Odd Question for the ladies

Options
13»

Replies

• JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    OK...this might be a little TMI, but here goes anyway. So I think i'm getting a yeast infection and I'm trying to figure out why. Is it possible from not changing my underwear right after working out? The dampness from sweat getting me all icky? Do you change right after a workout?

Yes....I had that problem too. Use a feminine soap, the name escapes me but I'm sure you know what I mean.
  • JeSuisPrest
    Options

Funny... but I get a UTI just about EVERY TIME I've used a pantyliner.

Pantyliners are not very good for you, they do not allow for air flow.

Read here for more info....
    http://www.everydayhealth.com/womens-health-pictures/9-surprising-vaginal-health-mistakes.aspx?xid=nl_EverydayHealthWomensHealth_20111211#/slide-1
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

http://www.everydayhealth.com/womens-health-pictures/9-surprising-vaginal-health-mistakes.aspx?xid=nl_EverydayHealthWomensHealth_20111211#/slide-1

See I wear panty liners and have had no issues.. and there is less stink down there with them. I think it depends on the person really.

To OP:
    If you can't shower right away, its fine. Just change your clothes and go about your business. I do it all the time, and so far haven't had anyone comment on my smell/lack their of.
  • SamMorBelsmom
    SamMorBelsmom Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Also, I didn't read all the post but I use baby powder for around the area after I us a wipe! It soaks the moisture and makes you smell awesome!! And my sister in law doest work out a wink and she gets them a lot! So don't feel bad. They are a part of being a lady. And I have never gotten one but my two and a half year old son when I antibiotics when he was 1.5 and got one and now he has another one, right on his little testies...I feel so awful but antibiotics do that to you.
  • JeSuisPrest
    Options

See I wear panty liners and have had no issues.. and there is less stink down there with them. I think it depends on the person really.

To OP:
    If you can't shower right away, its fine. Just change your clothes and go about your business. I do it all the time, and so far haven't had anyone comment on my smell/lack their of.

The article does mention it is the result of wearing them too often.
  • determinedcrystal
    determinedcrystal Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    You dont have to take any pills or creams use a blow dryer and use it down there it will kill the bacteria no more infection :)
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Yeast infections are pretty common and are not normally the result of poor hygiene. Be sure that the soap you are cleaning with is NOT antibacterial. Your body has a natural bacterial flora. There are healthy bacteria everywhere, from your skin to your intestines. When you use antibacterial products (or take antibiotic medications) you kill the bad bacteria AND the normal bacteria. (This doesn't mean prescription antibiotics are bad but you do have to weigh the risk vs. the benefit).

When the normal population of bacteria decreases, it leaves room for harmful (MRSA) or annoying (yeast) infections to take hold. Contact a doctor if your infection doesn't respond to over the counter treatments or if you suspect it is something other than a yeast infection.
  • BrowneJen
    BrowneJen Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    If none of the above things work ...I use to get a yeast infection every Christmas...figured out after a few years it was the sugar cookies I was making and eating lots of...too much sugar. Just an option to check out??
  • luckybunny84
    Options
    I only get a YI after I take antibiotics, so my question is have you been on any new medications lately. Not all infections are caused by a lack of cleanlyness. people that clean too often tend to get sick more often than those that are okay with a little bit of germs.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    If you're super sensitive, here's what I'd do if you can't go straight home to shower.

Put a long, loose skirt or dress and some baby wipes in a duffel. When you finish your workout, use the wipes, ditch the undies along with your workout clothes, throw on the skirt or dress, and be on your way commando.
  • vespaberrie
    vespaberrie Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    It's very unlikely that sweat or being sweaty is causing your infection. Even if you are sitting in wet clothes for hours after a work out the chances of getting an YI are very very slim.
    I'd suggest your diet, or other habits (sex/medications/detergents) may be the culprit. Everyone has made wonderful suggestions. Seeing your doctor is the best way to get the answers you're looking for.
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    yes i shower and i use cotton underwear. The lacey types hold in moisture and can cause yeast infections
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but you ladies are wrong. You don't get a yeat infection from sweating.

Vaginal yeast infections occur when new yeast is introduced into the vaginal area, or when there is an increase in the quantity of yeast already present in the vagina relative to the quantity of normal bacteria. For example, when the normal, protective bacteria are eradicated by antibiotics (taken to treat a urinary tract, respiratory, or other types of infection) or by immunosuppressive drugs, the yeast can multiply, invade tissues, and cause irritation of the lining of the vagina (vaginitis).

Vaginal yeast infections can also occur as a result of injury to the inner vagina, such as after chemotherapy. Also, women with suppressed immune systems (for example, those taking cortisone-related medications such as prednisone) develop vaginal yeast infections more frequently than women with normal immunity. Other conditions that may predispose women to developing vaginal yeast infections include diabetes mellitus, pregnancy, and taking oral contraceptives. The use of douches or perfumed vaginal hygiene sprays may also increase a woman's risk of developing a vaginal yeast infection.

A vaginal yeast infection is not considered to be a sexually transmitted infection (STD), since Candida may be present in the normal vagina, and the condition does occur in celibate women. However, it is possible for men to develop symptoms of skin irritation of the penis from a yeast infection after sexual intercourse with an infected partner.
  • 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    The lack of personal hygiene on this board disturbs me greatly. :noway: :laugh:
    The lack of tact from this poster disturbs me more.
  • tambamis
    tambamis Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    If the moon is in a proper orbit and I sneeze over my left shoulder twice on Tuesday's at 1:30pm Eastern Standard Time...in other words - these dandy infections can come from many different places.
    Lots of good advice on here, some I have NEVER heard before and some I'm not sure I could ever try. :)

We did accomplish one thing with this tho - one guy will stop going to the gym to check out the hot chicks LOL!

Good luck to you!
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I get them usually after menstruating. I am careful to always wear cotton underwear. I've used the yoghurt on a tampon thing, and it soothes so much, but it does make a bit of a mess.

I shower at the gym a lot (not always, depends on the time I'm there), BUT I always wear thongs so my feet don't get tinea.

GG