Replies

• GarthBear
    GarthBear Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Hannah645
    Hannah645 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Season salt, pepper, and a little garlic. Squeeze some fresh lemon juice over top. Coat with panko (or other bread crumbs) and bake at about 375 for 20 minutes.The breading tends to stick so spray the pan with a nonstick cooking spray!

I also had a friend who put spicy cajun seasoning all over her tilapia fillets. I need to ask her what she uses. The great thing about tilapia though is that it's fairly plain. All kinds of seasonings give it good flavor.

I'm the same way as you. I've been a shellfish lover for years and am now venturing into adding more fish to my diet.
  • grinny1218
    Options
    bump
  • leahhugh
    leahhugh Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I dust with Old Bay or Cajun seasoning, then pan "fry" using cooking spray.

I did this with some cajun seasoning but I baked it, it was just as good and crunchy!
  • Nightingale77
    Nightingale77 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I pan-fry them in jerk sauce -- spicy and delicious!
  • jrbtsn
    jrbtsn Posts: 16
    Options
    bump...yum
  • goforkissy
    goforkissy Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Bumping!!
  • tsumm
    tsumm Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    bump
  • srd2b
    srd2b Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I actually marinate tilapia in a freezer bag with ff italian dressing & separately marinate red/yellow peppers in ff italian & crushed red pepper flakes (can marinate with the fish as well, but it's too hot for my young boys as they eat the fish). Place the tilapia on top the peppers in a baking pan & put in the oven. I flip my fish over halfway through (usually about 10 minutes or so). When finished, I sprinkle cilantro & parmesan cheese on top. My 2 young boys love the fish so this is a regular meal in our house.
  • iowatransplant
    iowatransplant Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • judykat7
    judykat7 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    A little bit of picante and a bit of cheese makes it deelish. Also can dust with taco seasoning. The great thing about mild fish is that it will readily take on whatever flavor you put with it.
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I dust with Old Bay or Cajun seasoning, then pan "fry" using cooking spray.

I pretty much do the same thing but use Lemon Pepper Seasoning and a little bit of Parsley & Lime Juice when it's halfway done cooking (when I flip it)
  • starcatcher1975
    starcatcher1975 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Love tilapia so I'm going to try some of these. I usually just buy the frozen breaded kind already which I really like but some of these ideas sound delicious :)
  • tmpayton
    tmpayton Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    not a fish fan so some of these might eating it better....
  • aross001
    aross001 Posts: 237
    Options
    Here's a quick, easy idea for you all: Drop a spoonful of pesto on each fillet and bake. Yum!

that sounds GREAT. I have some tilapia in the fridge that's going to get the pesto treatment tonight...

I also like to bake it with chopped fresh ginger, green onions, and a touch of honey
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    wrap in bacon and pan fry ..yum
  • paw247Pat
    Options
    bump
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Racheal Ray Tilapia

Ingredients
    • 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
    • 2 teaspoons paprika
    • 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
    • 4 tilapia fillets (about 1 pound total)
    • 1 lemon, cut into wedges
    Directions
    • Preheat the oven to 400 degrees . In a shallow dish, combine the cheese with the paprika and parsley and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle the fish with olive oil and dredge in the cheese mixture. Place on a foil-lined baking sheet and bake until the fish is opaque in the thickest part, 10 to 12 minutes. Serve the fish with the lemon wedges.

Spicy Tilapia

Ingredients
    • ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
    • 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
    • 1 teaspoon paprika
    • 1 teaspoon ginger
    • 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
    • 1 teaspoon dried mustard
    • 1 teaspoon chili powder
    • 1 pinch cayenne pepper
    • 4 tilapia filets, thawed
    Instructions
    1. Preheat oven to 400ºF. Line your baking sheet with parchment paper.
    2. In a medium-sized bowl combine olive oil, garlic and seasonings.
    3. Dip each filet into the seasoning and place it on the baking sheet.
    4. Pour any remaining seasoning over the filets on the sheet and place the baking sheet in the oven.
    5. Bake for 10 -12 minutes until fish flakes easily.

Blackened Grilled Tilapia

ingredients
    • 4-6 Tilapia
    • 2 Tbls. Paprika
    • 2 tsp salt
    • 2 tsp lemon pepper
    • 1.5 tsp garlic powder
    • 1.5 tsp ground red pepper
    • 1.5 tsp dried, crushed basil
    • 1 tsp onion powder
    • 1 tsp dried thyme
    • 1 cup unsalted butter, melted

Directions:
    Heat grill on high 5 minutes. Mix all seasonings in a bowl. Dip fillets in melted butter and coat with seasonings. Place fillets on mesh grill sheet and cook 2 minutes on each side.

____________________________________________________________________________

LO CAL DIJON CRUSTED TILAPIA

Ingredients
    • 3 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
    • 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
    • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
    • 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
    • 1 teaspoon horseradish
    • 4 tilapia fillets (5 ounces each)
    • 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
    • 2 teaspoons butter, melted
    Directions
    • In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon cheese, lemon juice, mustard and horseradish. Place fillets on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Spread mayonnaise mixture evenly over fillets.
    • In a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs, butter and remaining cheese; sprinkle over fillets.
    • Bake at 425° for 13-18 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Yield: 4 servings.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Crunchy Oven Fried Tilapia

Ingredients
    • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt
    • pepper
    • 2 egg whites
    • 1 pound tilapia fillets
    • 1/4 cup dried bread crumbs
    • 1/4 cup cornmeal
    • 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
    Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees Celsius).
    2. Sift or stir flour, salt, and pepper together in a shallow dish, and set aside. In a bowl, beat egg whites until white and frothy. In another bowl, combine bread crumbs with cornmeal and basil.
    3. To bread the fillets, dip first into flour, shaking off any excess, then into egg whites, then into bread crumb mixture.
    4. Spray a shallow baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Lay fillets flat in the dish, tucking under any thinner ends or edges for more even cooking. Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes, or until fish flakes easily with a folk.

____________________________________________________________________________

Tilapia with Caper Sauce

Yield: 2 servings (serving size: 1 fillet and 2 tablespoons sauce)

Ingredients
    • 3/4 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    • 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons drained brine-packed green peppercorns, lightly crushed
    • 1 teaspoon butter
    • 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
    • 2 (6-ounce) tilapia or sole fillets
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt
    • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    • 2 teaspoons butter
    • Lemon wedges (optional)

Preparation:
    Combine first 3 ingredients.
    Melt 1 teaspoon of butter with oil in a large nonstick skillet over low heat.
    While butter melts, sprinkle fish fillets with salt and black pepper. Place the flour in a shallow dish. Dredge fillets in flour; shake off excess flour.
    Increase heat to medium-high; heat 2 minutes or until butter turns golden brown. Add fillets to pan; sauté 3 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Remove fillets from pan. Add broth mixture to pan, scraping to loosen browned bits. Bring to a boil; cook until reduced to 1/2 cup (about 3 minutes). Remove from heat. Stir in two teaspoons of butter with a whisk. Serve sauce over fillets. Garnish with lemon wedges, if desired.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    bump
  • momof2_0710
    momof2_0710 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    bump