Do you still eat carbs

Options

Replies

• sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I personally dont lose as much (or at all) when I eat a high carb low cal diet...but that is just me.. everyone is different...
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation.....and this isn't a diet, this is a lifestyle change! :wink:

This ^ I had a whole wheat bagel for breakfast! No carbs for me = HUNGRY and lethargic.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I've done Atkins before and have done far, far better on just counting calories/getting off my butt and moving. In retrospect, I think that I just liked bacon and not exercising? I did loose about 15lbs but immediately gained it all back, plus some. Oops. It was a learning experience.

I love carbs..... carby carb carbs. Potatoes, bread and sugar, oh my. :)
  • loombeav
    loombeav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I eat carbs and enjoy them, I do choose complex carbs when available. For me it's about balance and moderation. In order for my weight loss to be successful and maintained I have to follow a diet that fits in my lifestyle and is sustainable.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • Segrande
    Options
    I adore carbs and eat a ton of it everyday. Doesn't seem to have hindered my progress at all! :3
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Heck yes! The good ones and the bad ones (in moderation of course). I love me some carbs!
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Yes I them eat up! MMMM Can't live without them!! YUM!!
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I had a dream that one day that white carbs and brown carbs, simple and complex were enjoyed together in perfect harmony and moderation. The only foods that should be discriminated against are the ones that taste bad :)

Name one! :)
  • angelapolite
    Options
    i always hear from a lot of people on diets that they completely banish carbs from their diet but why is this. Is it impossible to loose weight and still eat carbs?? Xx

why is it? People are falsely lead to beleive that low carb diets have a metabolic advantage. Also some find higher fat and protein more satiating then carbs and easier to adhere to their diets. And sometimes people have a metabolic disorder and have to go lowish carb

but no you don't have to banish carbs from your diet to lose weight

I agree, it really depends on the person. I started doing the typical low fat MFP diet, followed their guidelines. I did lose weight but it was harder for me to stick with it. Now I follow a low carb diet, I'm more satisfied with less calories. And my carb/sugar cravings are less.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I still eat carbs. Honestly I probably eat a lot less of them than I used to (I used to live almost exclusively off of huge bowls of cheesy pasta LOL) but now I pay more attention to portion sizes. So I still eat it and enjoy it, I'm just more mindful of portion sizing as it relates to calorie content, so I often find myself making my pasta dishes with more veggies and protein and less of the pasta. I often go over on my carb goal here on MFP but I don't worry too much about it. As long as I'm getting in plenty of protein and veggies, I just don't worry about how my carbs stack up. They are delicious. LOL My usual intake is not low-carb by any means, just not as high as it used to be.
  • To completely banish carbs from your diet is very unhealthy - that even means banning fruits and veggies, as they have carbs too. Carbs are the body's main source of energy that helps you power through workouts. Its fine to cut back on carbs, but not to cut them out completely.
  • Toxictwist
    Options
    yes, I still Eat Carbs
  • jen2607
    jen2607 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    For the most part, no. I will heat whole grains and fruit as a snack but I always pair it with a protein. I only do this though 1. because I'm insulin resistant so eating anything that is refined is going to make my sugar go crazy causing me to be sleepy and just feel bad in general and. 2. I wasn't able to lose any weight, even with a low calorie diet and exercising 5 times a week, but since I've started really monitoring them I've lost a little but I also feel healthier. As a previous poster mentioned, not everyone has to cut out carbs to lose weight. You really just need to find out what works best for you.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    i always hear from a lot of people on diets that they completely banish carbs from their diet but why is this. Is it impossible to loose weight and still eat carbs?? Xx

I not only eat carbs, but I don't even watch my macros at all. If a person is insulin resistant, has PCOS or other conditions like that minimizing carbs is needed, but not for many.
  • monalissanne
    monalissanne Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    My endocrinologist advised me to eat 45g of good carbs at each meal (based on my stats health stats). I went without carbs for two years straight and had success for awhile...until my body freaked out...hence the endocrinologist. The problem isn't eating carbs - it's eating "bad" carbs (like processed instant white rice instead of real whole grain rice or fried french fries instead of baked sweet potato fries) and eating too much of them.
  • QueenStromba
    QueenStromba Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've given up carbs and it's really working for me. I'm definitely insulin resistant though - my fasting blood glucose was 5.4 the last time it was tested so only 0.1 away from pre-diabetes and I'm only 29. This was after years of eating mostly good carbs. I feel so much better now that I've stopped eating high carb food and have so much more energy than I used to.

I absolutely love low carb eating and have managed to come up with low carb versions of all my favourite recipes so I don't see myself going back to eating the way I used to. I can eat chips (fries) and muffins now without having to feel guilty about it.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I think, when people say they have cut out carbs, they are mainly referring to SIMPLE carbs (white bread, white pasta, rice, desserts/sweets, white potatoes, etc...), not whole grains, fruits, and veggies. In my case, I have an insulin resistance issue, so I have to be careful of any carbs, simple or complex. However, I don't cut them out entirely. I do eat one serving each of fruit, whole grain, and starchy veggies (like carrots or peas) per day....sometimes more if I've worked out extra hard.
  • kimberly0416
    kimberly0416 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I eat carbs, I am getting in shape and slimming down. I don't eat white bread or rice and stay away from processed stuff. I do know that eating no carbs is bad unless you are drinking tons and tons of water to flush your system out.
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I manage my carbs, but I eat them... not all carbs are bad.. and personally to live without them isn't good for your body either..