Going to the Gym with a stuffy nose?

Options
Should you go to the gym when your semi sick? I've got a stuffy nose and have been sneezing a lot. Should I stay home and relax or can I go to the gym?? What are your thoughts on this?!?!

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Sure I do all the time. Just don't sneeze on anyone or the machines or you might get dirty looks xD
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    If you feel up to it, go.
  • LelliAmi
    LelliAmi Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    yeah. just take some otrivin and drink some green tea with lemon, honey and ginger afterward to avoid getting more sick.
  • nalliebell
    nalliebell Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    hi there, I personally only DON'T workout when I have a fever. I have worked out with cough and sneezy nose. Listen to your body, take care xoxo
  • Alexdur85
    Alexdur85 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    All we ask is you sanitize the machines.. please!
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I stay home and get the rest, pIus I don't wanna be a jerk and get someone eIse sick
  • rlysrh
    rlysrh Posts: 244
    Options
    I had a blocked nose and kept sneezing a couple of weeks ago so I skipped going to the gym for the weekend. I felt like I was just making up excuses but looking back I think I did the right thing. I'd have been tired as soon as I set foot on a machine, and I'd be out of breath 5 times as fast if I couldn't breath through my nose. Also you don't want to spread germs.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    a stuffy nose can hang on long after you're past being contagious. I say suck it up, buttercup!
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    I've been congested since Sunday and I've done weights, cardio, and yoga--all of it makes me feel better. Try a neti pot, too--those suckers really work!
  • sarahnicole218
    Options
    If it's just a minor symptom...go for it! I find that working our often helps me feel better and help fight other cold symptoms. Of course, thoroughly wipe down any machines you use and don't push yourself too hard!
  • Gabriall
    Gabriall Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I do .. and if I hit it right basically work it out nicely.... but if your achie and its gone beyound just a couple of sneezes and a blocked nose.. take it easy the energy you use in the gym your body may need to start up the healing process and if you use it in the gym you may well just extend your illness.

judgment call :) I had a stuffy nose couple weeks ago and successfully beat it to death.
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    The rule of thumb is that anything above the neck is fine, but below the neck, stay home.
    I prefer to run out my viruses and I don't get sick often. If you have lung or stomach issues, do not exercise. Since it is just a nose thing---some sweat will do you good. HOWEVER, if you have a fever you are contagious, so stay home.
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    .......yah, and pass your sh!tty germs to everyone else.......

Just another reason to NOT go to the gym.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Usually makes me feel a bunch better. It's harder to get out the door when you're feeling a bit congested, but working out really will make you feel 110% better.
    If you have a cough though, stay home.
    Please, make sure to well sanitize the machines you use.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you wipe down the eqpt properly to not x-infect... if you have symptoms below the neck... so chest infections, for your own good its best to rest up and probs see your doc too. :) Hope that helps. x
  • Gabriall
    Gabriall Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    The rule of thumb is that anything above the neck is fine, but below the neck, stay home.

THAT was the thing I was trying to remember :)
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I stay home and get the rest, pIus I don't wanna be a jerk and get someone eIse sick
    i was just thinking this myself!
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who have said, "if you feel up to it, go." I get my exercise outside rather than in a gym. The only thing I change is that if I'm unwell, I don't exercise in the rain. When I'm well, I go outside and get my exercise regardless of the weather. If I'm a little sick, I do find it slows me down, and I don't push myself too much. I try to put in the same amount of effort rather than putting in more effort to get the same result. I might end up doing a brisk walk instead of jogging, and cycle slower than I otherwise would, but that's okay.
  • WillieEverlearn
    WillieEverlearn Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    This is why you wipe down the machines/equipment after you use them.

Also why you should wipe them down BEFORE you use them. Because there will always be people who aren't good wipers. And invariably, they will be the ones who used the machine right before you.
  • thunt1990
    thunt1990 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I do it everytime im sick unless i feel really exhausted. My policy is to go in the gym and sweat out all those germs. Works for me and makes my colds only last a few days. Just make sure to use the sanitizer :) Feel better