what is the absolute worst "food" you've ever tasted?

Options
I'm a fan of trying new things, especially abroad. I love to hear what people think is the worst tasting thing they have ever eaten!

I'll go first.

An Icelandic delicacy is fermented shark fin. They cut the fin off the shark and let it ferment for days. They cut it into itty bitty pieces and serve it on toothpicks. It is traditionally chased with Icelandic Schnapps. This was by far the worst tasting "food" I've ever tried! When it hit my tongue, I couldn't bring myself to chew it even once - I swallowed it and chased it with the Schnapps. Four hours later I burped fermented shark fin and thought I was going to die! :sick:

Replies

• MisoSoup79
    Options
    I'm a fan of trying new things, especially abroad. I love to hear what people think is the worst tasting thing they have ever eaten!

I'll go first.

An Icelandic delicacy is fermented shark fin. They cut the fin off the shark and let it ferment for days. They cut it into itty bitty pieces and serve it on toothpicks. It is traditionally chased with Icelandic Schnapps. This was by far the worst tasting "food" I've ever tried! When it hit my tongue, I couldn't bring myself to chew it even once - I swallowed it and chased it with the Schnapps. Four hours later I burped fermented shark fin and thought I was going to die! :sick:
  • running4myhealth
    Options
    I live in South Korea.

Many people here eat dog.

That's all I have to say about that.

No, I've never tried it and never will. I've smelled it and that was more than enough!
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    lima bean hands down for me!:sick: I went to a Catholic Grade School...they forced us to eat everything on our plates (ah ya know the starving in India children tactic) EVERYTHING even LIMA BEANS:grumble: :sick: They would check your tray and under your tray the napkins, the milk cartons they would shake all when you went to the trash can where they monitored even that! OMG the horrors of being policed by nuns forcing me to eat lima beans in 1st & 2nd grade..BLAHH.

So yea it would be lima beans which I finally learned to hide under the table ledge/lip thingy so I imagine many lima beans fell to the floor when the lunch tables were folded up so we could use the lunch room for the gym later.:blushing: :laugh: :tongue:

Liver....another ewww for me, those are the ones that come to my mind immediately.:sick: :frown: Yet another childhood horror:laugh: :tongue:

FC:heart:
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I live in South Korea.

Many people here eat dog.

That's all I have to say about that.

No, I've never tried it and never will. I've smelled it and that was more than enough!

Ewwwww

I live in Italy and HORSE is a common meal here.

My daughter, one time for dinner at her great-grandma's house (when she was really little) took a bite of meat. After realizing what it was I started to yell at her to spit it out! I couldn't and will NEVER eat HORSE. No one here can understand that.
  • TudorRose
    TudorRose Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. When I was little, we went on holiday to Germany and my mum tried horse. When I found out, I refused to speak to her for quite some time (relative to a six year old). I've always ridden and looked after horses- how could I eat one?

I've tried ostrich and kangaroo though- they can be tough if not cooked right, but very nice if done properly.

It's the "normal" foods I can't stand. Cooked tomatoes and mushrooms- though I'll devour them raw. Peanut butter. Melted cheese. Any fish. Perfectly normal, everyday foods- and I find the idea more repulsive than eating crickets :grumble:
  • timetoembrace
    Options
    SUSHI:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

By far the worst thing I have ever put in my mouth...

My husband talked me into trying it and after I got finished choking, i wanted to choke him!:angry::angry:

Never again, I think I would rather eat the dog.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • hoamai
    hoamai Posts: 76
    Options
    Well, I work in SE Asia - and everything seems to come under the category "food" - certainly dogs (I've lost 3 to restaurants!!:sad: ). I am not a fan of goat meat. Snake and pidgeon blood are also off my list of foods I will eat. On the other hand, a lot of the food is really delicious and fresh.
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    SUSHI:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

By far the worst thing I have ever put in my mouth...

My husband talked me into trying it and after I got finished choking, i wanted to choke him!:angry::angry:

Never again, I think I would rather eat the dog.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Mmm, I LOVE sushi. But at least you tried it!

Mayonaise. Gross!!!
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    Well, I work in SE Asia - and everything seems to come under the category "food" - certainly dogs (I've lost 3 to restaurants!!:sad: ). I am not a fan of goat meat. Snake and pidgeon blood are also off my list of foods I will eat. On the other hand, a lot of the food is really delicious and fresh.

You really lost pet dogs to restaurants? Oh how horrible. Oh my goodness...all I can do is think of my own dog, well he's my ex-husband's now, but still...man. Ugh. Beyond ugh.
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Raw sea cucumber. I was at a little "restaurant" although I would barely call it that.... on the southeast coast of Korea, the guy got it fresh outta the water and chopped it up infront of me. by far the worst thing I have ever eaten.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I refuse to try anything I dont smell and like. I used to HATE sushi....gross........raw octopus? Really?

Now I love it! :flowerforyou:
  • Lil_Leah
    Lil_Leah Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    potato sausage. :noway:

it stinks. and tastes even worse. dont do it. :embarassed:
  • genabug
    genabug Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Chitlins, I have never tasted them, but the smell is enough! :sick:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I rarely actually eat something that looks or smells gross.

I have never and WILL never like chicken livers (GROSS!)

And gefilte fish. It both looks and tastes disgusting to me. I have heard it can be done a certain way where it's good........but I just can't do it!! :sick:
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Beef liver & onions......:sick: :sick: :sick:
  • AngelinSinCity
    Options
    This helped with my focus on diet today :) Thanks. I've lost my appetite completly!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    lima bean hands down for me!:sick: I went to a Catholic Grade School...they forced us to eat everything on our plates (ah ya know the starving in India children tactic) EVERYTHING even LIMA BEANS:grumble: :sick: They would check your tray and under your tray the napkins, the milk cartons they would shake all when you went to the trash can where they monitored even that! OMG the horrors of being policed by nuns forcing me to eat lima beans in 1st & 2nd grade..BLAHH.

So yea it would be lima beans which I finally learned to hide under the table ledge/lip thingy so I imagine many lima beans fell to the floor when the lunch tables were folded up so we could use the lunch room for the gym later.:blushing: :laugh: :tongue:

Liver....another ewww for me, those are the ones that come to my mind immediately.:sick: :frown: Yet another childhood horror:laugh: :tongue:

FC:heart:

I am right there with you - Lima beans and Liver - Liver is the worse of the two - I would swallow the beans whole...the liver I'd put so much salt when I was a kid my mom finally quit making me eat it. YUCK! and yes I said yuck!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options

I'll go first.

Served with Black Death shots, right?!? A coworker was just telling me about this the other day and how disgusted he was by the shark and Black Death.
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Cottage Cheese!!!
    I can't eat something that looks like it was already eaten!!!!

I won't eat seafood, can't eat anything that swims around in it's own poo!!!

Memaw
  • mburris
    Options
    :happy: I teach at a high school. Our chemistry teacher has a project called the chemistry cook-off. It is used to reinforce the organic chemistry concepts of fats, proteins, and carbohydrates of orgainc substances. Anyway, I was picked to judge the cook-off. One student brought homemade blueberry muffins. They were the prettiest muffins I'd ever seen, and looked so good. When I bit into it, I tasted sand paper. It was the driest, most rancid thing I had ever tasted. I spit it out. Yuck!:tongue: