Contraception??

2»

Replies

• daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    The best contraception is the one that does not mess up your biology. Green contraception. Check out the Billings method.

A great book on how to control your fertility without harming it is : http://www.amazon.com/Taking-Charge-Your-Fertility-Anniversary/dp/0060881909/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1323527051&sr=1-1

Iunno, somehow this leaves a too much up to chance to me.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    The best contraception is the one that does not mess up your biology. Green contraception. Check out the Billings method.

A great book on how to control your fertility without harming it is : http://www.amazon.com/Taking-Charge-Your-Fertility-Anniversary/dp/0060881909/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1323527051&sr=1-1

Iunno, somehow this leaves a too much up to chance to me.

Have you read the book?
    If you inform yourself and do the method properly it is very effective and leaves nothing "up to chance". It is not the rhythm method...that is completely different and not very reliable. It does take more discipline than a lot of other methods though.

It doesn't really apply to the OP though since she has stated that she is not on the pill for contraception, only to regulate periods. It is still a great read though, and I recommend it to every woman. It really help you understand what is going on with your body.
  • yager8725
    yager8725 Posts: 267 Member
    my doctor and i just talked about this. the pcp CAN slow down weight loss.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    I've lost 28 pounds while on the pill... and do I believe it has slowed down my weight loss.. nope. For most of the journey I've lost a pound a week like planned.. and the week I have my period, of course I don't lose... so I'm losing 3 pounds a month roughly which is normal.

Do I believe the pill makes you gain weight? Nope. I believe that people are so hyped up about it, that when weight gain happens the first thing they blame is the pill... when it could be the pill, plus their eating habits, plus stress, plus lack of exercise/too much exercise.. See where this is going?
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    everyone's bodies reacts differently but i believe for me it has been slowing it down majorly..
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Do you know what really slows down weight loss??? Pregnancy. :laugh:

Even if the pill slows it down, it certainly doesn't stop it, and there's a reason you're taking it. Not to say that there aren't alternatives, but if it's working for you for the reason you're taking it, just be careful before you change things up to something that might not work as well. I'm guessing there are other things slowing down weight loss moreso than this, unless nutrition and exercise are perfect.

Good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    Women have the misconception that NFP is less effective than many other forms. When infact, it is only different to the pill by around 4% With all the other side effects of taking the pill I'm happy to be careful, plan ahead and stay pregnancy free.
  • daffodilsoup
    Have you read the book?
    If you inform yourself and do the method properly it is very effective and leaves nothing "up to chance". It is not the rhythm method...that is completely different and not very reliable. It does take more discipline than a lot of other methods though.

It doesn't really apply to the OP though since she has stated that she is not on the pill for contraception, only to regulate periods. It is still a great read though, and I recommend it to every woman. It really help you understand what is going on with your body.

Frankly no, I have not read the book. I will have to look into it - probably cheaper than my monthly BC anyway. Ultimately I am hoping to get my tubes tied, but this would be interesting in the meantime. Thanks for the information!
  • 4thehardman
    Have you read the book?

I have thought about getting my tubes tied too. I certainly don't have room for anymore kids and I really love my triplets but I don't want another set!
    Frankly no, I have not read the book. I will have to look into it - probably cheaper than my monthly BC anyway. Ultimately I am hoping to get my tubes tied, but this would be interesting in the meantime. Thanks for the information!
  • daffodilsoup

I have thought about getting my tubes tied too. I certainly don't have room for anymore kids and I really love my triplets but I don't want another set!

Could be a good solution then! I have no kids and I don't ever want them, so for the long-term it would probably be a better option anyway. Would be interested in checking that book out in the meantime, though.
  • lobbylobster
    lobbylobster Posts: 33 Member
    The pill messes with your hormones. For some woman, this does cause weight gain. To suggest that messing with one of the most delicate systems in your body can't cause weight gain is foolish. Weight gain was listed as a potential side effect in the info my doc gave me. My friend was actually made to have the injection, because it helps woman gain weight and she was underweight.
    If you're using the pill for contraception, don't stop taking it. It may make things a tad more difficult, but you can still reach your goal weight :D
  • kenzietea
    kenzietea Posts: 614 Member
    I haven't seen any scientific studies linking usage of birth control and weight gain.

have to agree here ^^ https://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&source=hp&q=scientific+studies+birth+control+and+weight+gain&pbx=1&oq=scientific+studies+birth+control+and+weight+gain&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=75l11487l0l11756l52l33l2l12l12l1l254l5706l0.25.8l45l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.,cf.osb&fp=965fe16b077d846e&biw=1280&bih=709

The hormones in birth control aren't so good for your body in general though.
    I understand if medically necessary~ but I suggest the copper paraguard or condoms for those who can afford it and don't need birth control for any medical reasons =)
  • 4thehardman

Could be a good solution then! I have no kids and I don't ever want them, so for the long-term it would probably be a better option anyway. Would be interested in checking that book out in the meantime, though.

If I hadn't wanted children I probably would be dissappointed at the lack of long term non surgical solutions. My sister also does not want to have children, she is 28, and she has tried the coil and the pill but is struggling to find someone to sterilise her. The arrogance of society sadly who expect that she will change her mind!!!!!!!!!
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    it increases your appetite, however it does not automatically make you gain weight. the onus is on the individual to make wise food choices and stop blaming the pill if they dont do so
  • daffodilsoup
    My sister also does not want to have children, she is 28, and she has tried the coil and the pill but is struggling to find someone to sterilise her. The arrogance of society sadly who expect that she will change her mind!!!!!!!!!

This is the most refreshing thing I've ever read - THANK YOU for siding with those of us who are child free by choice. :) It really is frustrating when you bring up the mere mention of the topic and your doctor shuts you down.
  • lobbylobster
    lobbylobster Posts: 33 Member
    Women have the misconception that NFP is less effective than many other forms. When infact, it is only different to the pill by around 4% With all the other side effects of taking the pill I'm happy to be careful, plan ahead and stay pregnancy free.

By my calculations, this makes it much more likely to fail than my pill. Pill= 1 pregnancy in 1000 woman, NFP= 4 pregnancies in 100 woman :/
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member

By my calculations, this makes it much more likely to fail than my pill. Pill= 1 pregnancy in 1000 woman, NFP= 4 pregnancies in 100 woman :/

The pill is not 99.9% effective with typical use. The best birth control is the one you will use properly. For me, the pill screwed up my hormones so badly that I did not ovulate for 18 months after going off it. I am especially sensitive to hormones. FAM is not for everyone, but neither is the pill.