Going to the Gym with a stuffy nose?

Options

Replies

• auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Just read an article about how LIGHT EXERCISE increase the immune system.

The key they said was NOT to increase your heart rate significantly.
    So a little stretching or light weight work would be good, but not a day to go full tilt.

Plus:
    don't ... be a jerk and get someone eIse sick.
    Maybe some stretching at home, if you do go to the gym remember to use the sanitizer on anything you touch.

Oh, and feel better :flowerforyou:
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Yep! It'll help you! If it's in the chest, take time to rest. If it's in your head, go ahead! That's the rule, ideally. If you can't function, then leave. At least you tried. I usually don't run when I'm stuffy, 'cause the impact hurts my head, but you can always try.
  • Freshstart07
    Freshstart07 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    no you shouldn't go to the gym but you should still get out and expercise if you can. Run around the block walk up and down stairs in a building but be considerate of others. You wouldn't want to catch a cold at the gym from someone else would you? I know you not thinking of it as a you over them deal and your thing that if you are careful it won't effect others but the truth is it might.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I stay home and get the rest, pIus I don't wanna be a jerk and get someone eIse sick
    i was just thinking this myself!
    this!

LOTS of options to workout at home, outdoors etc. Weights, running in place if it's too icy outside. Run the steps, pop in a video...

The last thing any of us need is to get sick from another member.

Or at the least do as many have shared, REALLY be courteous about cleaning down those machines, more than you typically would on a workout session.

Personally I believe in rest and keeping it at home... so much can be done at home if you're not able to get the gym at other times, give it a shot!:wink::drinker:
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    If you don't feel bad and don't have a fever but are only congested then definitely go, something about moving actually makes that crap start breaking up and you'll be able to breathe better not too far into your workout.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I stay home and get the rest, pIus I don't wanna be a jerk and get someone eIse sick

^This.
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    STAY HOME.

Because when people go anyway - to the gym, to work, etc - people like ME get sick (like right now). Hmph.
  • msjamartin
    Options
    There are so many stages to colds. Usually I have a day or two that I'm useless (those are stay at home days/take sick days etc) but when I get to the point that I feel fine but simply have that left-over crud I "ignore" it and keep everything normal. I carry sanitized hand cleanser, I sanitize machines and I workout in a corner (if there is one). Last cold I found that I was able to get over it faster than in the past. Whether due to my new health or due to working out or what but other than a lazy weekend I was able to keep my schedule normal.
  • directorj
    directorj Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I carry a hand sanitizer to the gym because of sick people. I say just take a break and enjoy a few days off
  • marz31
    marz31 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Yep! It'll help you! If it's in the chest, take time to rest. If it's in your head, go ahead! That's the rule, ideally. If you can't function, then leave. At least you tried. I usually don't run when I'm stuffy, 'cause the impact hurts my head, but you can always try.

This is what I live by. a fever keeps me home for sure, but if it's just a head cold, if I feel up to it, I'm there.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Would you appreciate someone coming to the gym and working out next to you, touching the weights when sick? Stay home and get better. That is all.
  • ChrisStoney
    ChrisStoney Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    That is why I like my gym at work, only a few people actually use it... but it is still pretty gross if you really start thinking about germs...
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    Just a stuffy nose, you should go, you paid your dues :)
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I actually can't stand when people with colds are near me, especially in places like a gym (but I don't go to the gym lol). I had a VERY weak immune system. I would catch colds like every month, even in the summer time when it was over 30 degrees out (Celsius for you Americans who think everything is in Fahrenheit). But now that I'm healthier I don't get full out sick :) But it still bothers me when sick people are near me.

But if you're up for it def do some sort of workout. I found that running or doing a workout DVD helped clear my nose for a little bit.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Yes, rule of thumb is as long as your sickness is above your chest, it's ok to work out -- if it's in your chest, you should listen to your body and give it a rest for a day or two.
  • ehunte
    ehunte Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    As long as your nose isn't doing more running than you - go!
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I'd go. I always go. Since I probably got infected there, I want to return the favor. Often times I feel better when I leave the gym. Clears up my sinuses.
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Hmm, my stuffy noses get cleared out better when I work out than with any medication. Just make sure to wipe down your machines and all that courteous stuff.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

^This.

This. I wouldn't be happy with you if you made me sick.
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    I cant stand to see people who that are a "little sick with a stuffy nose" that come to the gym and put their germy hands all over the equipment ...usually not ever wiping them off after use...you come in and cough and or breathe all over the well ones.....

you dont think you are contagious but you are not really sure.....do the rest of us a favor..STAY HOME..PLEASE!

all of you who said go to the gym...please think about it and give the rest of us a break and stay home...you are not going to wither away if you dont go for a couple of days...

STAY HOME!