Greek yogurt

Options
I want to like it, I really do. It's just way too sour for me. Any suggestions on how to make it better? Plus I'm not to crazy about the texture of yogurt-needs something crunchy in it like granola.

Replies

• SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I don't care for it, either. It's not like it's REQUIRED in a diet of healthy eating. :)

BUT, it shines as a sour cream sub. I don't eat it straight like I would yogurt, but I always use it in dips, etc. Delicious that way.
  • OLFATUG
    OLFATUG Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I eat a 6oz tub of plain Greek yogurt every day. I add fresh or frozen fruit and mix it all together for a great ~200 calorie snack.
  • HFunk84
    HFunk84 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If you add a sweeter fruit, it changes the taste. I like to add frozen blueberries and it sort of makes a frozen yogurt on it's own. Raspberries are also awesome. For extra goodness sprinkle hemp hearts on top. Yum!
  • ChangingTami
    ChangingTami Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Love it.......Add something more to it, like Bananas, Raspberries, Strawberries, Blueberries, Applesauce, honey, walnuts. almonds, trail mix or granola.
  • kate2004rock
    kate2004rock Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Add a touch of honey, or a little vanilla extract and some fresh fruit or a tablespoon or so of granola for some crunch. You really cant eat it plain.

It's also delish if you add some minched garlic, grated cucumber and dill and use as a veggie dip. Yum!
  • KriscoOil
    KriscoOil Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I tried it and I do not like the texture at all!! So I quit eating yogurt all together....and started losing weight - go figure. I eat oatmeal instead now. But I do think I might try using in dips - what a great idea!
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Try Oiko's Fruit on the bottom brand... it's good, taste like regular yogurt has 11-14g of protein, 120-140 calories and around 18-20 carbs
  • applebobbrush
    applebobbrush Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Add a teaspoon of honey, that really helped it for me. I don't like it plain at all. Also you could put granola with it, I think that would taste really good. There is a lot of granola recipes that are pretty easy to make at home as well. The only time I use it plain is if I am using it to substitute for sour cream which is awesome!
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I agree, it tastes like vomit in my opinion. I have to have fruit in it and then it's delicious! I love the Chobani options with fruit on the bottom. You can choose between 0% and 2% fat options. I looooooove the pineapple kind, it's gone before I realize it. I do like adding granola or Fiber One cereal to mine as well. Under 200 cals and a very filling snack!
  • 1WorkoutAtATime
    Options
    Yoplait - Greek 2x Protein Fat Free Yogurt Strawberry, 6 oz container (170 g)
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I add Bare Naked granola, which is a little high calorie (140 for 1/4 cup) but also has 6 gram of protein, which if you add to the yogurt gives you a 300 calorie or so breakfast with 20+ grams of protein. I also like the fruit on the bottom flavors, but I am trying to cut back on sugar a little.
  • MadeInDR022
    Options
    I add honey to it or get the Chobani Fruit Greek Yogurts which are delicios!
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I will put a half scoop of protein powder in mine, it seems to help a lot
  • ninelives58
    ninelives58 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Maybe try a different brand. I found that the store brand at my grocery tastes way better and costs way less than most of the "better" brands. Unfortunately, it has a bit more sugar than some of those other brands, but I LIKE IT and it's not too sour. Adding some cereal or some apple chunks makes it extra good.
  • kate2004rock
    kate2004rock Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    The Chobani pomegranite & cherry rocks my world.
  • josery1630
    josery1630 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Add some honey or a little bit of jelly of some kind. Different brands taste different, so try another brand. I don't like it plain either - I have to get the flavored kind.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I will put a half scoop of protein powder in mine, it seems to help a lot

^ This, but I only add 1/4 scoop.
  • buzzcogs
    buzzcogs Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    For me it's yummy with fresh blueberries and crunched up Nature Valley Granola bars. I get plain 1% milkfat Greek Yoghurt, half a cup of blueberries, and I crumble the Nature Valley Granola bars (1 or 2). In total it's about 350 cals and it makes a filling and yummy breakfast!

You can skip the granola and just use the blueberries and it's about 150 cals. Or use a small box of raisins with a serving of the yoghurt and it's about 250 cals.

Good Luck!
  • sarahstolberg
    sarahstolberg Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Aldi now sells the fruit-on-bottom kind (as well as the plain) for only $.89 per container (vs $1+ for the other brands). This is my breakfast most mornings. Greek yogurt + a whole apple or banana. I found if I add the whole piece of fruit, I stay full until lunch and cut out my morning snack. And its only 200-250 calories total.
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I was never a fan of yogurt at all until college.. Since then I've warmed up to it.. I recently tried the Fage Greek yogurt with cherry and cherry/pomegranate and i'm in love. I could never do the plain yogurt either.. I'm a big texture person as well, but my big gross out is cottage cheese. yuck!