Firearms in your home??

Options

Replies

• cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options

Try using a martial art when two drug crazed killers are banging down your door at 3:00 a.m. (and possess a shotgun), intent on taking what you have. You can do what you want; but I guarantee I will survive, and you will be a statistic.

^^^ example of someone who should never own a weapon
    Who me? Or the two drug crazed killers with the shotgun? I bet you are thinking me.
  • Orvett
    Orvett Posts: 83
    Options
    I was raised around guns. I did a lot of WWII re-enacting too. My dad was the type that if they had to leave me alone he showed me where the AK was and always told me if someone came in the house "shoot to kill." apparently criminals will sue you for being shot and injured as they were breaking into your house >.<

Anywho I agree with anyone else. Safety classes and lock them away in a safe.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I would let him have the guns in the house. I know you said you have lost friends from them but who is to say it'd happen to you?

You are twice as likely to die by homicide in your home if you keep firearms in the home, so...

http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/160/10/929.abstract

PLEASE NOTE-- These studies took into account gangbangers who were killed in their home by drive bys.
    NOT just the average American.

Take into account that a large number of homicides in the US are gang/drug/crime related, clean up the study to only include lawfully owned firearms, in homes without these types of people, and then let me know what the numbers say.

So basically you'd like to take an abstract of reality to make it fit your point?
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK and our laws are pretty tight, i doubt i'd be able to get a gun even if i didn't disagree with them. I wouldn't have one in the house. It really would be a case of me or the guns. Don't let anyone force you to have a gun around if you don't want one.
  • cruiseking
    Options

I would call him a "survivor", and not a "victim". Save your judgement.

On the contrary, it's my judgement that always saves me
    And your judgement at that moment would be?
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I would let him have the guns in the house. I know you said you have lost friends from them but who is to say it'd happen to you?

You are twice as likely to die by homicide in your home if you keep firearms in the home, so...

http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/160/10/929.abstract

PLEASE NOTE-- These studies took into account gangbangers who were killed in their home by drive bys.

Take into account that a large number of homicides in the US are gang/drug/crime related, clean up the study to only include lawfully owned firearms, in homes without these types of people, and then let me know what the numbers say.

So basically you'd like to take an abstract of reality to make it fit your point?

No, I'm saying that the study has nothing to do with the average American.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Have him get a fingerprint gun safe. In fact insist on it. He'll be the only one that can open it. If you don't have guns now, there is no need to have a loaded gun in the house.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options

I appreciate the critical analysis. You make a valid point. The study also notes that men are 10x more likely to commit suicide if they have a firearm in the house. Gangbangers don't really factor into that...

Most people are not killed by gangbangers. Most people are killed by someone they know intimately.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11991417
  • Justjoshin
    Options

I appreciate the critical analysis. You make a valid point. The study also notes that men are 10x more likely to commit suicide if they have a firearm in the house. Gangbangers don't really factor into that...

Most people are not killed by gangbangers. Most people are killed by someone they know intimately.

Over 50% of suicides I believe happen with a firearm regardless of sex.

However, note that this is SUCCESSFUL Suicides.

The large ratio of gun related suicides is due to the fact that it is much harder to botch your suicide when using a handgun than a handful of drugs, a knife, etc.

Having a gun doesn't make you more likely to attempt suicide, it only makes it more likely that you will succeed
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options

Most people who get in car accidents do so within 5 miles of their home. Does that statistic keep you from living your life?
  • Well seeing as I'm from Australia, we have a very strict gun law and the average person can't get a gun these days. But I remember as a kid Dad used to have a shot gun in the house - but we were never told where. (which is a good thing as we were about 9 at the oldest) I've been shooting and enjoyed it a lot but I think it is up to you both to come to a decision together. Do they have to be guns in working condition? Isn't there something you can do to keep them looking the same but not being able to work?
    Just a thought.
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I will never have a gun in my home. My husband and I both suffer from depression and my father commited suicide...with a gun. I also have children and would never have a gun in a house with kids, and I do ask at my kids friends houses if they have guns. My kids don't go to the houses that do.
  • Justjoshin
    Options
    Have him get a fingerprint gun safe. In fact insist on it. He'll be the only one that can open it. If you don't have guns now, there is no need to have a loaded gun in the house.

Although biometric keypads have come a long way, they are nowhere near fool proof. If the gun is to be kept in the safe for a time of need, a biometric keypad is much less reliable than a finger code gunvault. Just my opinion.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options
    I know my way around firearms. Weapons are not for everyone. I think the OP has valid concerns about firearms in the home. Education and training will help the OP make an informed decision. She may learn more about firearms and decide she feels ok with them after all. But there are risks, and there are studies (of varying quality) that measure these risks - if the OP finds that valuable.

If you're terrified of guns, you should probably not entertain any ideas of having them in the home. If you are terrified of drug-crazed serial killers beating down your door, you should probably also not think about buying a gun.
  • peggyj49
    peggyj49 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    An unloaded , dis-assembled gun locked in a cabinet will be no protection in a home invasion. A criminal will not give you time to find the key and load the gun. I was raised around guns and taught gun safety as a young child. I raised my children with guns and they have raised their children with guns I keep a gun for protection, it is loaded at all times, and the safety is on. In the event that I need to protect myself my gun is ready. Cars are not dangerous but some drivers are. Guns are only dangerous in the hands of criminals and people who have not been taught gun safety..
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options

Most people who get in car accidents do so within 5 miles of their home. Does that statistic keep you from living your life?

Well, funny you should ask, but I actually don't own a car or drive with any regularity.
  • yoshi91610
    yoshi91610 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Oh I wish I had some advice. But I am 100% against firearms being in my home. I don't even like to be around guns let alone having one with all the ammo and everything and my husband is in the military he carries a gun around all the time it seems. Still I don't care.
  • cruiseking
    Options
    Which sign would you plant on your front lawn:
    1)No Firearms or Weapons Permitted on this Property - Violators are Considered Trespassers and are Subject to Forfeiture or Arrest
    2)Is There Life After Death? Tresspass here and Find Out.
    When seconds count; the cops are minutes away.
  • Justjoshin
    Options
    Personally I use this sign.

My-Neighbors-are-Not-Armed.png
  • vaderandbill
    vaderandbill Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options

I think not. I learned martial arts myself, but until you have worked in an environment with people drugged out of their mind and intoxicated, there's no amount of martial arts that is going to save your *kitten* against those people. Not to mention, if someone assults me, walks into my home, or attempts to car jack my vehicle; Im not going to say "stop or I'm going to attempt to kick your *kitten*", oh no, I'm gonna put another whole in them.

You shoot to injure, you don't have to shoot to kill.

When you are under attack and your life is on the line, try to shoot someone in the arm or leg. Not going to happen...you shoot at the best target, center mass!