bye bye bulky calves

Options
anyone know any good ways to reduce bulky calves? i kno spot reducing is a myth but anything at all I can add to workouts to make more of a difference? *fingers crossed*

Replies

• AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    anyone know any good ways to reduce bulky calves? i kno spot reducing is a myth but anything at all I can add to workouts to make more of a difference? *fingers crossed*

What kind of cardio workouts are you doing?
  • rougette66
    rougette66 Posts: 210 Member
    Options

Well I dont do like formal cardio, its more of a bunch of workouts i've found online from muslceandstrength.com. I did cardio over the past year (interval with treadmill etc. ) and that caused my calves to get even WORSE! so usually when I workout I go for a little 20/30 walk outside.
  • AZackery
    Options

Well I dont do like formal cardio, its more of a bunch of workouts i've found online from muslceandstrength.com. I did cardio over the past year (interval with treadmill etc. ) and that caused my calves to get even WORSE! so usually when I workout I go for a little 20/30 walk outside.

Try Tae Bo. Indoor walking is good. Leslie Sansone and Chris Freytag have some good walking workouts.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    As you can see by this post from yesterday: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/412817-how-to-get-lean-muscles-and-not-bulky

It's not about cardio (this particular OP did plenty of cardio), the answer is not cardio, the answer (as long as you're going with a realistic goal) is reducing overall body fat percentages. I do a mixture of cardio and lifting heavy, I spend equal amounts of each in the gym each week, and have reduced the girth of my calves a great deal. I have some pictures in that thread of my legs in boots that I now have to give away because they are so loose where as last year I broke the fob off the zipper trying to pull them up. I always did cardio but didn't see any real results until I start lifting.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    As you can see by this post from yesterday: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/412817-how-to-get-lean-muscles-and-not-bulky

It's not about cardio (this particular OP did plenty of cardio), the answer is not cardio, the answer (as long as you're going with a realistic goal) is reducing overall body fat percentages. I do a mixture of cardio and lifting heavy, I spend equal amounts of each in the gym each week, and have reduced the girth of my calves a great deal. I have some pictures in that thread of my legs in boots that I now have to give away because they are so loose where as last year I broke the fob off the zipper trying to pull them up. I always did cardio but didn't see any real results until I start lifting.

This.. Don't listen to AZackary.

I agree with cutting back the cardio and doing weight lifting. I weight lift and I now have nice shapely calves instead of bulky ones.

I try to do an even mix of cardio and weights, but some weeks that doesn't happen.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I agree with overall weight loss (accomplished with a calorie deficit). Just 15 pounds made a big difference in my calf size.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Me too! I always felt like I had popeye legs my calves were so big. 17 pounds reduced it and that was watching what I ate and lifting with some running. I have to admit I was afraid of lifting heavy because of the possibility of my calves getting bigger. For real, with eating at a deficit.

DI NOT TRUST ANYONE WHO TELLS YOU LIFTING HEAVY WILL MAKE YOU BULKY. Unless you're on roids and eating a lot, lifting won't.

You're also gonna get folks making assertions in one direction or another. Look at who's saying what and whether it appears they have results similar to what you want. Maybe consider where there is consensus and knowledge and where there is just assertion.

You'll figure it out for you, but for me lifting heavy made my calves much sexier.
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    are we putting measurements out here or what? I am about an in off of being able to zip up some boots from last year! My calves are HUGE.
  • AZackery
    Options

Can a person reduce overall body fat with cardio?
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    <
    I just posted this pic for you ... BIKING ! Get moving, legs lifts, squats ... and BIKING ! =)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You could try some pilates or yoga. Both help to develop long, lean muscles.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

The op already said that she was doing cardio, suggesting adding more cardio to her cardio when she's obviously not getting the results she wants with cardio isn't the answer. How's that saying go about doing the same thing over and over and over again and expecting different results? Reducing overall bf% on just cardio is a debatable topic, some people say you can, some say you can't, most (like me) suggest a mixture for optimum results. I was an adrenaline junkie for years running, stepping (I'm a group fit instructor) spinning swimming and what I figured out over the past 6 months is that all that cardio is great but you don't get bf% down witthout a caloric deficit, using cardio to help create caloric deficits is fine for getting bf% down, but by lifting you make the process more efficient by maintaining lean mass, you cannot maintain lean mass at as high a rate by simply moving as you can my lifting heavy, and in a state of rest muscle continues to burn calories, so the more you have the higher your overall burn. You can't argue with time tested results, science, and research. Well you can, but I'm the one that looks good naked (and cneeds a new pair of boots).

Note: I tried to edit out all my typos but I'm on my phone so everyone will just have to ****ing deal with it.
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options

What if the issue is having a lot of muscle in your calves? I was 140lb at 5'8 and still had 16" calves.
  • AZackery
    Options

The op already said that she was doing cardio, suggesting adding more cardio to her cardio when she's obviously not getting the results she wants with cardio isn't the answer. How's that saying go about doing the same thing over and over and over again and expecting different results? Reducing overall bf% on just cardio is a debatable topic, some people say you can, some say you can't, most (like me) suggest a mixture for optimum results. I was an adrenaline junkie for years running, stepping (I'm a group fit instructor) spinning swimming and what I figured out over the past 6 months is that all that cardio is great but you don't get bf% down witthout a caloric deficit, using cardio to help create caloric deficits is fine for getting bf% down, but by lifting you make the process more efficient by maintaining lean mass, you cannot maintain lean mass at as high a rate by simply moving as you can my lifting heavy, and in a state of rest muscle continues to burn calories, so the more you have the higher your overall burn. You can't argue with time tested results, science, and research. Well you can, but I'm the one that looks good naked (and cneeds a new pair of boots).

Note: I tried to edit out all my typos but I'm on my phone so everyone will just have to ****ing deal with it.

First off, I want to say I don't care about typos. The OP wants the bulkiness in her calves to go away. I believe that cardio will help her. I don't believe in lifting heavy. A person doesn't have to lift heavy to get results. If the OP wants to lift heavy, she can go for it. I've given her suggestions that I think can help her.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    First off, I want to say I don't care about typos. The OP wants the bulkiness in her calves to go away. I believe that cardio will help her. I don't believe in lifting heavy. A person doesn't have to lift heavy to get results. If the OP wants to lift heavy, she can go for it. I've given her suggestions that I think can help her.
    Too bad your answers are ALL the same for every problem. You seem to think that Tae Bo is the answer for every cardio question and sculpt lifting is the answer to every strength question. I've NEVER seen you say anything else otherwise. You're proving your knowledge is limited.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    It's really going to boil down to overall body fat reduction. And even then genetics play a factor. Do most of the people in your family have big calves?

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything specific to offer. Maybe swimming?
    Good luck!
  • summalovaable
    summalovaable Posts: 287 Member
    Options

How's that saying go about doing the same thing over and over and over again and expecting different results?

I believe that is Einsten's definition of insanity.

And I jump rope and bike like crazy. Try to work on building up some muscle in your calves, so that all that yucky fat can stop making you look bulky. Switching up your excercises will hopefully do the trick :flowerforyou: Best of luck!
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    This whole thread has me laughing...

"do this, but don't do what that person says" or "this will lean out your calves, but that won't".

Until we know how much bodyfat the OP has, and what her genetics are, how can we give her any advice short of lose more bodyfat?
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    OMG didn't we just do this?