Salad Topping Ideas!

Options
I am looking for a list of salad topping ideas. What is your favorite combination of salad topping?! Right now I am just midlessly throwing a varity of items on top of my salad and today I did not master a delicious combination. . . its kinda yuk!! :noway:

11527915.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• SuperKatie
    SuperKatie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Blue cheese, beet walnut.

Cranberry, pumpkin seed and feta.

Tomato, cucumber, kalmata olive, feta.

Goat cheese, cranberry, jicama.
  • tweatherford11
    tweatherford11 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Spinach w/Blueberries, Goat Cheese and Pecans.

Dried Cranberries w/Walnuts.
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Here are some things i use in my salads:
    sunflower seeds, almonds, peanuts, dried cranberrys, cucumbers carrots, bell peppers red onion,chick peas, pickled banana peppers, chicken, boiled eggs, Broccoli, scallions, Roasted red peppers , pickles, apples

I find for spinach salad if i put onions, cranberrys, almonds, bell peppers, boiled eggs, cucumbers.. its a nice combination..
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Baby spinach, sliced apples, grilled chicken, shredded cheddar, roasted sliced almonds, and raspberry vinaigrette. Nomz.
  • cdemoura14
    Options
    Starkist Yellowfin Tuna, Apples, Mandarin, Cukes, Almonds/Walnuts, Roast Beef, Taboule
  • AskingTooMuch
    AskingTooMuch Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I like to add tuna, avocados, seeds, nuts, dried fruit, goat cheese...and combinations of them all.
  • mrsfortune
    mrsfortune Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Was just looking for some ideas myself...bump!
  • gemini2267
    gemini2267 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    blue cheese crumbles, craisin, apples and almond. sooo good, u dont need any dressing. maybe a little. lol
  • Lolamako
    Lolamako Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Spring mix with cranberries, pears, maple roasted pecans and a very tangy balsamic dressing.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    My favorite that I still haven't gotten sick of in over 4 months is:

Mixed salad greens
    1/2 ounce of Montchevre Basil & Onion Goat Cheese
    1/2 serving Hidden Valley Ranch Light Dressing
    1 ounce cherry tomatoes (or grap) cut in half
    1 ounce Peppadeux peppers chopped up
    1 ounce yellow peppers chopped up

My husband does the same as above but used blue cheese instead and adds baby bella mushrooms.
  • cmkile1003
    cmkile1003 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I use salad dressings made by Walden Farms that are calorie free, sugar free, fat free, carbohydrate free, gluten free, & cholesterol free. They have Caesar, Honey Dijon, Bleu Cheese, Italian, & Thousand Island. They actually taste pretty good. I also use Hannah Tzatziki Dip from Costco.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    first off, find a dressing that you really like. i allow myself full-fat dressings because they are much tastier and the rest of my diet is relatively low-fat so i think it's ok. now here are a couple of my favorite combos:

taco salad: cook ground turkey in advance with taco seasoning (i make my own seasoning to cut down on soduium- just add garlic power, cumin, peppper, cayenne, a dash of paprika, onion power, and mexican oregano - find at a latin foods market). sprinkle ground turkey over bed of mixed greens with diced red onion, bell peppper (any colors you like), a small amount of shredded cheese, tomato, shredded carrots and avocado. top with salsa and warm ground turkey mix. no need for dressing! (you can mix salsa and ranch if you want for a salsa ranch dressing). or, if you prefer a less spicy option, add 1/8 can of diced tomatos with green chiles instead of salsa.

chop salad: thick cut carrots, tomato, avocado, bell pepper, red onion and avocado on mixed greens with ranch dressing

feta salad: mixed greens, feta, diced bell peppers, avocado, sliced hard boiled egg, blue cheese dressing

tuna salad: bed of spinach, 1/2 can tuna (drained), avocado, tomato, hard boiled eggs, sliced ucumber, sliced red bell pepper, chopped red onion, feta with balsamic dressing (make your own with a splash of balsalmic vinegar, a splash of olive oil and a bit of ground pepper)

salmon salad: bed of spinach, 1/2 can salmon (drained), green or red onion, shredded carrots, almond slices, cherry tomatoes, avocado if you like, sesame ginger dressing

barbecue chicken/pork salad: cook chicken or pork in advance. shred and coat with barbecue sauce. prepare bed of mixed greens, shredded carrots, diced red onion, black beans, corn, and avocado. add warm chicken on top with about 1tbsp of barbecue sauce. no other dressing needed!

i had many salad mishaps at first too making some pretty 'yuk' salads. a few tips i can offer are that the way you chop things definitely make a big difference. for example, onions in certain salads should be diced very finely but in other salads a thick chop might be better. experiment with how you cut things for optimum flavor. secondly, feta cheese can make almost any salad taste a whole lot better. third, when i try and come up with new salads i think of meals i already like (i.e. tuna sandwich or barbecue chicken) and think of how i can turn it into a salad. if i know the flavor combination works, i just have to figure out how to make it work as a salad. finally, i try and keep a few things in the pantry that make good salad toppers incase i'm runing low on fresh ingredients- frozen or canned peas, corn, black beans, white (cannelini) beans, kidney beans, water chestnuts, canned diced tomatoes, etc. all make great additions to salads in a pinch.
  • megansoriano
    Options
    first off, find a dressing that you really like. i allow myself full-fat dressings because they are much tastier and the rest of my diet is relatively low-fat so i think it's ok. now here are a couple of my favorite combos:

taco salad: cook ground turkey in advance with taco seasoning (i make my own seasoning to cut down on soduium- just add garlic power, cumin, peppper, cayenne, a dash of paprika, onion power, and mexican oregano - find at a latin foods market). sprinkle ground turkey over bed of mixed greens with diced red onion, bell peppper (any colors you like), a small amount of shredded cheese, tomato, shredded carrots and avocado. top with salsa and warm ground turkey mix. no need for dressing! (you can mix salsa and ranch if you want for a salsa ranch dressing). or, if you prefer a less spicy option, add 1/8 can of diced tomatos with green chiles instead of salsa.

chop salad: thick cut carrots, tomato, avocado, bell pepper, red onion and avocado on mixed greens with ranch dressing

feta salad: mixed greens, feta, diced bell peppers, avocado, sliced hard boiled egg, blue cheese dressing

tuna salad: bed of spinach, 1/2 can tuna (drained), avocado, tomato, hard boiled eggs, sliced ucumber, sliced red bell pepper, chopped red onion, feta with balsamic dressing (make your own with a splash of balsalmic vinegar, a splash of olive oil and a bit of ground pepper)

salmon salad: bed of spinach, 1/2 can salmon (drained), green or red onion, shredded carrots, almond slices, cherry tomatoes, avocado if you like, sesame ginger dressing

barbecue chicken/pork salad: cook chicken or pork in advance. shred and coat with barbecue sauce. prepare bed of mixed greens, shredded carrots, diced red onion, black beans, corn, and avocado. add warm chicken on top with about 1tbsp of barbecue sauce. no other dressing needed!

i had many salad mishaps at first too making some pretty 'yuk' salads. a few tips i can offer are that the way you chop things definitely make a big difference. for example, onions in certain salads should be diced very finely but in other salads a thick chop might be better. experiment with how you cut things for optimum flavor. secondly, feta cheese can make almost any salad taste a whole lot better. third, when i try and come up with new salads i think of meals i already like (i.e. tuna sandwich or barbecue chicken) and think of how i can turn it into a salad. if i know the flavor combination works, i just have to figure out how to make it work as a salad. finally, i try and keep a few things in the pantry that make good salad toppers incase i'm runing low on fresh ingredients- frozen or canned peas, corn, black beans, white (cannelini) beans, kidney beans, water chestnuts, canned diced tomatoes, etc. all make great additions to salads in a pinch.

Great tips!! I've found a dressing I am in love with 'Maple Groves Fat Free Wasabi Dijon'. Yum yum, but I just didn't want to eat the same salad every day. . . it is so delicious I did not want to ruin it by over do-ing it! Thank you for the great tips!
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    kelsey here ---> your salads sound amazing and healthy...

everyone else on this thread are so fattening!!!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    do as the greeks do.. salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano, olive oil, balsamic (i think traditional is lemon juice, but i prefer balsamic)
    don't forget the feta and the kalamata olives.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I am looking for a list of salad topping ideas. What is your favorite combination of salad topping?! Right now I am just midlessly throwing a varity of items on top of my salad and today I did not master a delicious combination. . . its kinda yuk!! :noway:

11527915.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Crumbled blue cheese, sun flower seeds, plain yogurt mixed with a dash of hot sauce, crumbled up Sun Chips and half a can of Rotel Tomatoes and [don't laugh] pork rinds.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    wasabi peas!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Dried cherries.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Maple Grove does have some yummy fat free low cal dressings. I like their Caesar and Honey Dijon.

I love McCormick Salad Toppins for adding some crunch to my salads. Also love salmon or chicken and reduced fat feta for protein and added deliciousness. My veggies are any combination of spinach, romaine, cucumber, tomato, and carrots.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    kelsey here ---> your salads sound amazing and healthy...

everyone else on this thread are so fattening!!!

Wow that's really nice to put down others that are just trying to share their ideas. Just b/c there is fat in something does not mean its unhealthy. Our bodies need some fat in our diets. Someone might appreciate salad suggestions that help get in some fat in their day.