How Many Calories are you Eating a Day?

Options

Replies

• Mateo1985
    Options
    I'm 5'8. 150lbs. I was eating at about 1800 to maintaine. I'm now at about 2700 cals a day maintaining. But I exercise now thou
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    To maintain, I'm at 1700 + exercise calories, so typically around 2000 total. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

When I was losing, I did best around 1500 + exercise calories, typically around 1800 total.

I didn't like being on 1200. :noway:
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,022 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is different. I eat around 1200 cals a day and dont eat back my exercise cals. I have been doing this for 16 months and have lost 90 lbs. When i hit a plateau I zig zag my cals a little bit ( eating 1400 one day and 1000 the next) and add in a little more exercise and I start losing again. It amazes me how many cals some of you lose and still lose, you must be alot more active then me, your activity level makes a huge difference. Other then my daily walks and my 2xs a week gym workouts i am not very active
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    It just baffles my mind to think that you can lose more by eating more. Maybe I will try 1350 or 1400 for awhile? hmm

i think you should play around with the numbers and see. i was initially set at 1200 calories a day aiming to lose 2 lb a week and though i lost weight the first couple of weeks, i kept losing and gaining the same weight over and over thereafter. i revised my goal to lost 1.5 lb a week allowing me 1350 calories and same thing happened. i was heading nowhere. revised it again to 1550 aiming to lose 1 lb per week and i have been losing continuously.
  • Ipster
    Ipster Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" .. Currently 168 want to lose about 20 more lbs. My "goal" on here is 1200 calories a day but I've noticed some people say that may be too little?

I'm not a big exercise person .. I know I need to try to get in some cardio at least a couple days a week but it's very hard having 2 children and working full time! But when I do I eat my calories back (usually only burn around 200 anyway)

I'm 5'7" and I avg around2100 to 2200 a day avg.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I'm eating around 3000-3200 every day except weekends (rest days) when I eat 2800 - I'm trying to gain though.

I'm 5'8, ~145lbs and maintain on around 2400 before workouts. My daily activity (not incl. as workouts) is around 1-2 hours normal pace walking. I imagine I could lose on around 2100 NET.
  • AddA2UDE
    AddA2UDE Posts: 382
    Options
    It just baffles my mind to think that you can lose more by eating more. Maybe I will try 1350 or 1400 for awhile? hmm

i think you should play around with the numbers and see. i was initially set at 1200 calories a day aiming to lose 2 lb a week and though i lost weight the first couple of weeks, i kept losing and gaining the same weight over and over thereafter. i revised my goal to lost 1.5 lb a week allowing me 1350 calories and same thing happened. i was heading nowhere. revised it again to 1550 aiming to lose 1 lb per week and i have been losing continuously.

This was an unforseen positive for me too. I "could" survive on eating much less everyday if I had to but I was very glad to figure out eating so little would be more of a hinderance, than a help to what I was trying to accomplish.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5", current weight 132. I set MFP to 1800, eat that daily as well as any exercise cals. According to MFP, I should be gaining 1/3rd lb. a week, but I'm still losing almost 1 lb. a week. Go figure!
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5", current weight 132. I set MFP to 1800, eat that daily as well as any exercise cals. According to MFP, I should be gaining 1/3rd lb. a week, but I'm still losing almost 1 lb. a week. Go figure!

I'm the same height, and have about 20 pounds on you. I set MFP to 1900 and ate that and exercise calories (sometimes upwards of 3,000 calories per day, usually around 2200-2500). 1900 is what MFP says I should eat to maintain and I was losing about .7-1 pound per week with that. I bumped down to 1450 for a week to see what would happen, though. 1450 is HARD AS HELL. lol
  • epona_mus
    epona_mus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9", CW= 185, GW = 137. MFP is set at 1200, and I eat back at least half of my exercise calories. I lose 1.5-2.5 lb per week.

You won't go into "starvation mode" by eating less than 1200 calories - but you'll probably be hungry and crabby!! :-)

Try eating 100 cal. more for a week or two and see if it stalls your weight loss. If not, add another 100 cal. until you find the cal deficit that is optimum for you.
  • 08caseyk
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and i've been eating between 550-1000 calories. I feel full when i'm done eating and i haven't been feeling faint or anything. So i think it's okay. But i'm also excercising as well. It just depends on your body i guess
  • Becca619
    Becca619 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I recently changed mine and am trying to eat my BMR every day.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    1500 calories a day, sometimes more.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    I have my calories set to 1550, and I eat those plus some exercise calories back. I exercise anywhere from 400 to 800 cals/day on average (45-120 minutes cardio). I started on 1200 calories and rarely/never ate back exercise calories. It worked for a while. Then I started eating back some calories but stayed on the 1200 basic. That stopped working-I was so hungry I just got ravenous, blew it for a while, then got it back together when I upped my calories. I am finally below where I was several weeks ago when I lost it....

I'm 5'2 1/2", currently 155.
  • sunnyskyjb
    sunnyskyjb Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7'' also and my goal was set at 1,300 cals a day.

I've been sticking to that, unless I workout which gives me more cals to use.

I lost 7 lbs. in the first month I've been on MFP, and was down one more lb this morning!

I formally work out twice a week, and I might walk one or two more days.

I hope this is helpful.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9", CW= 185, GW = 137. MFP is set at 1200, and I eat back at least half of my exercise calories. I lose 1.5-2.5 lb per week.

You won't go into "starvation mode" by eating less than 1200 calories - but you'll probably be hungry and crabby!! :-)

Try eating 100 cal. more for a week or two and see if it stalls your weight loss. If not, add another 100 cal. until you find the cal deficit that is optimum for you.

Your body will go into starvation mode if you are eating less than 1200 calories. 1200 is the MINIMUM amount of calories a woman needs just for basic bodily functions (brain development, breathing, heartbeat, digestion, etc,). Do some research.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and i've been eating between 550-1000 calories. I feel full when i'm done eating and i haven't been feeling faint or anything. So i think it's okay. But i'm also excercising as well. It just depends on your body i guess

That is very dangerous.
  • aspen1377
    aspen1377 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks to the "Olivia Method" (you'll see some posts and a group on here) I am now eating between 1500-2000 calories a day and LOSING....I was at 1200 according to MFP. It's great for people who don't have tons left to lose....

I am just under 5'8" and weigh 146....
  • harrysdiner
    harrysdiner Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 5"5 and weigh 118 now. I lost 35+ pds eating around 1200-1400 cal per day. I do work out and durning most of my weight lost I burned around 300 calories a day. I eat back some of the excersie cals. I did find that 1200 cal is alittle low and when I hit a platueau I actually added a small snack in the afternoon (100 cals) and becan to lose again. I also drink 1-2 glasses of wine per day so my acutal food calories were only around 950 don't reconomend that but its part of my life and I'm maintaining my loss and still losing very very slowly. another 2 pds to go.
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options

That is very dangerous.

I agree, even more so with the exercise. Your body needs way more than 550 calories to be able to do things like get out of bed, take a shower, brush your teeth, prepare the 550 calories worth of food you're putting into it. If you were driving to California from New York, would it be better to start off with a full tank of gas or a quarter of a tank? Even though the check fuel light isn't on on the dashboard, doesn't mean you shouldn't take the time to stop and fill it. If you're filling fast, try eating more calorie rich foods like avocados and nuts. That way, you're getting more bang for your buck and filling that tank!