Logging in But not Logging

Options
Will someone explain to me why they log in every day, in order to keep their log-in day number, without actually logging any food? And another thing, people complaining that they forgot to log in for a day, and want their number reset to make it look like the didn't miss a day????

Am I missing something?
Isn't the point of this site to count calories and log your food?
It is a little silly to see people congratulating each other for their log in days when you actually look at their diary and they don't log any food.................

Replies

• karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Guilty as charged. I like to keep my # of days logged in current because it grounds me to when I started. Even during times when I'm struggling to make choices that I'm not ashamed to journal.
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    LOL I log in to keep myself motivated so I don't loose site of what I am doing. I have not been logging though and I am restarting today! Oh and I also did that one step further and marked it so the site does not say how many days I have logged in a row. But I did leave the one that will tell you if I don't log in :) For I saw myself just coming on here to make sure I did not loose a day :) Love Ya Bear!
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I updated my settings so it doesnt show days logged in.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    because i come here to read the forums, as an exercise diary, keep up with people ive got to know etc. I used to log food but dont anymore, but dont feel like leaving the site
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    because i come here to read the forums, as an exercise diary, keep up with people ive got to know etc. I used to log food but dont anymore, but dont feel like leaving the site

^ this,I no longer log food either but couldnt really care about my number of days.I do not log in everyday just so i dont lose that number
  • ChrisStoney
    ChrisStoney Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Big Bear- keeping everyone honest! I agree it is kind of annoying to have a counter for how many consecutive days you logged in.. I thought it was good, but if you have life, you are going to miss a day here and there.... Also people who don't log food, don't exercise, and don't weigh in- but want the counter on.... OK?? Anyway everyone is at thier own level, and I am glad to have them motivating me and glad they are showing interest... and the people who are dieting and exercising circles around me-- thanks for putting up with me :-)
    I have too many responsibilities, I don't want to add another artificial one- so I took the counter off..
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I removed someone who had been logging in (religiously) for over 120 days, allegedly was under everyday in calories(diary locked) and had in that time gained 1.4 lbs................just seems silly. I can understand the forum time, but people posting requests to get their "days logged in" number changed because they forgot to log in??????????? SILLY..........if something that minor is going to derail you, then you seriously need to reassess things...........
  • onmywaytoskinny155
    onmywaytoskinny155 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Do you need a hug this morning.
  • albinogorilla
    Options

You offering?
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    My diary is not open and if you don't hit "complete" it won't show you as completed, even if you do log in and log the food. I rarely do the complete the diary thing but log just about every day.
  • ChrisStoney
    ChrisStoney Posts: 479 Member
    Options

You offering?

You two need to get a room...
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I like seeing the number going up - and I'm looking forward to it ticking over a whole year of days logged in without missing one.
    But, then, I'm a numbers kind of girl - I like charts and graphs and numbers and ticking off goals. If these things don't interest you, then I can see why the "days logged in" wouldn't do much for you.

Obviously, just the act of logging in hasn't made me lose weight, but it has been useful to keep my focus on what I need to do to maintain a healthy weight. I haven't missed any whole days of logging, though there certainly are some that are not completely accurate, but they are a good enough estimate, that I can live with it. If I was only logging on each day to see the number go up and not using any of the features of the site, that would seem like cheating and I wouldn't get any satisfaction from the number.

I guess it comes down the fact that different things motivate different people. Whatever it is, don't knock it!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I go in spurts with logging and not logging. I'm currently in maintenance and sometimes logging becomes obsessive to me. I stop logging for awhile and just live my life. If I feel like I am spiraling out of control, I will go back to logging. Also, if I'm seeing a gain on the scale or I gained and won't drop back down - I'll log for awhile to see what is going on (I can usually figure out the problem by simply seeing what I'm eating, how much water I'm consuming or what pain meds I've been on - as pain meds make me retain water).

Right now, I log in mostly to check on my friends and their progress.

Once I start losing weight again, it'll be different. But, for now... I log in to check on them and do occasionally log my food - but not always. Some days I start logging and slack off. Or I'll skip logging for a few days.
  • KOrogue
    Options
    Totally agree. The main reason I use this site is to keep track of EVERYTHING.
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Will someone explain to me why they log in every day, in order to keep their log-in day number, without actually logging any food? And another thing, people complaining that they forgot to log in for a day, and want their number reset to make it look like the didn't miss a day????

Am I missing something?
    It is a little silly to see people congratulating each other for their log in days when you actually look at their diary and they don't log any food.................

I used to log my calories and then I read the book, The Pleasure Trap by D. Lisle and he changed my way of thinking.

Here's a brief summary.

When you look at animals in the wild (wild animals), do you see them count calories? Have you ever seen a bird so fat that they couldn't fly? They instinctively know how much to eat without gaining weight. Humans also used to do this, that is eat until we were full and then stop eating.

Somewhere along the way, we lost this ability.

After I lost my weight, I am trying to eat, only natural foods (meaning not-processed) as much as possible and to go back to relying on my stomach and not mfp's calorie counter database.

So mfp does have a place, it is a tool but I would rather have my body tell me when to eat and when not to eat.

Hope that makes sense.
  • MySlimGoals
    MySlimGoals Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I set mfp as one of my homepages (I have more than one homepage on my browser). For a while there I gave up mfp but it was still logging me in every day when I turned my browser on. Anyway, I'm back and I'm logging my food and exercise daily.
  • MySlimGoals
    MySlimGoals Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I set mfp as one of my homepages (I have more than one homepage on my browser). For a while there I gave up mfp but it was still logging me in every day when I turned my browser on. Anyway, I'm back and I'm logging my food and exercise daily.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options

Am I missing something?

You use this place for what you want to use it for and let them use it what they want to use it for... I'm not sure why it bothers you so much! Sometimes people go through rough times and logging in and seeing other people's posts may just be enough to keep them on track. Logging calories won't make you gain or lose weight nor will not logging them. Maybe they don't feel the compulsive need to be obsessed and log it all... I don't blame them. Sometimes it's wearing. That said, I log in every day and log every calorie and bot of exercise. Just leave them be. It can be used however the end user wants!
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I go in spurts with logging and not logging. I'm currently in maintenance and sometimes logging becomes obsessive to me. I stop logging for awhile and just live my life. If I feel like I am spiraling out of control, I will go back to logging. Also, if I'm seeing a gain on the scale or I gained and won't drop back down - I'll log for awhile to see what is going on (I can usually figure out the problem by simply seeing what I'm eating, how much water I'm consuming or what pain meds I've been on - as pain meds make me retain water).

Right now, I log in mostly to check on my friends and their progress.

Once I start losing weight again, it'll be different. But, for now... I log in to check on them and do occasionally log my food - but not always. Some days I start logging and slack off. Or I'll skip logging for a few days.

exactly
  • albinogorilla
    Options

Am I missing something?

You use this place for what you want to use it for and let them use it what they want to use it for... I'm not sure why it bothers you so much! Sometimes people go through rough times and logging in and seeing other people's posts may just be enough to keep them on track. Logging calories won't make you gain or lose weight nor will not logging them. Maybe they don't feel the compulsive need to be obsessed and log it all... I don't blame them. Sometimes it's wearing. That said, I log in every day and log every calorie and bot of exercise. Just leave them be. It can be used however the end user wants!

Here is my problem, a bunch of people blindly giving each other "attaboys" for bad eating habits. It seems silly to me, for a bunch of people to be sitting around patting each other on the back for not doing anything. And the MOST ridiculous thing, which i have seen numerous times, is some nitwit complaining in the forums that they missed a day logging, and now they want the admins to reset their number so it looks like they never missed a day...............that is the stupidest thing I ever heard. I constantly see people getting their "attaboys" for staying under their calorie goal, and saying thanks, then look at their log, and they had a diet pepsi and an apple all day. And on top of that, they never lose any weight. Long story short...............The point of the site to me, is to log food, and to offer support and any assistance i can based on personal experience. I am not here to sit around, eat a whole box of oreos, log a diet soda and an apple then sit back and enjoy my false praise from a bunch of people i dont know. I dont need that. I just dont understand what people are getting out of this site that do that................I am NOT referring to people with little to no weight to lose that use the site socially, but more to those that have a LOT of work to do, and are just not getting it.