bye bye bulky calves

Options

Replies

• bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    eating decent and keeping within your caloric goals along with a workout routine that includes both cardio and strength training
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    eating decent and keeping within your caloric goals along with a workout routine that includes both cardio and strength training
    Simple and true.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • thor1god1of1awesome
    Options
    I agree with bry
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Simple and true.

was gonna say this... glad I read it all...
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I have bulky calves. When I was skinny i still have bulky calves. I do believe it's possible to lose some not much
    to make different in my case. I can't wear knee hi boots even the wide calve boots.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I have bulky calves. When I was skinny i still have bulky calves. I do believe it's possible to lose some not much
    to make different in my case. I can't wear knee hi boots even the wide calve boots.

You should try Tae Bo.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

You should try Tae Bo.

How about Cardio Sculpt? :flowerforyou:
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

You should try Tae Bo.

How about Cardio Sculpt? :flowerforyou:

Oh how I wish someone had a formula to help me calculate my body fat % from my woefully inaccurate BIA devices.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    tae bo superset with calf raises
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    This whole thread has me laughing...

"do this, but don't do what that person says" or "this will lean out your calves, but that won't".

Until we know how much bodyfat the OP has, and what her genetics are, how can we give her any advice short of lose more bodyfat?

Um, have you ever seen the posts with AZachary before? Generally they turn into a huge mess... like they are starting too now.

We are telling her to lose more body fat by weight lifting and cutting back the cardio... and hopefully that message gets imparted to her.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    First off, I want to say I don't care about typos. The OP wants the bulkiness in her calves to go away. I believe that cardio will help her. I don't believe in lifting heavy. A person doesn't have to lift heavy to get results. If the OP wants to lift heavy, she can go for it. I've given her suggestions that I think can help her.
    Too bad your answers are ALL the same for every problem. You seem to think that Tae Bo is the answer for every cardio question and sculpt lifting is the answer to every strength question. I've NEVER seen you say anything else otherwise. You're proving your knowledge is limited.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I'll just say :heart:
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

"do this, but don't do what that person says" or "this will lean out your calves, but that won't".

Until we know how much bodyfat the OP has, and what her genetics are, how can we give her any advice short of lose more bodyfat?

Um, have you ever seen the posts with AZachary before? Generally they turn into a huge mess... like they are starting too now.

She's climbin in yo forums
    She's gettin you threads locked up
    Thread derailin so you better
    Hide you posts, hide em right, hide yo posts hide em right.

She don't need no facts to defend
    Her opinions to you
    She gonna ignore you
    She gonna ignore you

Just one way to burn fat, way to burn fat, way to burn fat
    Tae Bo, Tae Tae Tae Bo!
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options

Her opinions to you
    She gonna ignore you
    She gonna ignore you

Tae Bo, Tae Tae Tae Bo!

Bwahahaha coffee on my computer screen again. Gotta stop drinking while reading the forums.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options

Her opinions to you
    She gonna ignore you
    She gonna ignore you

Tae Bo, Tae Tae Tae Bo!

11421245.jpg
  • rougette66
    rougette66 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    okayyyyyyyyy WOW! LOL thanks for the advice guys, ill just break it down with random points

1) my body fat % is 27.14
    2)nope no family history of bulky calves, everyone has very thin normal calves
    3)how should i weight lift to target my calves as well? I dont do heavy lifting bc it leads to spotting, and various other issues down there (sorry guys)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    okayyyyyyyyy WOW! LOL thanks for the advice guys, ill just break it down with random points

3)how should i weight lift to target my calves as well? I dont do heavy lifting bc it leads to spotting, and various other issues down there (sorry guys)

Just going out a limb, but I don't think the heavy lifting is causing you to spot and other issues down there... you may want to check with a doc though for that.

Second, to target calves do squats, lunges, calf raises.. all will target them. Do a google search and I'm sure you'll find more.
  • bry_all01
    Options

In that regard, you will want to bring your body fat down some more, it WILL help bring the bulk down. And, as dad106 said, squats, lunges, calf raises (bike and treadmill on an incline, too) will all help, too.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I would say define bulky? Do you see them as bulky or do other see them that way? My wife thinks she has fat legs but everyone in my group loves her legs. But either way, overall body fat loss is the best to reduce size and the best way to achieve that is weight training as muscle burns fat.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    If she wants to reduce the size of her calves, why would she be advised to "target" them? In my experience, when you target a muscle group, it only serves to increase the size of that muscle group. It seems like avoiding exercises that put strain on the calves would be the temporary way to go while she loses more BF. I ask in sincerity, as I may have missed a point in the conversation about this.

As for calf development, from what I've read, long, lean calves are built through endurance (running and cycling), and short, compact calves are built through explosive moves (sprints, gym work, etc). This, of course depending on genetics as well.
  • bry_all01
    Options
    If she wants to reduce the size of her calves, why would she be advised to "target" them? In my experience, when you target a muscle group, it only serves to increase the size of that muscle group. It seems like avoiding exercises that put strain on the calves would be the temporary way to go while she loses more BF. I ask in sincerity, as I may have missed a point in the conversation about this.

As for calf development, from what I've read, long, lean calves are built through endurance (running and cycling), and short, compact calves are built through explosive moves (sprints, gym work, etc). This, of course depending on genetics as well.

I agree, no one can spot reduce and she is at 27.14% BF, so in order to see a change, she is going to want to lower her BF percentage to start.

As far as me agreeing that squats, lunges, etc. will help is only because they will help tighten the calves, especially the calf raises as her BF percentage decreases. I am not saying ONLY focus on that, but I am saying make sure to also focus on that when doing cardio and strength. In other words, I do not think the "problem" area should be left alone because it is a bulky area, but instead, work it along with everything else.