You love MFP? PROVE IT... what have you done for MFP lately

Options
I've seen hundreds of posts about how much people love MFP. How much they owe MFP for changing their lives, etc. HUNDREDS. But how many of those hundreds have done the one thing they could do to make MFP better? Namely - EDIT INACCURATE FOOD VALUES!

So let's see how much MFPers really love this site and get the database cleaned up and accurate, what do you say? If enough people comment on a thread about adding a stat to our profiles "database corrections made" or something in the site suggestions forum, maybe someone would take notice and realize this could be our way of giving back!

Think this idea could have any traction at all?

Replies

• ashleighjoy2007
    ashleighjoy2007 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Silly question... How do we correct something in the database? I've added things to my diary and double checked the packaging, and I see that whoever put it in the database did it wrong. But Idk how to correct it...
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    GREAT POST!!!
    I've gone in and changed some misspellings. Got overwhelmed with the last project "Banana" and gave up. There were still over 150 corrections to be made just on that word.
    Silly question... How do we correct something in the database? I've added things to my diary and double checked the packaging, and I see that whoever put it in the database did it wrong. But Idk how to correct it...
    Tabs at the top: Food > Database > Search (for a known misspelling or food that you know has another error) > Edit
    Make your changes and note at the bottom what changes you made.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    One of these days I'll actually put the nutrition info up for my garlic cheeseburgers, but all I care about is the calories, and who the heck else around here is going to eat that one anyway?
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,097 Member
    Options
    I wish we could just delete the incorrect entries. Is there someon to contact at MFP to delete incorrect entries?
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    Options
    I just updated the database on two items that always bugged me in the past because they were incorrect!
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    Good idea!
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    One of these days I'll actually put the nutrition info up for my garlic cheeseburgers, but all I care about is the calories, and who the heck else around here is going to eat that one anyway?

Use the foods in the database to create a "recipe" for yourself, then. Different use, different tab, keeps the database cleaner.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    When I log my food and notice that something doesn't have the right numbers, I change it. Its easy as pie to do.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options

If anyone's interested in HOW to edit the database, let me know and I'll do a pictorial tutorial on it when I get home later.

ps by-the-way "yadda yadda PROVE IT" is simply an expression. It's not a mean challenge or anything that should be taken as one.

Actually, I would appreciate the tutorial. I tried to edit something a week or so ago that someone else put in, and it wouldn't save for me.
  • MommyLyssa
    Options
    When I log my food and notice that something doesn't have the right numbers, I change it. Its easy as pie to do.

This :)
  • jenc555
    jenc555 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Daydream, focus on the positives....you respond with kindness to your Mfp friends. Let the other nonsense go....stay strong and stay positive....
  • stevenleagle
    stevenleagle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Daydream is a great Mfp friend (very, very supportive) and she has a great point: a lot of the data is wrong and without all of us doing our bit, it will stay wrong.
  • larat71
    Options
    I think it's a GREAT idea! That one thing alone had me ready to quit almost immediately after joining. I thought, "What's the point in doing this if the data is wrong?" And Daydream is right, if we all pull together and edit a couple of things a day, we can make a HUGE difference! This site is for support and knowledge sharing., not advertising for your own personal gains. If we want a fitness instructor, we will look for one, we don't need to see an ad every time you post. That is one of the reason's that MFP took away our "signatures". People were using them as ad space. (And if you feel this negatively when someone is trying to do something GOOD for the site, then perhaps you should look at yourself and try to figure out WHY it bothers you so much.)

Stay who you are Daydream and remain focused on your goals and your friends. The rest is inconsequential!
  • kimbim60
    kimbim60 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Big smiles... couldn't have said it better!
  • Luthorcrow
    Options
    I have corrected a lot of bad or incomplete items. Just keep in mind we do not have the ability to remove duplicate items etc. It's the downside side to having an open system.

It would be nice if we could see who the last person that edited an entry had the ability thumbs up or thumbs down the accuracy of the entry like you can on plugins on the Wordpress Repository. We already crowd sourcing the data why not allow us to crowd source the ratings.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I've only been using the site for about a week and a half, and I have already edited several entries. Maybe they should have items only available to the person who entered them, until they can be vetted for accuracy.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    Options
    Agreed!
    I think it's a GREAT idea! That one thing alone had me ready to quit almost immediately after joining. I thought, "What's the point in doing this if the data is wrong?" And Daydream is right, if we all pull together and edit a couple of things a day, we can make a HUGE difference! This site is for support and knowledge sharing., not advertising for your own personal gains. If we want a fitness instructor, we will look for one, we don't need to see an ad every time you post. That is one of the reason's that MFP took away our "signatures". People were using them as ad space. (And if you feel this negatively when someone is trying to do something GOOD for the site, then perhaps you should look at yourself and try to figure out WHY it bothers you so much.)

Stay who you are Daydream and remain focused on your goals and your friends. The rest is inconsequential!
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Good idea. Most of my food values are weird Asian foods (well, weird according to many non-Asians lol) that I've created myself, so I know they are accurate. But if I come across something that isn't right I'll try and fix it. :)
  • CnocNaCu
    CnocNaCu Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Actions speak louder than (many empty) words. Count me in, daydream.
    Many of us have recommended this website/app as "so helpful and even FREE". I will give something back by editing obviously wrong entries. Great idea and a different kind of challenge :-)
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    i do, i add my two cents uh huh lol