How it's done, tips from me to you

Options

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Love this!!! I'm having one of those emontional days, don't know why, prob stress of the up coming weekend. But non the less recognized it, but do have to say one thing I don't agree with, you needed to say the CUBS not the Red Sox:wink:

BAHH HAHAHAHA HAAA! Cubs, right.

:tongue:

Couldn't help myself. Thanks SB for the compliments.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Thanks Banks . . . um, er, ah, Boss! :flowerforyou:

And Kerri - both great posts!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    I'm adding this to the "Links you want to read again and again" thread - one of the sticky threads mentioned above.... Maybe I'll ask Mike to update it when it gets to 500.

Steve and Kerri, thank you!

Bumparoni.
  • chulie
    chulie Posts: 282
    Options
    Hello all,
    Just wanted to add to this love-post.....I have only been here since the begining of January and have already been able to soak up so much wonderful information thanks to you guys. I have learned so much about myself, my body and the "why's" of eating.

I grew up with a sister who definitely had an eating disorder and we all pretended it wasnt there. I,apparently went to the other extreame. What I have learned is that as wonderful as my family is, we definitely have had an unhealthy approach to food. I see it in my extended family as well(cousins,aunts ect), some of them are 1 extreame(over eating) and then a few are the other (severe dieting and medical procedures to be thin, one cousin of mine is already really skinny and had the band put on to keep it that way, instead of just eating well) So, I cant even explain in 1 page how much I have learned in the last month about my relationship with food and how messed up it was!! I was SO the typical dieter who was GUARENTEED to fail and didnt realize it....and always did after a few weeks and gained more!!

The "d" word (diet) is no longer in my vocabulary and I am finally free of feeling guilty about food!!!!!! Thanks everyone!!! I am finally on a path that feels like me!!!!!!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Hello all,
    Just wanted to add to this love-post.....I have only been here since the begining of January and have already been able to soak up so much wonderful information thanks to you guys. I have learned so much about myself, my body and the "why's" of eating.

I grew up with a sister who definitely had an eating disorder and we all pretended it wasnt there. I,apparently went to the other extreame. What I have learned is that as wonderful as my family is, we definitely have had an unhealthy approach to food. I see it in my extended family as well(cousins,aunts ect), some of them are 1 extreame(over eating) and then a few are the other (severe dieting and medical procedures to be thin, one cousin of mine is already really skinny and had the band put on to keep it that way, instead of just eating well) So, I cant even explain in 1 page how much I have learned in the last month about my relationship with food and how messed up it was!! I was SO the typical dieter who was GUARENTEED to fail and didnt realize it....and always did after a few weeks and gained more!!

The "d" word (diet) is no longer in my vocabulary and I am finally free of feeling guilty about food!!!!!! Thanks everyone!!! I am finally on a path that feels like me!!!!!!

I think this is probably the best thing I could have ever heard about this post. Congratulations chulie. Recognizing your issues with food is probably one of (if not the) most important things we can teach and learn here!
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    I guess my 50 lbs lost means nothing.:angry:

Just kidding Banks.:heart::flowerforyou:

Great post!

Ohhh Soupy. Why ya gotta be mean to me?:wink:

You were in my et all group. I can't name ALL of my secret crushes, or else
    they wouldn't be secret ... :noway: Um... I mean .... ahh.

Forget it.

So I've been pushed to the "et al" group, huh?

I'm gonna find a new stalker. A new stalker, you hear?

{runs away crying}
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

Great post!

Forget it.

{runs away crying}

As long as still get to watch you run away (I have awesome binoculars) :smokin:
  • SoupNazi
    Options

Great post!

Forget it.

{runs away crying}

As long as still get to watch you run away (I have awesome binoculars) :smokin:

You always say just the right things.:wink::blushing:
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I went in and changed it to what Banks suggested - looking back that actually put me lower on protein so I think I'll be ok - new challenge to work eating into the new goals

Bring it on....

Chrissy, make sure that carb/protein/fat outline is right for you. I only do 3 cardio days a week, which is why I'm at 45%, and I do 3 weight training days a week which is why I'm at 29% protein, plus I'm trying to gain muscle. This may or may not be right for you though, so be aware of that. The more cardio you do, and the less weight training you do, the higher the ratio should be. 15% protein is far lower then it should be IMHO for anyone exercising (even cardio only). But I think 20 to 25% protein is fine for someone with only cardio in their routine, or if they are just trying to define muscle and not increase.

So I am a bit confused - I do mainly cardio - I am doing some strength after cardio session like leg curls, leg presses, what I call arm pulls - but not sure how much

I'll see what happens with the changes I've made and adjust if I need to-won't be the first time
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say Hi Soupy!! :drinker:

I misses you :love: :smooched:
  • SoupNazi
    Options
    Just wanted to say Hi Soupy!! :drinker:

I misses you :love: :smooched:

Hey Natasha!:love:

I misses you too love.:smooched:

Psst...be careful.....I think I saw Banksy running around here with a pair of high powered binoculars and he was wearing a guilly suit.:noway:
  • hopetobeinshape
    Options
    THanks for the great advice and stories! It is a huge motivator to us all :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    :noway:
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    just wanted to give it a quick bump to the night owls.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    just wanted to give it a quick bump to the night owls.

YO...NIGHT OWLS...this one is worth reading
    double bump
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much, Banks! I've been here for a while & I still need to read all this good stuff you write!!! You rock!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • Heather125
    Heather125 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Thank you for taking your time to write this :drinker:
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Your very welcome guys. It's kind of a pleasure to know that what I have learned doesn't have to die with me.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Great post Banks!:happy:

I have told my "secrets" to many people. I will put it here too!!

Let's see. Where to begin!!

I remember getting to a point where I had enough. I was snoring, had little energy, was super self-conscious about pretty much everything and I got sick and tired of food dictating my life anymore. I decided to take control of it once and for all.

I have yo-yo dieted in the past and lost a lot of weight, which of course came right back on. So, I knew if this was going to be done for good, it would have to be done a different way than I did it before.

TIPS from TAM!:bigsmile: :

1)BABY STEPS I think a huge part of why I was able to do this and stick to it for so long is because I didn't put so much pressure on myself to be perfect from day one. I slowly changed the way I lived, thereby easing into a healthier way of living. I made one small change after another. I started with just counting calories. Once I got the hang of that, I started to pay closer attention to where they were coming from. It was the same with exercise. I started slowly. I would do 20 minutes on the elliptical at level 3 and a few weights. Every time a level got easier, I would bump it up and add 5 minutes. I am now up to over an hour at level 19. But, by slowly easing into everything, I didn't get burned out or frustrated.

2)RESEARCH! If you are on MFP, you have access to the internet and the abundance of information out there to help you on your path to a healthier lifestyle. I would check several sites and read and educate myself. I learned about what foods would fuel me and keep me going. And that is a huge part of staying on track. Feeling satisfied. I also researched exercise (and bugged Banks! LOL!) If nothing else, just open Google and type in what you are looking for and you will find a ton of information.

3) VENTURE OUT: Try new foods. Herbs and spices are a great way to flavor food without adding calories. Keep your mind open to foods you might not think you will like. And keep it interesting. Check out new healthier recipes. But, also learn which healthier staples you know you want around each week and keep them on hand. By having these items around and not getting bored, you will feel much more satisfied and able to stick with it.

4) WATER! I know how difficult it is to get used to drinking a lot of water but I just know I drink a ton and I can honestly say it helped me. I start each day with 24 ounces. It used to take me 30 minutes to drink that. Now I can get it down in about 10 minutes. It's a healthy start to my day and I would make it sort of a challenge and had it be how I earned my cup of coffee that followed. And the cool thing is, as soon as I hydrated myself with that 24 ounces, I would immediately start to wake up, even without the caffeine. Water helps to keep you feeling full, and often when you think you're hungry, it's really thirst. Also by drinking a lot, you keep your body from retaining it so much. My goal is to drink at least 80 ounces a day. Other than my one cup of coffee in the morning and a decaf tea and a cocoa here and there, it's all I drink.

5) CHEAT MEALS. I will chime in on this one. I wouldn't have a cheat meal weekly. However, I would allow myself to relax on occasion. I started my weight loss in September of 2007. Right before the holiday season. I found that if I relaxed here and there (like Thanksgiving, Christmas, Super Bowl Sunday, etc), it WOULD help to keep me from feeling deprived. I wouldn't go CRAZY but I wouldn't count every calorie those meals either. I would eat and enjoy it and stopped when I was full. My loss that week might not have been quite as big or I might have even maintained but I would get back on track the next day and keep going. Taking that break once in awhile helped me a lot because you do get burned out sometimes. And each time I was successful at getting back on track, I would get more confident in myself to do this forever. The confidence is what is different this time around!

6) TOOLS: I used measuring cups, spoons and a food scale. I still do, though I am pretty good at eyeballing it now that I have done it so long. By using those tools, you are teaching yourself about proper portions and you get a huge eye-opener as to why you gained weight in the first place. It may seem silly to some to measure every tbsp of sour cream, but at least you know for a fact that you are getting the amount you are counting on the food journal! And you are teaching yourself portion control in the process.

7)MOVE YOUR BODY: Exercise is fantastic!! I have so much more energy now (when not in my first trimester of pregnancy that is!! lol!) My resting heart rate is at an athletic level and it takes me a lot to get winded. That is a huge change from before. Plus, exercising allows you to eat more. I was one of those that would eat at least half of my exercise calories back. On exercise days, I would be eating 1800-1900 calories. Not exactly hard!! Haha! I would often enjoy a nice plate of pasta those days. (we all know how fast pasta calories go!) Even if I was watching TV, I would stand up and do some lunges, squats, etc. Every little thing you do (if done on a consistent basis) will help.

8)EXPERIMENT WITH CALORIES: Remember that the calories given to you on here should only be used as a guideline. Sometimes it takes some trial and error to find what will work for your body. I never went lower than 1400 on non-gym days. I would eat that Mon, Wed and Fri. And on my gym days, by the end...I would eat 1800-1900 cals because I burned a lot. That was Tues, Thurs, Sat and Sun. I honestly think I made my metabolism VERY happy and kept it at an almost constant burn by doing this. I would eat plenty and exercise plenty. And my body thanked me for that!!

*Side note. Make sure your calories burned are accurate. I never used a HRM. I read in a fitness article that a good way to to get a pretty accurate reading if you use a machine is when it asks for your weight, enter a weight 5 to 10 lbs LESS than you are and then after you work out, deduct about 10-15% from the final number. That is what I did and it worked fine for me. Granted, I never ate ALL my calories back but I ate plenty!

Good luck everyone!!!! You can do this!! :flowerforyou:
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Between Kerri, Banks and Tam's posts I think this is my new favorite post
    Thank you all for sharing!

It helps to read it over again even thought you've all had various posts in the past. Keeps me going!