Gym vs. Home Equipment...

Options

Replies

• bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    All I have is a yoga mat, hand weights, and a bunch of workout DVDs. I eventually would like to get one of those small Arc Trainers or gazelles as I've had foot surgery and cannot do high-impact (running, etc) workouts.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Who needs equipment? Well, except maybe a pull-up bar. You'd be amazed at how much strength training you can actually do without ever lifting a single barbell.
    depends how strong you are and what part of the body you are working. How are you going to really train your legs without some form of resistance?

How did people do it before all this fancy gym equipment?
  • StabbyParks
    StabbyParks Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Over the years I've found that I can come up with every excuse not to go to the gym. Excuses are limited with home equipment staring at me quietly from the corner of my living room. I have a treadmill and a Total Gym because let's get serious... nobody is more badass than Chuck Norris.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Over the years I've found that I can come up with every excuse not to go to the gym. Excuses are limited with home equipment staring at me quietly from the corner of my living room. I have a treadmill and a Total Gym because let's get serious... nobody is more badass than Chuck Norris.

*snort* That was awesome.
  • randompatch
    randompatch Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I split my workouts about 50/50 between the gym and staying in. I use a Gazelle Elite and DVDs for at home workouts (Biggest Loser Cardio and Biggest Loser Power Sculpt) as well as outdoor physical activity on the weekends.
  • oneIT
    oneIT Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Dumbells and pull up bar when i was doing P90x. I just joined a gym a few weeks ago (first gym memebership) and I love it. It might have something to with getting out of the house too in my current situation.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Who needs equipment? Well, except maybe a pull-up bar. You'd be amazed at how much strength training you can actually do without ever lifting a single barbell.
    depends how strong you are and what part of the body you are working. How are you going to really train your legs without some form of resistance?

By carrying the buffalo back to the cave.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    True HRC 550 Treadmill
    Parabody gym
    Wii Fit
    Various barbie bells (this is what DH calls my dumb bells)
    Powerblock dumb bells
    LOTS of DVD's
    yoga mats
    stepper (from the old buns of steel VHS tapes)
    Exercise Bands
    Exercise Ball

I probably have more that I'm forgetting
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    I'm simply curious... what (if any) equipment you have at home, or do you stick to the gym for your workouts?

Exercise bike,
    Power Cage
    300 pound Olympic weight set
    2 adjustable benches
    Leg Extension/Curl attachment
    Powerblock Dumbell set
    Several metal dumbells from 20-35 pounds
    2 Kettlebells
    Pulldown/Seated Row machine
    Probably other stuff I am forgetting.

Forgotten stuff:

Pull-up bar outside, removable one inside in door (would like to put in a permanent one in my workout area, dip station (not currently set up at the wall it was attached to is no longer there and I am not sure where to put it, 3 stability balls, push-up handles, various resistance straps.
  • breyn2004
    breyn2004 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    We joined the gym for a few months and did well with it and then life slowly, but surely started to get in the way. Last year (after many wasted months of a gym membership) we made the decision to buy equipment for the house.....weight bench, weights, elliptical and a balance ball. It has been way more convenient having in the house and just be able to pop in the spare room and work out whenever I had time rather than try to plan a time and get to the gym.
  • rml_16
    Options
    All I have is a yoga mat, hand weights, and a bunch of workout DVDs. I eventually would like to get one of those small Arc Trainers or gazelles as I've had foot surgery and cannot do high-impact (running, etc) workouts.

Clearly, I do not know how to post a photo in this place!

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o125/rml_16/Nunchucks.jpg
  • rileysowner
    Options

While I have a bunch of equipment, most of my workouts are bodyweight only.
  • breyn2004
    breyn2004 Posts: 162 Member
    Options

Haha! LOVE IT!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

In order to see results I'd have to be lifting my TV and various pieces of furniture if I didn't have weights to work with.
  • rml_16
    Options

By carrying the buffalo back to the cave.

So why do you need a gym or special equipment to mimic that? Just pick up something heavy.
  • Teksavvy
    Teksavvy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Elliptical for cardio and various dumbbells for weight training.
  • Begood03
    Begood03 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym, because seeing other people working out keeps me motivated.
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Equipment:
    Gazelle (i hate this thing)
    10 lb Kettle Bell
    30 lb adjustable Weight
    11 lb barbel
    5 lb barbel

Dvds:
    30 DS
    Tae Bo
    Brazilian Butt lift
    Chalean Extreme

I dont use any of the above.... I usually get on the Elliptical at the gym, Zumba at the gym, weights at the gym, Rollerblading and walking.

I've discovered I enjoy the outdoors and if I don't leave my house I will probably do Nada... :laugh:
  • rocketpants
    rocketpants Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I have dumbells, pullup bar, perfect pushups, and an elliptical in my basement. I do all my resistance training at home. 90% of my cardio I do outside.

I tolerate that basement gym and love the outdoors
  • rileysowner
    Options

To the best of my knowledge gymnasts, who in my opinion have amazing bodies, use no weights in their training. It is all bodyweight and working on the apparatus that they use. Nothing more. I could be wrong about that. I also know that according to Mark Lauren (an retired trainer for Navy Seals IIRC) their main modality for exercise is bodyweight. Of course their strength is built up further by the work they do dragging boats in and out of the water and the like, but you can achieve the same thing with something really inexpensive like sand bags. Where weights excel is that it is often easier and requires less creativity and skill to build strength. I only do bodyweight, but I have nothing against weights as you can see by the list of stuff I have. I just choose not to use them right now. I will use them again I am sure since I have them.

In order to see results I'd have to be lifting my TV and various pieces of furniture if I didn't have weights to work with.