely speak, along with a nice helping of fever & chills.

Spent the morning trying to convince the cat to bring me a glass of juice. Nope. Typical feline response ;-)

Hope it does not last long. Anyone else had this yet? Suggestions for quick recovery?

Replies

• Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Fluids, rest, gargle with salt water, more fluids, more rest, garlic, vitamin C, vitamin D, more fluids, more rest, hot lemon and honey, hot shower, more fluid, more rest.

Oh, and take something for the pain and fever so you can get down the fluids, and rest!
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I usually drink lots of orange juice. Vitamin C and it helps me sleep.
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Silly me thought you were homesick and I was going to recommend going home for the holidays.
    My bad!
    :blushing:
  • mrsjenfrank
    mrsjenfrank Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    a tablespoon of honey (pure honey) once every few hours will help with the sore throat. honey is a natural antiseptic and helps coat the throat and kill off the baddies that are making your throat irritated. also, try drinking some warm lemon tea. if you don't have lemon tea, boil water and put real lemon juice in it.

feel better soon!
  • saffir27
    saffir27 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Popsicle also help with the sore throat.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    vitamin D and B. and 1,000 mg of C.

I also SWEAR by zinc lozenges.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    ooo yes. drink a TON of water. I mean a ton.
  • wildcard29
    wildcard29 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I taking vitamin C, zinc, and sipping hot chamomile with honey
  • paxetamore
    Options
    Silly me thought you were homesick and I was going to recommend going home for the holidays.
    My bad!
    :blushing:

LOL! Yep can see that now, perhaps a better worded topic in order next time :blushing:
  • paxetamore
    Options
    Fluids, rest, gargle with salt water, more fluids, more rest, garlic, vitamin C, vitamin D, more fluids, more rest, hot lemon and honey, hot shower, more fluid, more rest.

Oh, and take something for the pain and fever so you can get down the fluids, and rest!

salt water... check (ugh!)
    fluids... check
    hot shower... check
    vitamin C... check
    rest... trying, i get sooo bored!
    garlic... hunting through the cupboards....

thank you for your great list of suggestions!
  • paxetamore
    Options
    I usually drink lots of orange juice. Vitamin C and it helps me sleep.

got the C, now just need some extra sleep so gonna try some decaf tea
  • paxetamore
    Options
    a tablespoon of honey (pure honey) once every few hours will help with the sore throat. honey is a natural antiseptic and helps coat the throat and kill off the baddies that are making your throat irritated. also, try drinking some warm lemon tea. if you don't have lemon tea, boil water and put real lemon juice in it.

feel better soon!

no honey in the cupboard for this poohbear :sad:

the lemon tea is nice though... thank you
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Honey and lime juice for the throat.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

^This.
  • paxetamore
    Options
    Popsicle also help with the sore throat.

probably good for the fever too. none in the freezer this time of year though. thanks for suggestion & will keep it in mind for next year's summer bug :flowerforyou:
  • paxetamore
    Options
    vitamin D and B. and 1,000 mg of C.

I also SWEAR by zinc lozenges.

got everything but the vitamin D... i had not heard of that being helpful before... how so?

(and working on TONS of water)

thanks for suggestions!!
  • paxetamore
    Options
    I taking vitamin C, zinc, and sipping hot chamomile with honey

there's that honey again! well, i am just gonna have to stock some after i'm well for the next time around. thank you :flowerforyou:
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    My dad used to tell me that when I'd get sick I wasn't drinking enough whiskey (I was a teen, too). lol

Hot lemon tea w/ honey is my go-to drink...unless I'm super achy and want to pass out than I make a nice hot toddy.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I always go for nyquil....lol I just sleep through it all and feel LOADS better.
  • paxetamore
    Options
    My dad used to tell me that when I'd get sick I wasn't drinking enough whiskey (I was a teen, too). lol

Hot lemon tea w/ honey is my go-to drink...unless I'm super achy and want to pass out than I make a nice hot toddy.

LOL. dang no whiskey either :grumble: