• Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Can you use EVOO for stir fry?
    sure, it doesn't take much at all:happy:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    isn't tofu a soy product? if so, do not feed it to your hub...soy is not for men...seriously
    why is that?

if tofu is soy...I have read more than one article that the estrogen rich soy products can diminish or somehow block or interfere with male testosterone and in extreme cases estrogen from soy can give men man boobs and interfere with muscle tissue development....I dont know for sure but why on earth would a guy take that chance....just my opinion.
    excess estrogen can also cause cancer in woman, both breast and cervical particularly if you're at high risk with it in your family history.:ohwell:

That's something newer that I've learned from my Gyno....pretty soon with every food causing some issue it will be a bit more difficult to find much that doesn't cause issues with our body. Between pesticides, crappy chemicals to either create the 'food' or give it shelf life....then top it off with hormones in all the animals, GMO in other foods..

dang, ok, now I'm depressed:cry::ohwell:

Ok, I'll get over it but sometimes you have to just NOT think about all the crap out there, it's tough these days to clean eat...really tough, it can be done but dang why is it such a challenge to find good decent food.

OH YEA...wait, the food industry, corporate farming, yea, ok,

So any good news?:bigsmile: :wink:

FC:heart:

yes ...good news...soy is almost a perfect food FOR DA WOMENS FOLK...it is only de dang males that (in my opinion) should avoid it:smile:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    isn't tofu a soy product? if so, do not feed it to your hub...soy is not for men...seriously
    why is that?

if tofu is soy...I have read more than one article that the estrogen rich soy products can diminish or somehow block or interfere with male testosterone and in extreme cases estrogen from soy can give men man boobs and interfere with muscle tissue development....I dont know for sure but why on earth would a guy take that chance....just my opinion.
    excess estrogen can also cause cancer in woman, both breast and cervical particularly if you're at high risk with it in your family history.:ohwell:

That's something newer that I've learned from my Gyno....pretty soon with every food causing some issue it will be a bit more difficult to find much that doesn't cause issues with our body. Between pesticides, crappy chemicals to either create the 'food' or give it shelf life....then top it off with hormones in all the animals, GMO in other foods..

dang, ok, now I'm depressed:cry::ohwell:

Ok, I'll get over it but sometimes you have to just NOT think about all the crap out there, it's tough these days to clean eat...really tough, it can be done but dang why is it such a challenge to find good decent food.

OH YEA...wait, the food industry, corporate farming, yea, ok,

yes ...good news...soy is almost a perfect food FOR DA WOMENS FOLK...it is only de dang males that (in my opinion) should avoid it:smile:
    no did you read what I shared at the high risk of it being potentially unsafe for women in regards to estrogen levels?

I had never heard of the male issues, you have never heard of the female issues it might cause.... Well aren't we a pair!:laugh:
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    I had never heard of the male issues, you have never heard of the female issues it might cause.... Well aren't we a pair!:laugh:

guess we shouldn't start a bridge building business anytime soon
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    OMG....I give up on all these various studies out there:laugh: :laugh:

I Googled and see it now can cut cancer risks in women. Well that's good but what about the studies regarding high estrogen levels putting woman at risk?

Oh at times info can conflict and be quite confusing:noway:

• Fitness_Chick
    Options
    K, my last Google of the night......lol

Soy can benefit men
    Soy can cause ill effects on men
    Soy can improve men's heart health
    Soy can cause cancer in men

Yea ok, whatever on all the articles, who knows who even writes them all!:laugh:

So man boobs can be taken care of by Kramer and George Costanza's Father with the 'Bro'........ perhaps they had read a study on Soy, well, no wait, He already had a male boob issue, he DIDN'T read the study?:laugh: :laugh:

• Dave198lbs
    Options
    K, my last Google of the night......lol

Soy can benefit men
    Soy can cause ill effects on men
    Soy can improve men's heart health
    Soy can cause cancer in men

Yea ok, whatever on all the articles, who knows who even writes them all!:laugh:

So man boobs can be taken care of by Kramer and George Costanza's Father with the 'Bro'........ perhaps they had read a study on Soy, well, no wait, He already had a male boob issue, he DIDN'T read the study?:laugh: :laugh:

I used to think watching Seinfeld could solve all my problems....if I catch it on, I still watch it...oh those were the days my friend I thought would never end...HEY...I could be adang songwriter...ooops...think itis already....oh well.....no tofu parties for me....eat clean, work hard and be happy
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    http://www.soymilkquick.com/shouldmenworry.php
    "If you're like me, you've probably heard the rumors about soy. That it can make men infertile or that it has a feminizing effect. You might be thinking twice about the amount of soy you're eating, or possibly wondering whether you should drink soymilk at all!

Well, you can stop worrying. While the soy debate rages on, the important facts have been verified. The short story is, no, soy doesn't have any kind of feminizing effect on men - although experts recommend eating whole soy foods, such as tofu and soymilk, rather than extracts and isolated proteins. The Asian countries where whole soyfoods are consumed regularly don't seem to be having population problems! "

Thanks Kristie for looking that up:happy:

• Dave198lbs
    Options
    thanks kristie..I took a look...it does say soy eating men have lower levels of the big T and I dont want lower levels even if lower levels are safe...thanks....I stand by my opinion...dont feed it to hub

stubborn Dave
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    thanks kristie..I took a look...it does say soy eating men have lower levels of the big T and I dont want lower levels even if lower levels are safe...thanks....I stand by my opinion...dont feed it to hub

stubborn Dave
    So basically what you're REALLY saying then Dave is you're not up to the idea of ordering a 'male bro'?:tongue::laugh:
  • sunflower8926
    sunflower8926 Posts: 485 Member
    Options

stubborn Dave

I appreciate the concern:heart: , but we only have tofu once in a long while. My husband is a carnivore and I just try to break it up once in a while with some vegitarian dinners. Thanks:smile:
  • Annika
    Annika Posts: 55
    Options
    Dry fry it. This describes it better than I can. It's the best way to start with it. I always leave it between the towels with a weighted cookie sheet or something on it for a bit to squish out more water. Try cooking it with chicken, too, so your hubby's mouth will be confused. I like to do it with whole wheat pasta noodles and a simple peanut sauce made with some hot stock, chili paste, a couple tablespoons peanut butter, brown sugar, lime juice, and soy sauce. Mix it all together (add quick cooked/stir fried veggies) and it's done. I've fooled people in the past into eating tofu this way! :laugh:

http://hubpages.com/hub/How_to_Cook_Tofu_Like_the_Pros

I used the dry fry method last night - before I saw this thread! I just decided on a whim to buy tofu and see if I could cook it myself. I worked at a summer camp once where the cook served tofu with the staff favorite: HP Sauce! It was great, I loved it served that way.
    After trying the dry fry method, I think that is the way she did her tofu as well. If your picky eaters are fans of HP Sauce, or some other steak/rib/bbq sauce you might be able to get away with some small sticks of it dry fried with the sauce as a dipper!
  • dewpearl
    dewpearl Posts: 561 Member
    Options

Yeah: moderation saves the world!

Besides, Dave, do all Asian guys have boobs? Kum on!!! And in China they eat loads of Tofu/Soy stuff, to my knowledge. Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating for Soy, I heard it's a pretty controversed subject.

So before we freak out about food, let's just eat stuff in moderation :wink: .
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

Besides, Dave, do all Asian guys have boobs? Kum on!!! And in China they eat loads of Tofu/Soy stuff, to my knowledge. Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating for Soy, I heard it's a pretty controversed subject.

no they dont, but and NO OFFENSE, they are short and small (in general and that isnt a slam) is it the soy? dont know, but just seeing that ingredient scares me and I honor my few fears:smile:
  • beauplr
    Options
    Seriously, there are a lot of great tofu recipes on the web. I'm not a vegetarian, but eat that way most of the time. Three sites that have great instructions for tofu and recipes are Vegweb.com, Justbento.com, and its sister site Justhungry.com.

If you are interested in using more tofu in your diet start with the primer at Justhungry. Maki explains all the different varieties that are available and gives advice for preparing and using tofu.

http://www.justhungry.com/looking-tofu

I think adding tofu to food is easier that starting with Mochi Tofu or tofu salads. Adding tofu to scrambled eggs is easy and little seasoned salt makes it invisible to the tastebuds. But other receipes are great too. At Justbento, Maki, has posted many recipes for mini burgers...

http://www.justbento.com/handbook/recipe-collection-mains/tuna-tofu-miso-mini-burgers

http://justbento.com/bento-no-26-mini-meat-and-tofu-burgers-spinach-sesame

http://www.justbento.com/handbook/recipe-collection-mains/mediterranean-flavored-green-vegan-burgers

We are having the Mediterranean Burgers for dinner Tuesday. I haven't tried that one before, but a recipe from Justbento has not failed me yet.

Remember to follow the directions for preping the the tofu. Draining is essential. Too much moisture causes the other food not to stick to the tofu. I wrap the tofu in paper towel and then a clean dish towel and press between plates. If I need the tofu really dry I'll put a large Pyrex glass measuring cup filled with water on the top plate while I prep the rest of the food. It's routine now... prep tofu first.

And a little side note in favor of tofu...What did my very soon to be 19-year-old daughter request for her birthday dinner... mochi tofu & cucumbers and hand rolled sushi. Yum... can't wait for Sunday dinner!
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options

, they are short and small (in general and that isnt a slam) is it the soy?

:huh: are we SERIOUS HERE DAVE?? OMG I can't believe someone just compared eating soy to a person's culture and stature?!!!:noway: This sounds like when someone comments and says "No offense...but........" and then goes on to say it anyway:ohwell: :noway:

Dave, no way do you have to eat food you're not interested in eating:tongue: but OMG please consider this site is multi-cultural and folks from all over are members...but to say something in particular is causing them to be short and small framed because they eat Soy as part of their culture??

I'm seriously at a loss here:noway: :huh: :frown:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options

stubborn Dave

I appreciate the concern:heart: , but we only have tofu once in a long while. My husband is a carnivore and I just try to break it up once in a while with some vegitarian dinners. Thanks:smile:
    :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options

:drinker: :flowerforyou: :heart: :wink:
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

, they are short and small (in general and that isnt a slam) is it the soy?

:huh: are we SERIOUS HERE DAVE?? OMG I can't believe someone just compared eating soy to a person's culture and stature?!!!:noway: This sounds like when someone comments and says "No offense...but........" and then goes on to say it anyway:ohwell: :noway:

Dave, no way do you have to eat food you're not interested in eating:tongue: but OMG please consider this site is multi-cultural and folks from all over are members...but to say something in particular is causing them to be short and small framed because they eat Soy as part of their culture??

I'm seriously at a loss here:noway: :huh: :frown:

I am often insensitive and more often stupid. I regret what I said about this. The fact that I have a poster of Bruce Lee above my weight bench as inspiration is something only I would know. There is no excuse for my insensitive remark and I truly regret it. The no offense but....then say it anyway line is true. Any damage I have caused is probably not going to be reversed by mere words. I truly am sorry for being so insensitive.
    Dave