Asparagus

Options
KimmieBrie
KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
Tonight - making steak and fresh asparagus.... anything interesting I can do with the asparagus? I'm bored with the same ole same ole..... usually I just spray w I cant believe it's not butter and season.

Replies

• KacieHetrick
    KacieHetrick Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I drizzle it with olive oil and wrap it in turkey bacon, in sections of 3 spears. Yum! 1 piece of turkey bacon per 3 spears!
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    pull out a sheet of tin foil, lay down some EVOO, lay down the asparagus (after cutting off the ends), add generous amounts of dill and Mrs. Dash's original, add some minced garlic if you like. close the tin foil (i.e., you will need a big piece) and put it on the grill. YUMILICIOUS......I cook it until it melts in my mouth and the taste is AMAZING :)

sometimes I also add mushrooms or bean sprouts to the grill pack....but that's just a personal thing.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Bump... love asparagus!
  • sreeves200
    sreeves200 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I mix olive oil and fresh garlic and baste the asparagus with it. Then throw it on the grill using skewers.
  • blacktiemichael
    Options
    Saute it in a pan with a little bit of olive oil and season lightly with salt and pepper. Don't overcook...keep it a bit crunchy.
  • try2basunbeam
    Options
    I mix olive oil and fresh garlic and baste the asparagus with it. Then throw it on the grill using skewers.

ME, too! There is nothing like grilled asparagus. I used to put them on skewers but got so frustrated with them breaking or splitting, plus the smaller stallks are more tender, so I just grill them on a grill basket or flat tray and turn freguently. I have this garlic infused oil that I squirt on it. Super yummy!
  • shawnscott5
    shawnscott5 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    This is so bad, but is so good...find thick bottomed asparagus. Start at the top and wrap with a piece of bacon all the way to the bottom. Put a toothpick thru the end to hold the bacon on. Then put it on the BBQ before you put the rest of your meal on. It takes about 10 min longer to cook than most other foods you put on the BBQ.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    We broil it. Baste with olive oil, sprinkle salt and pepper on it.

Heat broiler.

On a baking sheet, baste the asparagus with the oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper to coat.
    Arrange the asparagus in a single layer and broil, shaking the baking sheet occasionally, until tender and slightly charred, 6 to 8 minutes.
  • rrrbecca11
    Options
    Lose the high cal bacon. :) Steam it for 5-8 minutes, then mix a little Smart Balance butter with equal amount of horseradish and toss it in that. OMG. Low calorie, low fat and delicious. Or even a little Smart Balance and lemon juice.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    This is so bad, but is so good...find thick bottomed asparagus. Start at the top and wrap with a piece of bacon all the way to the bottom. Put a toothpick thru the end to hold the bacon on. Then put it on the BBQ before you put the rest of your meal on. It takes about 10 min longer to cook than most other foods you put on the BBQ.

I saw this recipe on "Down Home with the Neelys" I loveeeeee this recipe! The only unhealthy is the fat and sodium but hey it is delicious!!!!
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteousreused
    Options
    If you have the grill fired up for steaks already, why not just grill the asparagus too? Wrap them in bacon and grill them up. They will be the bomb. And your pee will smell different after too.
  • LaurieEReid
    Options
    Roast it in a little olive oil with sliced almonds and cherry tomatoes.
  • gipperakh
    gipperakh Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    olive oil, minced garlic and parmesean!
  • nickymaire
    nickymaire Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    i hate cooked asparagus, but love it raw in a salad (pinenuts, cherry toms, parmesan and herbs), or by itself.
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Lose the high cal bacon. :) Steam it for 5-8 minutes, then mix a little Smart Balance butter with equal amount of horseradish and toss it in that. OMG. Low calorie, low fat and delicious. Or even a little Smart Balance and lemon juice.

Lemon juice... hmmm, maybe I'll try that with the sliced almonds. I don't have bacon in the house but that sounds good too!
    I'll be grilling the asparagus with the steaks - even though it's raining! Nothing beats a good grilled steak.
  • GouchisGirl
    GouchisGirl Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    You could top it with a skinny cheese sauce or skinny white sauce.....
    http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1725,152164-237204,00.html White sauce
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/light_cheese_sauce.html Cheese sauce
  • Barbarablw
    Barbarablw Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I cut the ends off wash them stick them in a pan and spinkle lemon pepper and Garlic Salt ............ vuala My hunny and kids looove it
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I like hollandaise sauce on mine.
  • htyoung
    Options
    I learned this when I worked in the restaurant industry. Be sure to cut off the woody ends of the asparagus. Sautee in a pan with a little extra virgin olive oil or smart balance butter. Be sure to season lightly with salt and pepper. Squeeze a fresh lime on top-be careful so you dont put too much. Keep the asapagus moving in the pan to get it cooked on all sides. Cook it till it is just a little crunch left. It shouldnt be mushy. Its great and low cal!
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Saute it in butter....add garlic....saute to your liking, shred fresh parmigiana cheese on it...throw it in the oven until cheese is melted :) I'm make it about 3 times a week cuz my boyfriend is obsessed!