Is 1200 calories a day enough??

Options

Replies

• psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    It really just depends on what and how often you eat. I eat about 900-950 a day and run 3-5 miles in the morning and do 30-60 min of crosstraining in the evening. It's enough for me and I'm 170. I don't snack, though.

Good grief, how do you survive on 900 calories a day. I've had that many calories by lunchtime
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    It really just depends on what and how often you eat. I eat about 900-950 a day and run 3-5 miles in the morning and do 30-60 min of crosstraining in the evening. It's enough for me and I'm 170. I don't snack, though.

That just seems so unhealthy to me.

I have lost a lot of weight and I can tell you that when you set your calorie deficit so low that this weight loss thing feels very diet like. I don't want to feel as if I am on a diet. I want to feel as though I can still enjoy my life.

I'd suggest upping your calories to at least 1400/1600 and see where you are. Most people eat far more than that before they really start paying attention to exactly what they put in their mouth.

Agree with above! Not enough food to fuel your body..You can lose weight and eat:-) Good Luck and good health 2 you.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    No, and MFP recommend 1 lb per week, so you might want to reconsider your timeline. But good luck either way.

You can do this!
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    2lb a week is not a sensible goal for someone your weight.

You'll probably find you lose just as much if not more on a lesser goal, as you won't be tired and cranky, and your body won't start to slow down.
    Sure one can eat 1200 a day, but if their underfueling means they burn 400cal less a day in incidental exercise, then they're no better off than eating 1600.
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    no, it is not!!!
  • IamDCGuru
    IamDCGuru Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    @ pounds a week is a really agressive goal and 1200 calories is crazy low especially if your working out. I almost eat that at one meal lol. If your eating clean then you can eat more calories. You need calories for energy. Test it and see how you feel and if you feel sluggish or tired add more calories. Make sure you get enough protein and eat lots of veggies. You will feel full longer and want to eat less.
  • sugarfairy9
    sugarfairy9 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    MFP has told me that i should be aiming for 1200 calories but am struggling to eat that much, MFP has told me i am in starvation mode.

i currently eight 168lbs but would like to get down to 147 - losing about 1 lb aweek.

i also go to the gym 3 nights a week for an hour at a time.

any advice
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I'm 162 lbs and I have mine set to 1448, which is my BMR. I don't necessarily eat back my exercise calories but my days may vary from 1400-1600 calories eaten each day. I just try to keep it under 1800 calories eaten as a goal depending on how active I've been.
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I eat 1500 cals a day and still I am sometimes very hungry. I do a lot of exercise, though. 1200 + exercise cals sounds more sustainable, although be careful with the estimated calorie burns mfp gives you, because I found they can be quite high.

Good luck.

GG
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    MFP has told me that i should be aiming for 1200 calories but am struggling to eat that much, MFP has told me i am in starvation mode.

i currently eight 168lbs but would like to get down to 147 - losing about 1 lb aweek.

any advice

Women should not eat any less than 1200 calories each day. That is the minimum needed just for basic bodily functions, so if you are exercising that means you need even more calories. You should probably be eating at least 1400 on non exercise days and up to 1800 on exercise days depending on how many calories you burn.
  • Alexdur85
    Alexdur85 Posts: 255 Member
    Options

any advice

Try eating more calorie dense food like peanut butter and avocados
  • nishababy77
    nishababy77 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Well, im 4'11 and weigh 117pounds...im trying to lose an additonal 7 pounds to be at my personal goal. My target is 1200 a day and i really struggle. I burn about 500 cal a day, and eat roughly half my exercise calories back. You seriously need to think about everything you eat.....Most days i think, this just isnt enough but im trying as MFP suggest but also because im soo tiny i kinda think well maybe i shouldnt be eating more than that.
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Options
    That is quite low particularly when you are looking to lose only 20lbs. 2lbs a week is better for those who have 60+ lbs to lose.

I would readjust your settings to account for 1lb a week (or a 1/2 lbs). You have to ''fuel the fire''. It would negate alot of your hard work and makes muscles gain near impossible in a deficit.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    If you're only trying to lose 20 pounds, 2 pounds a week is way too much. You should be aiming for 1 pound a week.

This. Or even a half pound.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    1200 should be fine for you, just make sure to eat your exercise calories. You may need to increase or make sure you NET 1200 the closer you get to your goal - or maybe even now. Test it out, if you lose, great. Once you stop, increase.
  • sc1234
    sc1234 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    1200 NET is perfect for me, you can see NET calories on your home page, so often that means I'm eating 1500 - 1600 if I work out. I'm 5'5 and now 132 lbs and I've found if I keep the NET calories between 1200 - 1330 a day, I lose about a pound a week and it's perfect. Not too hungry, just satisfied and still losing a healthy amount. My diary is open so feel free to take a look for ideas.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I was eating 1200 calories plus exercise calories and I lost 16lbs. Now I've hit a plateu and have been very hungry lately. I've upped my cals for myself to 1400 without exercise and plan on eating my exercise cals back. You have to eat to lose!

smart woman! :)
  • gansell
    Options
    what a fool! you'l really damage yourself doing that!
  • SuperWoman120
    Options
    i joined to go from 145 to 120, and to lose 1.5 to 2 lbs/week it said to eat 1200, I decided to stick with 1 lb/week and eating 1270 calories, but yesterday I recalculated it and it gave me 1210 calories, and since I am only 15 lbs from my goal and want to lose it by May, I switched to losing 1/2 a lb/week and it gave me 1460 calories. I think it will be better because then when I reach my goal weight, I won't be as tempted to binge. 1200 isn't dangerously low, just hard to stick to sometimes
  • SaishaLea
    SaishaLea Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I have been eating 1200 calories a day...I have lost 28 lbs in the past two months.
    I eat a ton of veggies so I feel full.