Gym vs. Home Equipment...

Options
odusgolp
odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
I'm simply curious... what (if any) equipment you have at home, or do you stick to the gym for your workouts?

Replies

• blueimp
    blueimp Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I don't buy workout equipment for home anymore. It takes up a huge amount of space and I don't have much. In my home it turns into: furniture, clothes rack, dust collector. I work out at the gym most weekdays; I have DVDs at home.
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    OR do you have NIETHER like me? haha I have an old decrepid stationary bike at home (it gets used ONLY if there is no other option), and since the house is so teeny tiny more equiptment is not going to happen, otherwise since I have no gym closer than 25miles from home and work, my gym is the great outdoors. I walk the hill or the loop by my house depending. On rainy days I do the stairs. I time myself 5 minutes at a time and go up and down and up and down. It calls for a bit of creativity but I do what I can!
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I have.. A body Solid Home gym with 225lb stack. Olympic weight bench and iron. Calf Raise machine. Heavy Bag. EZ curl bar, dumbells from 2lbs- 45lb (working on rectifying this as soon as I find a deal on powerblocks). A jump rope, a tredmill, nordic track, and some nautilus machine that I bought in pieces and have yet to put together to see what it is! (I think its a pullover)

No rack/cage, so I require a gym to get serious.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I have weights and an ergo at home. Dh has a turbo trainer as well, but it's only for his bike. I don't use a gym.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I have a yoga mat and stability ball, some resistance bands and ankle weights. I only use them for physical therapy really. Or when I am just so strapped for time that I can't make it to the gym, but I really need to do *something*
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    i had an elliptical and used it 6 days a week for 18 months. it takes up so much space. now i power walk 3-5 miles a day and do intense dvds (like Jillian Michaels) when i'm not pregnant.
  • El_Rapido
    Options
    I'm not a fan of gyms, I just do strength training at home to supplement my running, and I've only really started with the strength training, all I have is 3 pairs of dumbells, a pull up bar and some push up stands. It is more than sufficient for me now but I know I might have to get bigger stuff or join a gym as I progress.

I get most of my info and advice from here... http://www.dumbbell-exercises.com/workout-routines/index.html#1

And here... http://scoobysworkshop.com/
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I only have dumbbells up to 30 lbs, a pull up bar, one 15lb kettlebell and some random resistance bands. We'll eventually get more but weights are more expensive than I realized. Almost a dollar per lb, which adds up when you are trying to buy heavier weights!

But - I do think it will save us money in the long run. Gym memberships around here are really expensive.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I sold all my home workout equipment except a yoga mat and a step, I use the step to practice my group class routines. If I had my way I'd have a weight room, and someday when I win the lottery I just may . . . but then again I like the morning guys at the gym.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Smith machine, incline/decline bench, pull-up tower, dumbbell set, olympic bar, curl bar, plates.

Also have an elliptical and a trainer for my bike, if you're asking about cardio stuff too.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    i have a set of 5lb weights (for a video i never did) and a stability ball. i prefer the gym because i get too distracted by other things (cleaning, tv, internets) if i try to workout at home.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I have a good quality elliptical machine which I'll be giving away to a charity ... I have a fitness club membership, and (being an extrovert) much prefer being around other people when I exercise.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill but stick to the gym.
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I used to have a treadmill - I used it all the time - average every other day. Our house now there isn't really extra room for one - I don't like heavy equip on anything above ground floor level.

I prefer outdoors but have a gym membership by work and am joining another by home since the winter is coming...
    I have small free weights at home I use if sitting by the TV.

If we moved somewhere with the floor space for it - I would definitely get another treadmill. I know both my husband and I would use it.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Who needs equipment? Well, except maybe a pull-up bar. You'd be amazed at how much strength training you can actually do without ever lifting a single barbell.
  • Vonnie2006
    Vonnie2006 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill and will be getting an elliptical for Christmas.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill and will be getting an elliptical for Christmas.

Vonnie??? WW Vonnie??
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Who needs equipment? Well, except maybe a pull-up bar. You'd be amazed at how much strength training you can actually do without ever lifting a single barbell.
    depends how strong you are and what part of the body you are working. How are you going to really train your legs without some form of resistance?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    power rack
    olympic bar
    plates
    bumper plates
    treadmill
    bike trainer
    powerblock adjustable dumbbells (5-90 lbs)

pretty much a complete gym
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    An elliptical in my bedroom in front of the TV -- great for rainy days. I desperately hate the gym and mostly use it for weights only. I'd rather do cardio outside or at home.

I also have some free weights and a balance ball. And DVDs, of course.