reducing belly flub

Options
I did a weight loss challange with my neighbors and during the challange I was able to drop almost 15 pounds and a pant size. However now that I'm wearing the smaller jeans that fit me all over I have excess belly flub hanging over the waistband of my jeans and just makes me look chubbier. I tend to wear the bigger jeans becaue they don't make my pudge hang over. Does anyone have any sugestions on shrinking this overhang? I workout daily (usually elliptical for cardio and p90x ab ripper) I just can't get rid of the over hang......maybe reducing my sugar?? I'm new to this and only have about 30 more pounds to loose and this belly flub is driving me nuts!!

Replies

• kissoffools
    Options
    From everything I've learned, belly fat is the hardest to lose. I've lost 30lbs with another 25 to go, and my stomach is where I now carry most of my fat! It's definitely frustrating. I've also had several trainers tell me that doing ab exercises, while they're great for your ab muscles, will NOT get rid of the layer of fat that's currently resting on top of them. (Bummer, eh?! I am fairly sure that under my chubby belly, I have a six pack from all the ab workouts I've done.) All-over cardio will be the best thing to reduce the fat everywhere in your body, including your belly. I'd suggest trying to change up your cardio - maybe try something other than the elliptical, or add some more/different cardio workouts along with what you're already doing. And be patient! It'll get smaller as your weight goes down. :)

If I do happen to be wrong about this, and there ARE exercises specifically designed to get rid of belly fat, someone let me know! I would LOVE to do those! :p
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    It also has a lot to do with what you are eating. I have heard a lot of ppl say they are built in the kitchen. But I really don't know which foods to cut back on though. Good luck!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    can't spot reduce, just maintain a consistent caloric deficit and it will eventually be lost
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    People are undoubtably going to post in here giving you miracle cures to belly flab: eat 12 bananas a day while doing situps in a chicken costume and listening to motivational speeches backwards.....:yawn:

It's all crap! Keep doing what you are doing and eventually all will sort itself out :wink:
  • Nattiejean57
    Nattiejean57 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    can't spot reduce, just maintain a consistent caloric deficit and it will eventually be lost

Look at his abs, i would do whatever he says
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    need to maintain a calorie deficit. probably cut back a little on (processed) sugars. crunches do nothing.
  • mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Based on a recommendation from a friend on MFP I am trying something with spanx but it is not spanx. So she lost about 200 pounds and was able to reduce the belly flab by wearing spanx to control and assist the muscles in getting the tone back. Again not saying this is going to work but for the last two months I have been wearing a rubber belt that I got from WalMart that is about 8" wide and it wraps around my belly. I wear it only during workout and it really makes that area sweat. I figure in about 6 more months I should hit my goal and see if it worked. In any case it can't hurt.
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Says he with the amazing abs…just saying…
  • wildestian
    wildestian Posts: 188 Member
    Options

Agreed
  • Schmoopy11
    Options
    People are undoubtably going to post in here giving you miracle cures to belly flab: eat 12 bananas a day while doing situps in a chicken costume and listening to motivational speeches backwards.....:yawn:

It's all crap! Keep doing what you are doing and eventually all will sort itself out :wink:

Wow! There isn't one post like that.....
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Moderate calorie deficit, good nutrition, regular exercise, persistence and time.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Spot reduction just doesn't happen. An overall loss of body fat is the answer - I hate that!
    We can spot tone muscles but not fat. Keep punching away, and in time that pudge will evaporate.

It takes time.
  • rowenadziubla
    rowenadziubla Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Glad I read this post!
  • Sd0510
    Sd0510 Posts: 295 Member
    Options

LOL!! I agree.
  • pkgeihs
    pkgeihs Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I Have noticed that as I continue to lose,my belly is getting smaller. When I started I looked like I was about 12 months pregnant....with triplets! Now I look like I have spit them out and just need to get rid of the post baby fat. I am not doing any particular exercise although I am trying to "suck it in" as much as I can, especially when sitting at my desk and I can tell a difference. Good luck!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Give it time, it will come.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Cut out the wheat, and wheat-based products. That gets rid of the bloat.
  • Irene8509
    Irene8509 Posts: 381 Member
    Options

You mean the chicken costume doesn't work. Well hell!!!
  • ElementalEscapee
    ElementalEscapee Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    ^^
  • lcoreo5
    lcoreo5 Posts: 216 Member
    Options

agreed!