Does anyone still use the Slimfast drink method?

Just curious.

Pros and cons?

Replies

• HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Cons: Expensive. Needless. Cuts out foods. Stops you having what you want, when you want.

Pros: Supposedly nutritionally balanced.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    I can't think of any pros, but it has very little nutritional value. If you're really into the idea of swapping food for a drink, a protein shake is a much better way to go.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    I prefer to eat my food but have had a slim fast for dinner when I've just completely pigged out for lunch. It's expensive and has little nutritional value.
  • erzille
    erzille Posts: 524 Member
    Never worked for me..I love food.
  • I did Slimfast when I was 15 or 16.....WORST thing EVER (for me anyways). It was the only fad diet I ever tried, and for that I'm glad. I feel much better when I eat well and exercise. Slimfast made me tired and even though I lost weight quickly, I put it all back on as soon as I started eating normally. Plus it's EXPENSIVE! All my babysitting money went to that for the small amount of time that I did it.

I have a friend who constantly "diets" with whatever craze is out there currently. She yo-yos a lot and the eating habits never really change. When I lost weight last time, I did it through diet and exercise and even though I gained it all back, I was healthy and still ate like a normal person :-)
  • Amyeeeeeee
    Amyeeeeeee Posts: 93 Member
    i like it but it is expensive and Im a college student. It also does a number on your stomach and gives you the runs here and there. thats not healthy. Protein shakes are better!!!!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Somebody must do, they're still on the shelves.

Pros - easy
    Cons - you'll learn nothing and put the weight back on

The biggest con for me was when I did it when I was 18. I lost 35lb in 5 weeks. I'm still covered with the scars. I then put the weight back on plus more.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    I have one of the shakes for breakfast sometimes because they are delicious.
  • valz2000
    valz2000 Posts: 78 Member
    I add a scope of protein powder to slimfast in the mornings when I don't have time to eat breakfast... Not the best in the world but better than nothing
  • This is bad I know, but I used slim fast when I was first prego with both my kids because I couldn't hold anything else down. Plus the doc told me to because I was actually losing weight ( he told me another type of meal replacement but I couldn't hold that down either) Otherwise for weight loss I haven't used it!!!
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Pros:.......... hmm..... convenient.

Cons: they taste like metal, expensive, better substitutes out there, they don't really teach you anything as far as eating right, temporary.
  • tchrnmommy
    tchrnmommy Posts: 342 Member
    I usually keep a 6 pack around from time to time when I know I'm going to be busy I'll use one as a meal replacement. But I don't follow the program. Even when I tried to follow the program way back when I didn't follow the program. I like to chew! LOL
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    180 calories for breakfast and lunch? No way!!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    As far as junk food goes, there are much more delicious options than slimfast
  • SabrinaG1986
    SabrinaG1986 Posts: 135 Member
    Sometimes I have one for breakfast cause I don't like eating in the mornings.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    I used it for my first 100 lbs. It was a little pricey but worth it for me simply because it did work. I worked third shift at the time and had a shake as my lunch for work and my dinner when I got home I used the powder mostly. When it went on sale I would stock up. Then they changed the product. It did not taste the same and seemed less satisfying. I went off it. I still do a simple protein shake every now and then.

I have to say also that my doctor recommended it along with a diet plan. I did not just rely on the SF to lose the weight. I learned to cook healthier, exercise more, pay attention to how much I was eating, when I was eating, and most of all WHY was I eating.
  • Never worked for me. I was always hungry. So I would drink the SF and then eat a meal.
  • Teeli
    Teeli Posts: 13
    think your Slimfast is the equivalent of our Optifast. I use it every second day and eat normaly but wisely on the other day.I find it convenient and a way of making sure my calorie intake zigzags.Plus, I know, I'm weird, but i LIKE it.:smile:
  • pfeiferfit
    pfeiferfit Posts: 138 Member
    Friend of mine does it when anxiety keeps her from eating - just to ensure she doesn't starve. So it's not her weightloss thing, it's her weightgain thing.

I gotta get her some protein powder. ;)
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    I did it for a week a couple of years ago. I lost the same amount of weight that I did during a week of healthy eating and exercise.