What is something you cannot give up

I'm trying to eat healthy and watch labels. I bought some olive oil low cal mayonnaise to add to sandwiches and especially tuna. I have tried it twice and decided I cannot eat this and must have regular mayo. I know it has alot of calories but maybe I can cut back somewhere else?

So what can you not do without or better yet have you found a substitute that is just as good.

Replies

• Before you completely give up on Low cal Mayo try BEST FOODS. I love me some mayonnaise and when I started Weight Watchers and switched to low cal I tried a few including the olive one but I didn't like any as much as the BEST FOODS brand!
  • i will absolutely not do without dessert after dinner! when i was doing medifast, we were allowed 1 tbsp of peanut butter as a snack, so that was my after dinner dessert. i would shift my meals around until i could "afford" the calories.

now that i'm done with medifast and am "maintaining" i'm allowed more room for creativity, but i still only allow myself things that fit within my range. so if i only have a small amount of calories left, i get a small dessert, if i have more room to play with i will have something more decadent.

i guess what i'm saying is if mayo is something you cant live without, work with your daily meal plans until you can "afford" the calories and fat mayo adds. remember this is a life change, so it has to be something that will work for you long term.
  • piperjon
    piperjon Posts: 157 Member
    Cigarettes and bourbon.
    And really well made beer.
    And no, I'm not kidding.
    It's a "more healthy lifestyle."
    Not "a lifestyle without living..." ;-)
  • Not a food item, but Q-TIPS!!!! :tongue:
  • Gee45
    Gee45 Posts: 171
    My daily tea with milk and sugar. Sugar substitute, honey, agave, etc just isn't the same as white sugar. Peanut butter although I mostly now have natural peanut butter instead of kraft light.
    As for mayo, I have not tried the olive oil mayo but I do like hellman's mayo light. I need some mayo with my tuna or egg salad.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,902 Member
    Luckily I don't believe in giving up on anything when it comes to food. Now SEX I can't give up.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • thesmellofapples
    thesmellofapples Posts: 287 Member
    since i started my diet, lunch meat sandwhiches are my go-to meal to fill me up. i get oscar mayer deli fresh turkey, kraft provolone, light miracle whip, and sara lee 45 calorie bread. the sandwhich is really filling and hits just over 200 cals. the bread in particular is amazing to me because i haven't seen any other bread so low in calories and really delicious.

one thing i can't change or get out of is taco bell. on occasion i schedule my meals and exercise so i can fit in a quesadilla. making my own just doesn't work for me.
  • awdamm
    awdamm Posts: 375 Member
    I'm not ready to give up ALCOHOL!
  • daves160
    daves160 Posts: 600
    Coffee and pizza. Don't mess with either. I kill you!
  • cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    I'm not going to really say what you're after, but I'll say it anyway.

For me, I found that the only surefire way to get success and results with my diet is to adhere to one harsh rule:

'Nothing cannot be compromised"

There is absolutely nothing I have left over from my old eating routines and habits, because in my view it was just terrible and ruining me. Some examples:

- I eat only brown rice, when before two months ago I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW IT EXISTED
    - I eat seafood 2-3 times a week because of its health properties, when before two months ago I NEVER ATE SEAFOOD IN MY LIFE
    - I never have fast food anymore, when before two months ago I'd EAT IT MORE THAN ONCE DAILY
    - I don't touch soft drinks at all. Period. Coming from a lifestyle of DRINKING 1 LITRE PER DAY

You could call my lifestyle prior to 2 months ago destructive to my health. And that's why I say nothing cannot be compromised.
  • I so understand... but I have at least switched to Vodka with no calorie add ins... not perfect because of the actual alcohols effect on the body, but Im trying! But I know I will NEVER completely give it up.... We all need a vice... :drinker:
  • awdamm
    I so understand... but I have at least switched to Vodka with no calorie add ins... not perfect because of the actual alcohols effect on the body, but Im trying! But I know I will NEVER completely give it up.... We all need a vice... :drinker:

agreed. :D

I have completely given up soda. Instead of my traditional vodka and sprite I'll do a cherry vodka with soda water (techincally not "soda" just bubbles! ) splash of cranberry and a squeeze of lime. don't even miss the soda!
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Luckily I don't believe in giving up on anything when it comes to food. Now SEX I can't give up.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Exactly. During my leaning phase, I did cut a lot out, though... that made me a walking, talking, crying emotional roller coaster, but thankfully it didn't last long and I survived.... so did my husband.
  • awdamm
    i also do the water with lime and grenadine to throw off the "OMG why aren't you drinking.... you must be pregnant" people. :D
  • kiwi1855
    kiwi1855 Posts: 218 Member
    I cannot give up buffalo chicken fingers. I love spicy... I love chicken fingers. I'll have them once every couple of weeks as a treat, but I will work my butt off to be able to indulge. I also will not give up ice cream... but I find the skinny cow ice cream treats line is really quite tasty, so bonus!
  • Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    CHEESE! But I am... just cannot fit it into my macros unless I am 500 cals under for the day :(
  • Coffee and pizza. Don't mess with either. I kill you!

and if she doesn't get the job done- i'll finish ya off! coffee every morning or the world will be sorry (ey w/ organic non-fat milk only, so what's to give up?:smile:) and pizza once a week for dinner (just save up the calories for it that day...whooohooo pizza night!)
  • MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    since i started my diet, lunch meat sandwhiches are my go-to meal to fill me up. i get oscar mayer deli fresh turkey, kraft provolone, light miracle whip, and sara lee 45 calorie bread. the sandwhich is really filling and hits just over 200 cals. the bread in particular is amazing to me because i haven't seen any other bread so low in calories and really delicious.

one thing i can't change or get out of is taco bell. on occasion i schedule my meals and exercise so i can fit in a quesadilla. making my own just doesn't work for me.

I use Healthy Life bread...its only 35 calories per slice and also has added fiber!

Lunchmeat I get from the deli and I use the low sodium version. It is so good.

I love CHEESE! Lately I've been getting horseradish cheddar from the deli and having them slice it paper thin (approx .33oz) so I still feel like I'm indulging but only getting 1/3 of the fat & calories :happy:
  • TenderBranson
    TenderBranson Posts: 114 Member
    I'm better than most at not eating something if it doesn't fit my macros. That said:

Graham Crackers
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,139 Member
    I've never given up on anything I like (moderation and sanity) and I agree low cal mayo is an abomination invented for the diet industry for people that believe low fat and diet options taste the same. When can a company make a product and then take out expensive ingredients and add water or other meaningless substitutions for bulk, taste or texture, charge the same amount of money and laugh all the way to the bank, gotta love the diet industry......Producers of light beer come to mind as well lol