Anyone else that with an illness trying to get this done?

Options
13»

Replies

• Sue_Smiles
    Sue_Smiles Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Nette_54
    Nette_54 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I am an epileptic, I also have a genetic heart condition WPW syndrome, I also have arthritis in my right leg so my hip is bone on bone, 2 bulging discs, I also damaged my right leg in a fall. I am a walking pill bottle lol. I also have to use either a walking stick for short trips or a wheelie walker which I hate.

All that said I know there are so many people in the world with bigger problems than me so I keep smiling and laughing while trying to lose the weight the best way I can. I was also one of those people who under ate so gained more weight, now I am eating more I am starting to lose the weight
  • debs6
    debs6 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    My chronic disease is Crohn's Disease and I also suffer from chronic Migraine - which is really the family curse as it runs strongly in my family. Crohn's is also considered an autoimmune disease with manifestations mainly in the gut - but also causes inflammation in many parts of the body causing arthritis, and a multitude of other symptoms. I have also run the steroid race - and am just thankful that I a am currently in remission brought about by medication. Migraine is a different story
  • 4afitCarey
    Options
    Thank you all so much for sharing your struggles. I think their is always great comfort and inspiration in knowing you are not alone when you struggle. Reading all of your posts have given me strength and determination to really dig in and continue this journey. I always welcome new friends and hope that I can help anyone who needs it. Good luck every one!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure we are dealing with the same things - but I have steel rods in my spine, degenerative disc disease and a bulging disc. So, I am in pain EVERYDAY (most of the pain is severe arthritis pain - but there is quite a bit of pain from the disc issue too). Some days are better than other days, but as a rule - everyday there is pain. Sometimes it is so incredibly difficult to get out of bed and go to work - let alone workout or care about what I'm eating.

It is a constant struggle and one that I wish I knew the answer on how to make it better. Just know you aren't alone.
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't doubt I have many illnesses but i refused to seek medical advice lol, I would rather not know about such things or to be given more medication.. I've had Type 1 Diabetes since I was 8... That's enough for me :( Lol

I have avoided doctors for years, and just tried to take good care of myself. I've lost 59 pounds on mfp, but stalled several months ago. Diagnosed with a blood clot in August. They tried to do a biopsy on my in Oct., but my heart went into Afib. In Nov. I was diagnosed with cancer. I had surgery last week. I am determined to beat all this, jump back on the exercise/weight loss trail and continue my progress just as soon as I get the thumbs up from my doctor. I dont see this as a diet, but a pursuit of healthy living.
  • butterflimom
    Options
    I struggle with depression, big time. I also have been diagnosed with bi-polar many years back, but take no medication for either. I suffer from chronic pains in my joints, back, and neck from a horrible car accident that happened to me in 1999. I was in a wheelchair for almost 6 months. I still don't walk or run correctly, nor can I sit or lay still for long periods of time. I have also been informally diagnosed this past May with PCOS by my doctor. I tried the medication for that at couldn't handle metformin. I recently went in for stomach issues, my doctor is thinking a stomach ulcer, but we're not sure what it is yet. There are days that my stomach kills me with pain and I am so sick and cannot eat much of anything...

Everyday is different for me and I never know if I will wake up in horrific pains or with depressive thoughts....My husband and kids are what keep me going. Losing weight, even though it has been a slow journey is helping me feel better mentally and emotionally.
  • scoutmom49
    scoutmom49 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    just trying to make light of things but I have a soon to be EX husband so I gues I am in recovery.
  • seanchai
    Options
    Slight thread necromancy but this seemed a good thread to chip in on.

I have spastic diplegic cerebral palsy and severe rheumatoid arthritis. Weighed 99 lbs soaking wet (5'0" "unfolded', as compared to about 3'0" in my manual wheelchair ;) ) till I went to college, and promptly put on a ridiculous amount of weight considering there's nowhere to put it! After leaving college for medical and accessibility reasons, I took about 2 years to get down to about 130, which I was fairly happy with. Ten years later, after about a year of dealing with insane levels of spasticity and joint pain, I got myself balanced on a scale and went "what the heck happened?!"

It's hard to know how much of my weight is *weight* because a lot of my meds cause me to retain a truly painful amount of fluid, but let's just say that even while taking (doctor prescribed) lasix, my weight is completely unacceptable... and I'm still trying to figure out exactly how I managed to put so much on so quickly - neither my activity level nor my eating habits have changed since I got back on track for the first round of weight loss. (Barring college, my eating habits have always been healthy anyway - thank you, mom, for telling me vegetables were just "special candy" when I was young and impressionable! Thanks to her, I don't tend to have the cravings others have, and am likelier to grab some raw broccoli or steam some spinach than to go for the junk food). I've had an incredibly stressful few years so some of it might just be all the cortisol my body's pumping out... and the meds, of course.... and generally aging with two conditions that beat the heck out of the body.

Regardless, I refuse to live the rest of my life at the level of mobility I've got right now - I was a huge wheelchair athlete from age 4 through high school, and while a combination of lack of any wheelchair sports teams and joint damage from RA has pretty much closed the door on that for me, I am still way too independent to be okay with this "I can't bend my leg to get my trousers on" and "I'm out of breath from crossing the room" business... I worked too hard to get those abilities in the first place, so I'm not giving them up. Might take me another two years to drop the weight again (I'm heavier now than I was in college, somehow), and of course, the rest of my life to maintain it, but I'm in for the long haul. Prednisone et al can kiss my butt.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I have microcytic anemia that leaves me feeling weak, exhausted, and very prone to sun sickness (nausea, dizziness, fainting, and extreme fatigue). The majority of my workouts have to be indoors, either at home or at the gym, or outside in the evening when the sun is setting. I've been getting iron injections for the past 6 years, and all I want to do after the shots is sleep. :P
  • paulyarwooduk
    Options
    I have rhuematoid arthritis and have had since I was 14.

My weight piled on once I left school and got a job. I went to WW and lost lots of weight but it didn't stay off. As I have got older the pains I suffer have worsened. The pains stop me from doing anything most days not even housework and this makes me sad which has lead to depression. Hence the cycle.

I started here on MFP and you guys are all so encouraging that I have managed to break that cycle. I exercise now which I have never done...ever...and yes it is hard and yes it hurts me so badly. I do Jillian Michael's 30 day shred which is a real killer but it allows me to do as much as I can cope with doing and in the comfort of my own living room.

I'm about half way to my goal now but already I can feel myself getting stronger and this lifts my spirit which helps to quash the depression. I do get regular 'flare-ups' where the pain is so incredible that I can do nothing but cry. The way I look at it is that even though what I have is really bad, there are so many others out there who are experiencing much worse than me, (like some I've read on this thread), but are accomplishing so much more. When I look at it like this how can I possibly find an excuse not exercise and lose weight?

Thank you for starting this thread it's actually so encouraging for me knowing that I'm not alone :smile:

Paul x
  • jrsb511
    jrsb511 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I Have Lyme Disease, which in turn killed my thyroid and also gave me Fibromyalgia. I too have alot of pain some dayswhich makes it hard to do anything.
    I have started to do walking and some weigh training but it's extremely hard most days.
    It's good to see others who have similar difficulties.
  • iana_cass
    iana_cass Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Type 1 Diabetes for over 20 years, Hypothyroidism for the same length of time.

I'm a mom of 4 and a homeschooler too, do those count? lol Seems like I never get out of the house for exercise but plan to start taking the kids for walks for PE!
  • Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options

My weight piled on once I left school and got a job. I went to WW and lost lots of weight but it didn't stay off. As I have got older the pains I suffer have worsened. The pains stop me from doing anything most days not even housework and this makes me sad which has lead to depression. Hence the cycle.

I started here on MFP and you guys are all so encouraging that I have managed to break that cycle. I exercise now which I have never done...ever...and yes it is hard and yes it hurts me so badly. I do Jillian Michael's 30 day shred which is a real killer but it allows me to do as much as I can cope with doing and in the comfort of my own living room.

I'm about half way to my goal now but already I can feel myself getting stronger and this lifts my spirit which helps to quash the depression. I do get regular 'flare-ups' where the pain is so incredible that I can do nothing but cry. The way I look at it is that even though what I have is really bad, there are so many others out there who are experiencing much worse than me, (like some I've read on this thread), but are accomplishing so much more. When I look at it like this how can I possibly find an excuse not exercise and lose weight?

Thank you for starting this thread it's actually so encouraging for me knowing that I'm not alone :smile:

Paul x

I can't imagine being in that much pain, so it must be hard to have that and still exercise eating control. Are you able to exercise much? I can relate to the depression. I had lost 4 stones and was at my goal weight in 2005, then I got hit with severe depression out of the blue, and it all piled back on as I worked for 4 years getting back to strength. I am now through it for the most part, but when you're low everything seems like a chore so you'd go for the quickest option for food. I admire you for going on this journey. Use your mfp friends to be there for you when things get rough, PM me whenever :)

Fran
  • paulyarwooduk
    Options

Paul x

I can't imagine being in that much pain, so it must be hard to have that and still exercise eating control. Are you able to exercise much? I can relate to the depression. I had lost 4 stones and was at my goal weight in 2005, then I got hit with severe depression out of the blue, and it all piled back on as I worked for 4 years getting back to strength. I am now through it for the most part, but when you're low everything seems like a chore so you'd go for the quickest option for food. I admire you for going on this journey. Use your mfp friends to be there for you when things get rough, PM me whenever :)

Fran

Thanks Fran it's friends like you that help me to keep going :flowerforyou:

Paul x
  • blonde20fan
    blonde20fan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have Pulmonary Hypertension. It's a chronic disease that is sometimes terminal. I have a central line in my chest that give me a medicine 24/7 called Flolan. I am losing weight so that when the time comes (this disease is progressive) I qualify for a double lung transplant.