How Many Calories are you Eating a Day?

Options

Replies

• Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I literally try to eat as many calories as possible. I'm set at 1520, but I workout to eat more and eat back ALL of my calories. I'm over some days as well. I just lowered my intake from 1800 and am missing it with a passion. After December, I'll probably go back up to 1800 with .5lbs/week as goal loss.
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    It just baffles my mind to think that you can lose more by eating more. Maybe I will try 1350 or 1400 for awhile? hmm
    If you eat too little you won't burn calories as your body stores them, or you just don't have enough energy to burn. I am 5'9", and currently weigh about 160. I am set to lose .5 lbs as I am close to my goal and MFP tells me to eat 1810 calories a day. I do eat back some of my workout calories.
  • Toxictwist
    Options
    i'm 5'4. 141 lbs & eating 1350 Calories per day + whatever I gain for calories in exercise too
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I switch things up to keep my body guessing, but I am enrolled in a little school with some of my girls on here that we call "EAT B!TCH Academy." I'm a big believer in eat to lose. I'm down just shy of 20lbs, it's worked for me!
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    i have mine set to 1500/day, I'm 6'3, 280 atm, haven't started working out yet.
  • johnsocq
    Options
    I started a diet with a dr. on 11/25. I am 5 ft 1 and weigh 171.6 when I started. I have been following it up until yesterday when I had my first cheat. I drink meal replacement shakes at breakfast and lunch and then eat a healthy lean dinner. I have also been drinking 8 or so cups a water a day even walking 2 miles four days a week. I had lost 6 lbs, but now I am still at this same weight. From reports I have only been eating between 600-1000 calories a day. I don't know what else to do. HELP!!!
  • camillehardeman
    Options
    I'm 5'6, 128ish pounds. Since weight loss isn't really my main goal right now, I am trying to eat at maintainence to build a little muscle. I think 1200 is too low for anyone who is remotely active and I don't really understand why that is the set calorie allowance on MFP, but oh well!
  • margiemommy
    margiemommy Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" .. Currently 168 want to lose about 20 more lbs. My "goal" on here is 1200 calories a day but I've noticed some people say that may be too little?

I'm not a big exercise person .. I know I need to try to get in some cardio at least a couple days a week but it's very hard having 2 children and working full time! But when I do I eat my calories back (usually only burn around 200 anyway)

I work full-time and have two toddlers as well and have, until now, used that as excuse not to exercise. I'm making the time (even when I so don't want to) even if its only 10-20 minutes each day. You deserve it ;-)

So true.. I would really like to start doing Zumba. But if I can't find the time to do that maybe I can at least get on my treadmill for a bit a day. .. if I can clean it off from being a coat rack ;) lol
    if you like zumba and have a wii they have a awesome game out and u can pick the amount of time and the level of difficulty this may be a good option for you i do it myself first thing in the morning before my daughter gets up and if i do it in the evening my daughter loves the music and loves to watch .
    just remeber for this to work u need to make some time to take care of ur self and good luck
  • KZOsMommy
    KZOsMommy Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4 and around 155lbs (I do not weight myself anymore just measure). I workout a lot and have three children (8,7,5) and homeschool them. I may not workout outside the home but I work all day with them. When I first started working out about two years ago (I had three kids under 6) I was working out 3 times a day. You just HAVE to do it. Even if that means getting up early or working out when they are in bed. YOU ARE WORTH THE TIME! As for calories I was doing 1200 calories and my weight staled big time. I am now on a higher calorie intake, 1909, and I am losing inches again (3inches off my hips and an inch off my waist in the last month) and I am lifting and loving it!!!

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    I'm 5'7" .. Currently 168 want to lose about 20 more lbs. My "goal" on here is 1200 calories a day but I've noticed some people say that may be too little?

I'm not a big exercise person .. I know I need to try to get in some cardio at least a couple days a week but it's very hard having 2 children and working full time! But when I do I eat my calories back (usually only burn around 200 anyway)

I work full-time and have two toddlers as well and have, until now, used that as excuse not to exercise. I'm making the time (even when I so don't want to) even if its only 10-20 minutes each day. You deserve it ;-)

So true.. I would really like to start doing Zumba. But if I can't find the time to do that maybe I can at least get on my treadmill for a bit a day. .. if I can clean it off from being a coat rack ;) lol

I also have two kids, and while I am a stay-at-home Mom, I am still super busy. I make and sell handmade items, and I homeschool. I know finding the time can be difficult, but here is an interesting little tidbit- 3 10-minute workouts throughout the day are just as effective as 1 30-minute workout! So maybe you can't get a full 30 minutes, but may you can find a few 10-minute blocks here and there????
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6 and 159 pounds. I'm also rather sedentary. I started here at 1,200 calories. Initially lost a few pounds but stalled out. I have just bumped cals up to 1,400 but that still may be too low. I'm going to try it for a few weeks and if necessary bump it up to 1,600. My Basic Metabolic Rate (BMR is just over 1,400 so I think there is a good chance that 1,400 calories is too low).

Editing to add: MFP's BMR calculator has me at 1368, while other ones I have found on the net has me over 1,400.
  • Jessica2Skinny
    Jessica2Skinny Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and currently 132.4 pounds as of this morning. I am trying to be 125 pounds so MFP tells me to not have more than 1200 calories a day. It really depends on what you eat that makes you lose weight. If i eat at taco bell but stay at 1200 calories, I wont lose weight. If i eat fruits, veggies, salads with chicken, salmon, chili, potatoes w/ cheese and brocolli, etc.. i will eat a lot more because its less in calories and I usually end up losing weight very fast.
    Also, if I get a 30 minute walk/jog in that day I REALLY drop weight fast. So 1200 calories is OKAY if your eating the right foods.
  • AddA2UDE
    AddA2UDE Posts: 382
    Options
    I'm struggling to get this properly dialed in too. I just set my net goal at 1,900 today. I lost 25 lbs before finding MFP and tracking everything. I'm pretty sure I was eating more back then but have no way of knowing for sure. Then, when I started MFP, it had me at 1,600. I did that for two months and gained 2.5 lbs each month. I have been doing a lot of research and asking those who used to be where I'm at and successfully got to where I want to be. Based upon all of that research and input, I am going to try this 1,900/day for a couple of months and see how that works. I currently weigh 255lbs and lift 3-4 times per week and do cardio 1-2 times per week.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

I never went below 1750 when losing.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I have a lot to lose and my goal is 1730. I have tried to stay at that and have been plateaued for two months. This week I weakened, haven't done any exercise and was about to give up because my calories were closer to 2000 this week and I finally lost .6 of a lb to put me at 25 lbs. I can't believe that eating that much has made me lose. I'm going to have to play with it more and see how it works for me......

GOod luck al!!
  • Laineegrrl
    Laineegrrl Posts: 80 Member
    Options
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6'' - started weighing 303.4 - now weigh 208.6 - down 94.8 pounds -- and I regularly eat 1600-2000 (typically more like 1800-2000) calories a day and exercise 60-120 minutes a day, 6-7 days a week.
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    im 5 foot 7 too and weigh in at 153 and i eat when i want, if i want but then i do work it off! as long as you get some butt busting workouts in, you can eat almost anything. i started here with 162 lbs and am on the 1200 cal setting too and it s been working for me! good luck and add me for support and chit chat :)
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    5'5", maintaining at 130 with 1770 + exercise cals since August. I lost 12 pounds earlier this year with MFP set to 1/2 pound per week + exercise cals, and never had a goal below 1430.
  • aqua_zumba_fan
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and 140lbs and focusing on weekly rather than daily calories but averaging at 1200 per day. I exercise a lot and eat back all my exercise calories. I've found I've started losing again since using a weekly rather than daily goal.