Do you still eat carbs

Options
i always hear from a lot of people on diets that they completely banish carbs from their diet but why is this. Is it impossible to loose weight and still eat carbs?? Xx

Replies

• engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i eat carbs.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I love carbs and eat them.

People use a carb free/low carb diet because it's an easy way to cut out calories.
  • jagoochie
    jagoochie Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    u need carbs for energy - plus you burn calories converting carbs in t eh body - so 300cals of carbs = 270 cals stored, but fat and protien will be 300 cals and 300 cals stored, so always better to be up on carb sthan anything else
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I dropped 34 pounds and went from a tight size 12 to a comfy size 6 eating carbs all the way (edited to add I did this in three months).

I limit simple carbs and concentrate on whole grains, fruits and veggies, etc. as my main sources. But I don't deliberately limit them.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I <3 Carbs
  • bettinamason
    Options
    I just read a great book called Wheat Belly. A cardiologist wrote it about the benefits of cutting wheat and gluten from your diet. It was very interesting.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    i always hear from a lot of people on diets that they completely banish carbs from their diet but why is this. Is it impossible to loose weight and still eat carbs?? Xx

why is it? People are falsely lead to beleive that low carb diets have a metabolic advantage. Also some find higher fat and protein more satiating then carbs and easier to adhere to their diets. And sometimes people have a metabolic disorder and have to go lowish carb

but no you don't have to banish carbs from your diet to lose weight
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of carbs and I eat a lot of simple carbs too. Some of them are even white.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    It's kind of impossible to banish carbs completely to zero.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I had a dream that one day that white carbs and brown carbs, simple and complex were enjoyed together in perfect harmony and moderation. The only foods that should be discriminated against are the ones that taste bad :)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Of course - while there are many vocal low-carbers here, there are plenty of us who don't have a problem with them.
    Unless you have a specific medical need to avoid carbs - they aren't going to hurt you!
  • therealkittymao
    therealkittymao Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I've gone on South Beach before (a low carb diet) and I did lose some but then I gained it back. I just MISSED carbs so much! I have had success this time around with just keeping calories down and exercising with weights. Go ahead and eat your carbs! Just make sure that you are eating whole grains, and lots of low calorie healthy foods, and you'll do great!
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I love carbs! I eat steel-cut oats every single morning, and fruits/veggies make my body happy. I can't imagine cutting them out.
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I had a dream that one day that white carbs and brown carbs, simple and complex were enjoyed together in perfect harmony and moderation. The only foods that should be discriminated against are the ones that taste bad :)

Haha, I love this! So true.
  • jkuhn71
    jkuhn71 Posts: 199
    Options

:heart: this!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I :heart: carbs and just had an English Muffin with Nutella. Regularly have bagels, potatoes, pizza, pasta, rice, bread...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I :heart: carbs and just had an English Muffin with Nutella. Regularly have bagels, potatoes, pizza, pasta, rice, bread...
    I had pizza last night.

From Papa John's. Not even made in my own kitchen or anything! And on white dough! :-)

As I said, I limit my simple carbs just because I want the most bang for my nutritional buck. But I haven't banished them. I even have cake sometimes, though I prefer the cake with cheese in front of it.
  • lemonadem
    lemonadem Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I do, I enjoy carbs
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I love my white bread and my instant rice LOL. I have PCOS and I really should eat low carbs but my life is more enjoyable when I can eat carbs.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation.....and this isn't a diet, this is a lifestyle change! :wink: