OMG, I talked to JILLIAN MICHAELS

Options
As some of you know, I love Jillian Michaels. She has a Sunday radio show where she takes callers with health questions.

Saturday night/early Sunday morning, I was totally blazed at a diner with friends. I guess a few last fumes of MJ were still swirling in my mind, because when I woke up Sunday morning, I thought "OMG, I'll call Jillian!"

My phone was being a douche, but I kept at it. AND I GOT ON!

I asked my question: that I was coming in on the final 15 pounds, but they are hard to take off AND I need to reboot my metabolism (from a period of undereating).

Jillian gave me the scientific lowdown on why the final 15 are so hard to lose (some of it I knew, some of it I didn't). After telling her my age, height, weight, and workout schedule, she gave the following suggestions:

- Use less elliptical/bike but do more running/stairmaster
- Never work out more than 8 hours a week. Keep it to around 5. (including cardio and weights)
- Be a badass in the weightroom--do circuit training
- Up my calories by 10% each week until I get to 1600. Once I've gotten my metabolism stoked and reach my goal, I should be able to eat around 1800-2000, on account of my age and activity level. On non workout days I can maintain at 1600.

I know, I know...I could probably have gleaned all of this from here. But it was so cool to hear it from Jillian herself. Haha, when I listened to a replay of the feed, I sounded so catatonic.

And I am living proof that Jillian's fix-all answer to weightloss is NOT a 1200 calorie diet.

Replies

• Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    As some of you know, I love Jillian Michaels. She has a Sunday radio show where she takes callers with health questions.

Saturday night/early Sunday morning, I was totally blazed at a diner with friends. I guess a few last fumes of MJ were still swirling in my mind, because when I woke up Sunday morning, I thought "OMG, I'll call Jillian!"

My phone was being a douche, but I kept at it. AND I GOT ON!

I asked my question: that I was coming in on the final 15 pounds, but they are hard to take off AND I need to reboot my metabolism (from a period of undereating).

Jillian gave me the scientific lowdown on why the final 15 are so hard to lose (some of it I knew, some of it I didn't). After telling her my age, height, weight, and workout schedule, she gave the following suggestions:

- Use less elliptical/bike but do more running/stairmaster
    - Never work out more than 8 hours a week. Keep it to around 5. (including cardio and weights)
    - Be a badass in the weightroom--do circuit training
    - Up my calories by 10% each week until I get to 1600. Once I've gotten my metabolism stoked and reach my goal, I should be able to eat around 1800-2000, on account of my age and activity level. On non workout days I can maintain at 1600.

I know, I know...I could probably have gleaned all of this from here. But it was so cool to hear it from Jillian herself. Haha, when I listened to a replay of the feed, I sounded so catatonic.

And I am living proof that Jillian's fix-all answer to weightloss is NOT a 1200 calorie diet.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    Do you have a link to the feed??

That's awesome, Phoen!x. :smokin:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    That's pretty cool PF! Hey, what every it takes right?:happy:
  • imworthit
    imworthit Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!
  • imworthit
    imworthit Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!

Not sure how it duplicated - Sorry!
  • astarte09
    astarte09 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I will def use it!
  • Alisha28
    Alisha28 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Awesome, that is how I felt when i worked out with Billy Blanks. I love Jillian Michaels....

Alisha
  • running4myhealth
    Options
    whoa whoa whoa.

you were the girl who called in saying she is 5'8-5'9 and like 135 and fat????
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

Cooooooooool

I just have a question about why u shouldn't work out more than 8 hrs a week?
    I'm not a huge fan but remember catching Gwyneth on Oprah and I thought she said she worked out 1.5-2 hrs per day (one day a week for rest)
    If you are working out smart and eating enough...is more than 8 hrs really terrible?
    I walk (on the treadmill at an average of 4.0) and do yoga and usually aim for working out 1.5 hrs per day.....sometimes I only walk 30min other days 60min and finish off with yoga/stretching...

Kim
  • heal4444
    heal4444 Posts: 709
    Options
    Shut up!!! That's awesome!!! I love her. If I had to pick betw Bob or Jillian to be my personal trainer. I'd pick Jillian. You must be feeling on cloud 9 right now after having talked to her!! Tks for sharing!:happy: :happy: :happy:
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    That is too cool!

I wish we had access to it-the radio program
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    whoa whoa whoa.

you were the girl who called in saying she is 5'8-5'9 and like 135 and fat????

Eww, no! That girl made me shake my head.

The feed is here:

http://www.kfi640.com/cc-common/mediaplayer/playerccas.html?mps=kfiweekends.php&mid=http://a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/18227/1h/cchannel.download.akamai.com/18227/podcast/LOSANGELES-CA/KFI-AM/Jillian021509.mp3?CPROG=PCAST?CCOMRRMID&CPROG=RICHMEDIA&MARKET=LOSANGELES-CA&NG_FORMAT=talk&NG_ID=kfi640am&OR_NEWSFORMAT=&OWNER=&SERVER_NAME=www.kfiam640.com&SITE_ID=616&STATION_ID=KFI-AM&TRACK=

However, I did simplify my situation some, saying I'd just added the stuff up. It would have taken longer to explain my quest to up the calories. I get annoyed at callers who take 5 minutes to explain their lives when it could be summed up in two sentences. Though I admit I was mentally flipping, so I sound weird as all get out.
  • tazzy
    tazzy Posts: 197
    Options
    I heard it I was listening to the podcast this morning she gave you a great answer you must be sooo pleased. For those that dont have access to the radio you can download the podcasts from itunes just type in the right hand corner KFI and then look for sunday and you should see Jillian show there. When she say don't work out for more than 8 hours and never more than 2 hours at a time with 2 rest days per week it is to do with adrenalin and stress hormones which arent good for weight loss - I think.

But yeah you make sure you downlaod the podcast you are so lucky to be able to call her I live in the UK so its impossible.
  • tazzy
    tazzy Posts: 197
    Options
    I just have a question about why u shouldn't work out more than 8 hrs a week?
    I'm not a huge fan but remember catching Gwyneth on Oprah and I thought she said she worked out 1.5-2 hrs per day (one day a week for rest)
    If you are working out smart and eating enough...is more than 8 hrs really terrible?
    I walk (on the treadmill at an average of 4.0) and do yoga and usually aim for working out 1.5 hrs per day.....sometimes I only walk 30min other days 60min and finish off with yoga/stretching...

Kim
    [/quote]

You need to be running not walking or incline training if you are walking ignore the 8 hours as you are not working out at 85% of your max hr which is what I think she is referring to and I dont think yoga would count either different kind of working out.
  • dewpearl
    dewpearl Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    bump - I liked the infos, thanks for sharing
    And, COOL! :drinker:
  • beagle595
    Options
    Thanks for all the info! :flowerforyou:
  • thury
    thury Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Well I just listened to you and so people know and want to jump ahead to hear this it starts at 1:01:20

Congrats and that was a great conversation with a great answer thanks for sharing.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Oh hon, you sounded so GOOD! So intelligent!

JM gave some great advise and sounds easy to talk to!

Have a great night!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    what is up...literally.with her eye brows? I dont get it....did she do that on purpose or what? dont get me wrong...she is smokin hot, but I dont get it
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    what is up...literally.with her eye brows? I dont get it....did she do that on purpose or what? dont get me wrong...she is smokin hot, but I dont get it

Do you EVER have anything nice to say???????????????????????????????????????????????