home sick - remedies?

Options
2»

Replies

• m0dizzle
    m0dizzle Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Check out this tea called "Throat Coat". It's organic, delicious, and an old theatre cure for a poor throat. Should help you feel better fast!
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I thought being home sick as a dog while you have a preschooler is terrible-- at least he can bring me a glass of water! :(:(:(

Lots of rest and fluids. I am not sure if you mean home remedies or not, so here is what I do for colds / flus:

Dayquil / Nyquil -- I don't know why people are so adverse to medicine. If it helps me feel less like a zombie, I am all for it

Theraflu-- make sure you get the night stuff, use boiling water and take before bed. I HATE waking up in the middle of the night sick, since you always feel worse at night / when you first wake up

Homemade chicken soup like this one: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/rosemary-chicken-noodle-soup/
    Since this is a diet website, I am going to mention that I sometimes use spaghetti squash instead of noodles in my bowl. :D

Celestial Seasonings Wellness Sampler teas. I also second m0dizzle with Throat Coat. Add some honey, which is supposed to help cough and soothe throat

Vicks Vapor Rub and a Pediacare menthol night light diffuser thing -- Works wonders, esp if you are one of the medicine aversion types!

Humidifier-- you can buy a menthol liquid (Kaz makes it). This is going to help your cough and stuffy nose.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Fluids, rest, gargle with salt water, more fluids, more rest, garlic, vitamin C, vitamin D, more fluids, more rest, hot lemon and honey, hot shower, more fluid, more rest.

Oh, and take something for the pain and fever so you can get down the fluids, and rest!

salt water... check (ugh!)
    fluids... check
    hot shower... check
    vitamin C... check
    rest... trying, i get sooo bored!
    garlic... hunting through the cupboards....

thank you for your great list of suggestions!

For boredom: I hope you have Netflix! I've been watching their history documentaries streaming online... Very interesting and def keeps your mind busy while you are crashed out!
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I had the warning symptoms for a bout a week. Tickle in my throat, random cough or sneeze. I finally came down with full blown laryngitis on Sunday. Spent monday feeling very tired and unable to speak above a whisper. I woke up at 2 this morning feeling like someone had sandpapered my throat. But when I got up at 8 the sore throat was mostly gone. I'm just a little tired with mlld upper respiratory symptoms. I feel like I'll be fine tomorrow. I didn't take anything except a glass of Gentleman Jack and honey last night for the laryngitis. It seems like its only a 2 or 3 day bug.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    good for nothing cats...............
  • littlesis412
    littlesis412 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    We usually take Nyquil and just sleep it out. Ricola lozenges helped my throat a lot when I couldn't stop coughing. I would suggest against taking a fever suppressant solely for its own sake. A little bit of fever is a good thing. It's the body's way of killing the disease and will regulate itself.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Paracetamol to reduce fever, ibuprofen to reduce any swelling/inflammation in throat and both ease pain... zinc to help fight the infection... Vitamin C to start help rebuilding immune system and prevent further infection (it won't kill off current infection though you're past that!), fluids to replace those lost from sweating during fever and some salts too to rebalance electrolytes! Some fresh fruit and veg, and plain food too.. Make sure you eat though... plain things like porridge oats with honey (also contains natural antibacterials!)
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Seems strange, but in Germany, when I got sick, they gave me a couple shots of vodka. I felt better the next day.
    Also, I work backstage for musicals sometimes, and whenever somebody has a sore throat, they're drinking black tea with lemon and chasing it with honey.
    When I can see the flu coming around though (usually when people around me start to get sick), I make sure to up my Vitamin C intake and get a lot of rest.
    Ibuprofen would be good for inflammation in the throat, but I wouldn't take NyQuil (fever reducer) unless you absolutely can't sleep and need something to knock you out. A slight fever is good, that's how your body fights off the infection. :)

Hope you feel better soon. :)
  • paxetamore
    paxetamore Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Thank you all SOOOO much for taking the time to respond. Y'all cheered me up with your humor & well-wishes... and offered great tips :flowerforyou:

Feeling a tad better.

Used Emergen-C for vitamins and electrolytes, Cold-eez zinc lozenges, lots of decaf green tea with lemon, and some spicy curry & garlic for good measure.

Even did a few minutes of Wii step... curry is expensive in calories lol!

Here's to a more productive day tomorrow :drinker:
  • Being2befit
    Being2befit Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I know this will sound sick but my mom would put mustard on our backs wrap us up in blanket make us sit and sweat our the cold..within 24hrs we were good as new :)
  • paxetamore
    Options
    I know this will sound sick but my mom would put mustard on our backs wrap us up in blanket make us sit and sweat our the cold..within 24hrs we were good as new :)

Lol! This reminded me of a cure I used as a teenager... I would shuffle down to the high school track and run, and run, and run, and run until I had only enough energy left to drag my *kitten* back home, take a steam shower, drink a gallon of water, and go to sleep. Crazy. But worked every time.
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Throat Coat tea (in the organics section if it's not by the regular tea) with whiskey, lemon, and honey. I call it a concoction. It will make you sweat then knock you out but the next day you will feel better. I always make sure I have those items on hand just for that. I rarely ever drink whiskey but I always have a big bottle of it in the liquor cabinet.
  • paxetamore
    Options
    It seems like its only a 2 or 3 day bug.

Your symptoms were very similar to mine... Good to know only 2-3 days! Thanks :))