Tofu

Options
candycaneps
candycaneps Posts: 340 Member
Okay, so I bought firm tofu last night for the first time. I haven't had tofu, nor have a made anything with tofu in it before and my husband is a picky as heck eater.

Does anyone have some recipes that they love, with tofu, or know ways of making tofu? I don't want to mess this up!

...and how good for you is it....

Replies

• candycaneps
    Options
    Okay, so I bought firm tofu last night for the first time. I haven't had tofu, nor have a made anything with tofu in it before and my husband is a picky as heck eater.

Does anyone have some recipes that they love, with tofu, or know ways of making tofu? I don't want to mess this up!

• kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I have never liked tofu, even when it is well prepared. But I do know that it is VERY easy to mess up, make sure you know what you're doing before you cook it. Follow the recipe exactly. It's a soy product, so it's on par with other soy products health-wise.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

mmm you will find so many awesome ones on the web...I don't have a moment to check it out right now but I'll share some a bit later when I can:happy:

Tempeh is always a great choice, or you could cube it up for salads just the way it is, it takes on flavors you cook with so you can do just about anything with it. :)

I'll check back with you later, I just finished working out and want to down some more water and do some other things.:wink:

FC:heart:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Tofu Cooking Tips
    The most notable thing about the taste of tofu is that it doesn’t have any particular taste. Instead, it takes on the flavors of whatever it’s cooked with. Here are some ways you can use tofu in your favorite recipes and with your favorite foods:

Marinate slices of tofu and bake, grill or broil it.
    Use diced tofu in soups, stews, casseroles, and chili.
    Pan-fry slices or strips of tofu. You can coat the tofu pieces in cornstarch and brown them with a little canola oil in a nonstick skillet or wok over high heat.
    Silken tofu adds creaminess when blended in with salad dressings and creamy sauces, puddings, cream soups, cheese fillings, and more. One package of silken tofu is equal to 1 1/2 cups pureed tofu.

Tofu can add volume to scrambled eggs or egg salad when used half-and-half with real eggs.
    Soft tofu can work as a meat extender when added to ground sirloin or ground turkey to make meatballs, meatloaf, or meat filling.

Silken tofu is enjoyed in the raw in Japanese cuisine, topped with soy sauce or another flavorful sauce. Many in the West prefer it cooked unless it’s being pureed into something.

Tofu can replace half of the fat ingredient called for in cake recipes without compromising flavor and texture, according to a study that tested a 25% to 75% substitution of silken tofu for fat in shortened cakes (cakes that contain fat and a high ratio of eggs to flour).

Previously frozen tofu works well as a meat replacement for chicken, pork, and beef in all sorts of recipes, from stews and stroganoff to fried rice and tacos.

To use less oil when stir-frying or pan-frying tofu, and use a quality nonstick wok, skillet or frying pan. You'll need a lot less oil to keep the tofu from sticking to the pan.

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/tofu-recipes-cooking-tips?page=3
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Vegetable and Tofu Noodle Stir-fry

Ingredients

2 (3 ounce) packages chicken or pork ramen noodles and 1 of the seasoning packets

1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil

1/2 medium cauliflower head (cut away the core; cut the rest into florets)

3 carrots, thinly sliced

1 block firm tofu, diced

2 medium onions, peeled and quartered, then sliced

1/2 small head cabbage, thinly sliced

2 tablespoons light soy sauce

1 teaspoon sesame oil

Preparation

Cook ramen noodles in medium saucepan according to the package directions, then drain well. Add back to saucepan and sprinkle the seasoning over the top of noodles and stir to blend; set aside.
    Heat canola oil in heavy, large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add cauliflower, carrots, tofu, and onions. Cover skillet and cook, stirring frequently until crisp-tender (about 6-8 minutes).
    Spread cabbage over the top of vegetables, stir into vegetables, cover pan, and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until cabbage is softened (about 3 minutes). Remove from heat. Mix in cooked noodles, soy sauce, and sesame oil and serve!
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Breakfast Tofu Burritos

Ingredients:

1 teaspoon canola oil

1/4 cup chopped onion

1/2 cup chopped bell pepper

1/2 cup soft tofu, crumbled (firm tofu can be substituted)

1/2 cup egg substitute (or use 1 large egg beaten with 2 egg whites, if desired)

1/4 cup salsa (mild or hot)

1/4 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese

2, 9-inch multigrain or whole wheat flour tortillas

Garnish (Optional)

1/2 avocado, thinly sliced

1/4 cup fat- free sour cream

Preparation

Add canola oil to medium nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Saute onions, bell pepper, and tofu for about 3 minutes, stirring often.
    Pour in egg substitute and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until eggs are cooked throughout (1-2 minutes). Turn off heat and stir in the salsa and cheese. Cover pan and let sit 1-2 minutes.
    Meanwhile, soften the tortillas by warming in microwave on high for 30 seconds or in a large nonstick frying pan over medium heat.
    Spoon half the egg mixture into the center of one of the flour tortillas and roll up like a burrito. Repeat with remaining tortilla. Garnish each serving with sliced avocado and a dollop of sour cream, if desired.
    Yield: 2 burritos
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    What Can I Do With Tofu?
    The way I see it, there are two types of tofu recipes:

Recipes in which tofu is a mystery ingredient – you might not even know it's in there.
    Recipes that feature tofu, unapologetically, in all its glory.
    I tend to favor the latter types of tofu recipes, but there are times when the gel-like texture of tofu can be blended in to add creaminess and thickness to a dish. There are also times when tofu can act as a filler to extend other, more expensive ingredients, like ground sirloin in a meatloaf.

The tofu recipes below include both kinds of tofu dishes. Try them and see which you prefer.

What Kind of Tofu Should I Buy?
    When standing at the refrigerated produce section of your grocery store, you might be surprised to see how many types of tofu there are: "extra firm," "firm," "soft," and "silken." You’ll want to stick with the type your recipe calls for since there is a major texture difference between the two extremes.

What Kind of Tofu Should I Buy? continued...
    Basically, you want to buy the extra firm or firm tofu if you want the tofu to hold its shape – if you plan to marinate and broil or bake your tofu in slices, or if you are dicing and stir-frying it. If you're blending the tofu with other ingredients to make a smoothie, creamy filling, or spread, or you're using it as a fat replacement in batter or a ground meat dish, you'll want to use the softer or silken tofu.

Here's a primer on the various types of tofu:

Silken. Use this as a creamy, thickening ingredient in smoothies, soups, pasta dishes, dressings and sauces, or as a substitute for mayonnaise or sour cream in some recipes. You'll need a blender or food processor.
    Soft. This is halfway between "silken" and "firm" tofu. Crumble it and use in recipes as an extender or substitute for scrambled eggs, cream cheese, ricotta cheese, or cottage cheese.
    Firm or Extra-Firm. This type of tofu holds its shape well. It's great for grilling, baking, sauteing or stir-frying.

Tips for Storing Tofu
    Once you bring tofu home from the store, keep the unopened tub in the refrigerator until you're ready to use it. If you have some left in the tub after you open the package, it will keep for about 5 days. But there’s a catch: It’s best to store it in a sealed glass or plastic container with a few inches of water.

Trust me: You'll want to use it within a day or two, because you need to change the water in the container every day. If you don’t, well, let’s just say it’s probably one of the worst-smelling items you’ll ever pull out of your refrigerator.

Freezing tofu is also an option. Some people freeze tofu on purpose because once it’s thawed, it has a more porous texture. Some liken this texture to a fish or chicken fillet.
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Dry fry it. This describes it better than I can. It's the best way to start with it. I always leave it between the towels with a weighted cookie sheet or something on it for a bit to squish out more water. Try cooking it with chicken, too, so your hubby's mouth will be confused. I like to do it with whole wheat pasta noodles and a simple peanut sauce made with some hot stock, chili paste, a couple tablespoons peanut butter, brown sugar, lime juice, and soy sauce. Mix it all together (add quick cooked/stir fried veggies) and it's done. I've fooled people in the past into eating tofu this way! :laugh:

http://hubpages.com/hub/How_to_Cook_Tofu_Like_the_Pros
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: Ok, that didn't take long at all, hopefully some of those articles will help yout get started!:flowerforyou: :wink:

http://www.google.com/search?q=cooking+with+tofu&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&ie=utf8&oe=utf8

Lots more great tips from Google up above...I'm sure others will chime in with their fav recipes as well.:happy:
  • candycaneps
    Options
    You are all so awesome =D

I don't know what I would do without you!
  • candycaneps
    Options
    Hmmm. The chicken idea sounds good. He is so weird. He doesn't like spicy or mexican food, vegetables...he has gotten better at it, but I do want to "trick" his mouth because I think most of his dislikes are in his head =D.

How could I add it into a chicken recipe? Would putting it in a spagetti sauce work?
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Does he like stirfry? If so, do half chicken and half dry fried tofu. It has a similar texture. Just marinade the chicken and tofu together so they both have the same flavor. Men are so dang picky!
  • sunflower8926
    sunflower8926 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    There are some great ideas there. My husband is not a big tofu fan, but when I make it fried, with a tiny bit of olive oil, and a generous amount of Tamari or light soy sauce, he can't get enough. I add the sauce while frying, so it gets right into the tofu.

First, rinse your tofu, then cut it into strips about 1/2" thick and 1" wide. Add your oil and a couple of Tbsp of tamari or soy to the pan. Gently fry the tofu just until it starts to brown. Serve with rice and some stir-fry veggies.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    isn't tofu a soy product? if so, do not feed it to your hub...soy is not for men...seriously
  • candycaneps
    Options
    Isn't frying food not good?

Health wise that is.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Isn't frying food not good?

Health wise that is.
    Healthy oils are fine:happy: A bit of EVO works perfect:wink:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    isn't tofu a soy product? if so, do not feed it to your hub...soy is not for men...seriously
    why is that?
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    why is that?

if tofu is soy...I have read more than one article that the estrogen rich soy products can diminish or somehow block or interfere with male testosterone and in extreme cases estrogen from soy can give men man boobs and interfere with muscle tissue development....I dont know for sure but why on earth would a guy take that chance....just my opinion.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    why is that?

if tofu is soy...I have read more than one article that the estrogen rich soy products can diminish or somehow block or interfere with male testosterone and in extreme cases estrogen from soy can give men man boobs and interfere with muscle tissue development....I dont know for sure but why on earth would a guy take that chance....just my opinion.
    excess estrogen can also cause cancer in woman, both breast and cervical particularly if you're at high risk with it in your family history.:ohwell:

That's something newer that I've learned from my Gyno....pretty soon with every food causing some issue it will be a bit more difficult to find much that doesn't cause issues with our body. Between pesticides, crappy chemicals to either create the 'food' or give it shelf life....then top it off with hormones in all the animals, GMO in other foods..

dang, ok, now I'm depressed:cry::ohwell:

Ok, I'll get over it but sometimes you have to just NOT think about all the crap out there, it's tough these days to clean eat...really tough, it can be done but dang why is it such a challenge to find good decent food.

OH YEA...wait, the food industry, corporate farming, yea, ok,

So any good news?:bigsmile: :wink:

• candycaneps
    Options
    Can you use EVOO for stir fry?