People who were out of shape how did you start?

Options
124»

Replies

• fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Oh, and this probably makes me a total jerk, but I find that it helps me to work out with a smoker. I get really out of breath, and people who smoke do too. They seem to be on the same fitness level as me, and an inexperienced workout buddy makes you feel like if they can do it, you can too.
  • tcraw15
    tcraw15 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I am pretty out of shape and am trying to start working out. I went to a body sculpting class and an aerobics class. After the body sculpting class, I was in pain for 2 whole weeks! It makes it very difficult to continue going to class regularly when I can barely move. Those who are in shape now, how did you start?

Try a C25k. It's a good way to get you up on your feet and running, to build your endurance. :)
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Oh, and this probably makes me a total jerk, but I find that it helps me to work out with a smoker. I get really out of breath, and people who smoke do too. They seem to be on the same fitness level as me, and an inexperienced workout buddy makes you feel like if they can do it, you can too.

:laugh: I like this idea.
  • shortjules
    shortjules Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I actually started with the 30 day shred. I wanted a jump start, and it has worked great! Not for everyone though. It can be intense.

I am actually doing the 30DS as well. It's a good workout, especially if you are short on time. It can be pretty intense. Jillian Michaels makes it 20 minutes of high intensity. The first couple days are rough and you will be a little sore, but once you get to about day 4 the soreness goes away and you definitely notice an increase in your endurance and I actually was noticing results.
  • TNoire
    TNoire Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    what I go by and what I learned =)

females no less than 1200 cals a day men 1800 a day
    Always burn more than you consume for great weight loss
    Your body will always have a certain amount a day you will burn just sitting on your butt
    For example my body alone is roughly 1600 a day just sitting around doing nothing
    I consume around 1200-1400 a day

Low carb is key, heavier carbs in the morning

Whole grains keep you fuller longer & fresh fruit and veggies and lean meats
    Personally I do red meat and taters 2x a week

Remember the heavier you are the more calories you will burn and the smaller you get the harder it gets but we can't let that get us down :)

Like example I gained 195lbs when I quit smoking, I was 135 when I graduated almost 12yrs ago, quit smoking gained weight but didn't get on track til March 2009 when my docs got on my case saying they didn't want me to have a kid til I was at a good weight, October 2010 I lost 156lbs then came stress of buying selling houses, now after my slack phase im back on track in the last month I lost almost 6 lbs :)

I been trying to burn a extra 500-1200 cals a day on top of the 1600 cals and everything else, one thing im trying to watch is sodium and carbs, not trying to burn 4000+ like I was last year a day cause my doc said if im trying to have a baby at the sametime don't over do it just do what I can :)

we can do this =)

Just remember burn more than you eat just don't consume under 1200 cals as long as ur getting 1200 and plenty of water your good :D (1800 for a guy)

Muscle weighs more than fat, muscle burns more fat

3500 cals to put ON a lb
    3500 burned cals to take OFF a lb

If you eat less than those carbs your body will go into starvation mode and store everything & we don't want that!

hope that helps I know it helped me :)

Also set your goals and when you make that goal treat yourself and only half a slice of cake or whatever of a normal serving size

remember fast food/processed food/junk food stay away from it til your treat yourself day for making your goal =)
  • modine43
    modine43 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    just started back into fitness after losing 75 lb last year and putting 40lb of it back on due to ill health and not being able to move. now i'm better I want to lose weight again looking for a buddy to help me and vice verse. I joined a walking / running group at my local park. I walk a mile, and each week try to beat my time, then when I got better I did 2 then 3 miles. I then went to the park 90 minutes per day for 5 days. The running group met 1 once per week. I bought jeans to fit in to, and when I felt like giving up I would try it on and see just how i progress from not getting a foot into it, to getting it up pass my ankles and so forth.