2»

Replies

• kirstiey
    kirstiey Posts: 243
    Options
    Well done OP it was a lovely supportive community minded idea x
  • monkeymouse74
    Options
    I'm new to this site, and happy to do my bit from the start. PS Great idea...
  • purrmeow
    purrmeow Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    One of these days I'll actually put the nutrition info up for my garlic cheeseburgers, but all I care about is the calories, and who the heck else around here is going to eat that one anyway?

I actually have some garlic patties in the freezer, lol, but I prefer the jalapeno ones.
    When I log my food and notice that something doesn't have the right numbers, I change it. Its easy as pie to do.

Same. :)
  • stephreed11
    stephreed11 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Awesome idea!
    I change the info if I'm entering from the site & see that it's not correct. Wish we could change it from the phone though, that's where I log from most!
  • kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I've seen hundreds of posts about how much people love MFP. How much they owe MFP for changing their lives, etc. HUNDREDS. But how many of those hundreds have done the one thing they could do to make MFP better? Namely - EDIT INACCURATE FOOD VALUES!

So let's see how much MFPers really love this site and get the database cleaned up and accurate, what do you say? If enough people comment on a thread about adding a stat to our profiles "database corrections made" or something in the site suggestions forum, maybe someone would take notice and realize this could be our way of giving back!

Think this idea could have any traction at all?

Great idea!
  • kirstiey
    kirstiey Posts: 243
    Options

Oi big Brother edited my post LOL
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Just a quick of the forum guidelines folks

2. No Hi-Jacking Topics

Please stay on-topic within a forum topic. Off-topic or derogatory remarks are disrespectful. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate.

I have cleaned this thread up, please keep it on topic and civil.

Thanks

CatCrazy
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator
  • spottedlee
    Options
    I wish we could just delete the incorrect entries. Is there someon to contact at MFP to delete incorrect entries?
    Oh my,, i agree 100%! I hate going through several of SAME items with different info on each.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options

Oi big Brother edited my post LOL

Yep, no point deleting "offending" posts if youre leaving in quote upon quote of it.:happy:

Back to OP topic... Yes it is a nice supportive idea - and one that does work. It's too large a task for just a few so if many pull together it will help. Please remember though that the same named product in different countries can have different nutritional values.
  • julzmm
    julzmm Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I do this quite regularly, and its often the sodium contents, the UK goods quite often have Salt content, not sodium, so people miss it off

xxx
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I didn't know there was a difference between salt and sodium? I thought they were the same.
  • vickyplum
    vickyplum Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Hey Deedee

I'm one of those that if I log something and the values are wrong then I will
    change it and say what and why I changed it the other day it was
    something that was only about 15 or 20 cals out but if someone is
    sticking ridgidly to the claorie count that would totally throw you

and thats not a good thing
    but yeah if we all check as we log and edit along the way

great thinking D

V xxxxx
  • pixiesx3
    pixiesx3 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I do often edit items that I find are wrong either in spelling or nutritional info. I also confirm food that I know is correct. I wish the most "confirmed" items came up first in search OR that it was a sort filter! (yes, i think i put that in the tech forum)
  • julzmm
    julzmm Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi CoraGregoryCP, they are the same but are measured different, 1g of Salt = 400mg of sodium, companies use them to confuse us as to the amount that is actually in each product :-)
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I've only been using the site for about a week and a half, and I have already edited several entries. Maybe they should have items only available to the person who entered them, until they can be vetted for accuracy.

The problem with this is that some things are entered accurately and then they change. My ex boyfriend was vegan and we had to read labels every time we bought things, especially for store brand items, because they changed ingredients surprisingly reguarly (probably based on cost/availability I'd imagine).

When I run across something off, I do correct it but I don't assume the person who entered it did it wrong. Also, sometimes it's just information that wasn't included, usually vitamins and minerals. I like to track those and it's really hard with this site because so many people do not enter them.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I've been editing misspellings on the site for a while. Don't know why it bothers me, or why I bother, because I understand people spell words like they sound vs. looking them up for correct spelling.... So far, I've corrected patato (potato), tamato (tomato), rasberry (raspberry) and vinegrette (many versions) for correct spelling of vinaigrette. For the nutritional values, If I have the package with me, I will edit it to be the correct nutritional stats, but most of the time, I have thrown away the packaging and rely only on what's out in MFP. It would be great if the MFP gods would delete off duplicate brand that are for the same food product - otherwise your searching for the correct one.
  • purrmeow
    purrmeow Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've only been using the site for about a week and a half, and I have already edited several entries. Maybe they should have items only available to the person who entered them, until they can be vetted for accuracy.

The problem with this is that some things are entered accurately and then they change. My ex boyfriend was vegan and we had to read labels every time we bought things, especially for store brand items, because they changed ingredients surprisingly reguarly (probably based on cost/availability I'd imagine).

When I run across something off, I do correct it but I don't assume the person who entered it did it wrong. Also, sometimes it's just information that wasn't included, usually vitamins and minerals. I like to track those and it's really hard with this site because so many people do not enter them.

I noticed the same thing with the vitamins and minerals. I think I end up adding that more often than making other corrections. Glad to know you're doing the same. :)
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I've spent hours looking up the nutritional values of foods that I eat regularly and entering them. They are all on the data base as Fiona's nutritional and are as accurate as they can be from googling nutritional data.