is starvation mode a myth?

Options
13»

Replies

• CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I believe the poster above that listed a series of questions meant to put "underweight" and not over.

Thank you....

The question that remains is why doctors of people who have done gastric bypass recommend such low calorie intakes if its that dangerous?
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I believe the poster above that listed a series of questions meant to put "underweight" and not over.

Thank you....

The question that remains is why doctors of people who have done gastric bypass recommend such low calorie intakes if its that dangerous?

Often the getting rid if the health issues tied to that level of obesity is worth the risk of an ultra low calorie diet. Additionally obese people do not experience the famine response as quickly and easily as normal weight people due to the large levels of fat stores.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    There's some exceptions to every rule, and I would say the majority of gastric surgery patients are people who don't process food/calories in a normal manner. Surgeons (at least good ones) don't operate on just any person who wants gastric surgery. There's a long list of criteria they must go through to qualify, physically and psychologically. I know one of my friends who had it a year ago (and is doing amazing!) failed to lose weight through any traditional means, and it was negatively affecting her healthy. Blood glucose out of control, crazy high blood pressure, etc. no matter what she ate or how much she exercised. Her nutrition has been very strictly monitored with supplements out the wazoo. Another friend, who is on here, has been working with her doctors for more than 6 months to go through all the loopholes required to get surgery, and is getting it next week.

On the other hand, I knew a woman who didn't qualify via US standards, and had it done in Brazil where they're more lax on their requirements. She had complication after complication after complication, and passed away. :frown:

VLCD and gastric surgery is NOT for the average person. They're extreme measures, for extreme cases.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Anyone that has had Gastric Bypass or Lose it Naturally (like me) have one thing in common, we all was obese, super morbidly obese, or even off the chart (which was me). At one time to maintain my weight at 560 lbs. I had to consume 5000-6000 calories a day just to maintain and of course I was gaining weight so I was eating more like 7000-8000 calories if not more. So whether you get Bypass and go to 500 calories a day or what I went to with my dietician which was around 2000-2500 a day, we had tons of fat to burn as calories so our bodies had no problem giving up those calories. No fast forward 29 months, I have lost 287 lbs. and can walk again so my exercise has increased 10 fold and my body is getting to the point where I have more lean muscle than fat so now calories in vs. calories out is crucial. I can easily run major caloric deficits and put myself into starvation mode and/or I have seen the results of to much cardio and the effects it has on burning pure lean muscle because I wasn't fueling my body with the right amount of calories... Someone of a normal weight can not be comparing their situation with someone at the opposite end of the spectrum when it comes to the overall health factors involved.
  • sharontavares1
    Options
    Starvation mode only applies if you are under 5% body fat for an extended amount of time and your body is depleted of nutrition and WATER resources. I know for me I can not consume more than 800 calories a day no matter how much exercise I get to stay under 130 lbs. Been like that for years, gained weight on every 1200 calorie program I was on, I need to lower that about 50 calories every 5 years.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    This is just my opinion. Take it with a grain of salt.

"We have always been told that never go under 1200 calories a day or your body will hit starvation mode."

I think starvation mode exists. But the 1200 rule is more than just starvation mode. Going below 1200 would make a person more likely to binge and less likely to get their minimum nutrition for the day. It would also lead to a spike in hunger / the hormonal see - saw. As for starvation mode, a lot of people space out mini meals six times per day and swear that it keeps their metabolism humming. It's not just about the calories.

My personal experience is that when I used to hit several 1200 calorie days in a row coupled with exercise, my weight loss would slow to a crawl. I would have to eat just a little more to see the scale drop. Whether this is just water weight or starvation mode is not clear.

' My question is, why does the body not behaive the same as those people who have done gastric bypass? They consume between 300 calories immediately after the op to around 1200 calories around 8months to a year."

I think their bodies do behave in the same way. My genuine opinion as a layperson is that gastric bypass is a terrible way to lose weight if diet / exercise are still an option. I think it is counterproductive to reduce the intestine's ability to absorb nutrients from food. I think it is terrible to bring someone on a 3,000 + calorie diet to less than 500 calories per day within 24 hours. I think anyone dropping to that low calorie plan will shock their body into starvation mode and they will lose muscle mass along the way. Having a small stomach may make a person feel full, but doesn't help when it comes to fruits and vegetables that are high in volume and low in calories.

Slow weight loss coupled with nutrient dense foods and activity is probably the least painful way to lose weight. It is also more sustainable - not only can you hold onto lean muscle tissue, avoiding "skinny fat," but probably deter some of the loose skin issues that seem to happen when people lose a lot of weight quickly. And avoid starvation mode / hunger spikes.

"I have yet to meet a person who has done this op eat calories more than 1600. Is it possible that all the talk about the body hitting starvation mode is a myth. Why is it ok for those people to eat so much less calories, and the rest of us not?"

I think those people lose weight because the calorie cuts are so drastic and they start out morbidly obese, but I would be interested in seeing if they can maintain a healthy body at the end of their weight loss and build lean body mass while consuming the same number of calories that the average person of their height / weight / gender does. Most fit people can do so if they make the right food choices and exercise daily. But what about someone who has essentially dieted long - term at the bare minimum ? They've trained their body to survive on fewer calories and to hold onto every bite. They may have to eat several hundred calories less just to weigh the same as a person who has never crash dieted.
  • EmmaReed84
    EmmaReed84 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    For me, I eat very small portions and barely eat more than 1000 calories, I am trying to get it up to 1200 calories, but I do notice that when I eat my usual 800-900 calories, I am fine, but when I eat 1000+ I feel sick and actually put weight on.

I tried this eat more, lose weight thing and in 3 days I put on 5lbs!!! I have only just lost that gain by eating my lower calorie intake.

Everyone s different and it about finding out what is right for you and your body.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Starvation response is not a myth, but the way "starvation mode" is talked about on MFP is absolute cr@p.

This.

A lot depends on how much you have to lose. The less you eat, the the more careful you need to be about what you eat. For almost seven months, I have averaged 1,040 calories per day. I had one day where I exceeded 1,500. I eat over 100 grams of protein a day, usually over 120. I am 6'3" tall. With exercise, most days my net is about zero. My weight loss has been completely predictable, with no starvation mode. My BMR has slowed by a little more than 10 percent because of the reduced calories, but it has not slowed anywhere near as much as most would have you believe.

I am only fifteen pounds from my goal, and have been supervised by a doctor and nutritionist very closely. Don't try this at home.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    you should have titled this, " Your daily 1200 calorie thread"
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    For me, I eat very small portions and barely eat more than 1000 calories, I am trying to get it up to 1200 calories, but I do notice that when I eat my usual 800-900 calories, I am fine, but when I eat 1000+ I feel sick and actually put weight on.

I tried this eat more, lose weight thing and in 3 days I put on 5lbs!!! I have only just lost that gain by eating my lower calorie intake.

Everyone s different and it about finding out what is right for you and your body.

thisis because you have destroyed your metabolism..........................
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Anyone that has had Gastric Bypass or Lose it Naturally (like me) have one thing in common, we all was obese, super morbidly obese, or even off the chart (which was me). At one time to maintain my weight at 560 lbs. I had to consume 5000-6000 calories a day just to maintain and of course I was gaining weight so I was eating more like 7000-8000 calories if not more. So whether you get Bypass and go to 500 calories a day or what I went to with my dietician which was around 2000-2500 a day, we had tons of fat to burn as calories so our bodies had no problem giving up those calories. No fast forward 29 months, I have lost 287 lbs. and can walk again so my exercise has increased 10 fold and my body is getting to the point where I have more lean muscle than fat so now calories in vs. calories out is crucial. I can easily run major caloric deficits and put myself into starvation mode and/or I have seen the results of to much cardio and the effects it has on burning pure lean muscle because I wasn't fueling my body with the right amount of calories... Someone of a normal weight can not be comparing their situation with someone at the opposite end of the spectrum when it comes to the overall health factors involved.

Everything Ed said. There is a world of difference between ten percent body fat and fifty percent.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    no its definately real... u just have to have been food deprived for a really long time.

i think the biggest thing you are thinking about is metabolic slowdown which occurs anytime you are in a caloric deficit for an extended period of time 4+weeks-ish
  • xjckemx
    xjckemx Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I couldn't imagine eating less than 1200. I want a sustainable level of eating that is a lifestyle rather than a diet. I could drop more weight if I are lots less but once I came off diet and ate more I'd put the weight back on. This has taken me a long time to learn!!! So now weight loss is slow but its happening and I don't starve myself or be miserable from being hungry. And there's nothing I've cut out... Apart from cherry coke love it but plays havoc with my skin and its empty calories.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I consider low days just as bad as high ones it means some where i messed up
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    And today was not a good day very low and not sure what to do about it because i ate a big dinner and i am not hungery
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    Options
    Bump
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I feel like starvation mode is a myth. Why do anorexics, eating so little calories a day, still lose weight?
    I eat, on average, 750-800 a day, and my weight loss hasn't stopped.

Aside from what the other guy said (which is all very true), when you're eating that little it's a pretty sure thing that you're losing more muscle than fat... I myself would rather be a slightly larger 'fit' than to be 'skinny fat'. The point of this website is to learn to obtain and maintain a HEALTHY lifestyle.... which means being healthy... not just fitting into the smallest size possible without literally killing yourself.

Not to defend a diet that low calorie, but why would your body lose muscle instead of fat?? That's why it stores fat in the first place. It is going to burn the fat first for quite a while. It's not smart to do a very low calorie diet because it is not sustainable and the weight must come back to some degree when normal calorie consumption is resumed. Even if it is much lower than the starting calorie amount. Appetite should increase with exercise and should be welcomed as a sign of a healthy metabolism and that your body wants to build some muscle.